DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Trailer Trouble

I'm getting very hacked off with my trailer.

We took the RIB out of the water on saturday afternoon - I was being really careful, slowly powering onto the trailer until we (gently) touched the rollers, throwing the painter to secure her, switching off the engine, hopping over the side, and winching on the rest of the way onto the trailer. I can't think of another way of doing it more carefully. But I STILL managed to damage the gel-coat!! AGAIN.

I've tried with the rollers 'floppy' so that they can move with the hull, stiff so they won't, and yesterday was somewhere in the middle, so they wouldn't flop around, but would still move with the hull shape. The problem seems to be the shape of the rollers, and the hull shape - there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the two rollers and the middle 'axle' bit - and the chines catch each time (or the chines catch on the edge of the rollers, push the rollers over, and then sit on them end on - dinging the hull again). So far the damage seems to be confined to the outside edge of the chines.

It's got to the point where I'm tempted to do the rollers up as tight as I can, float her off the trailer (that's always been OK - so far) but then have to crane her out onto the trailer. Alternatively use a very steep slip and push the trailer in so far that I can float the boat on - and letting the RIB settle onto the trailer as we slowly pull her out.

Not happy. Any other suggestions?

D...

Old 06 December 2004, 05:11   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Is the trailer set up for the hull shape. May I suggest using a rope from the tow ball of the car, lower the trailer into the water then float the boat onto the trailer. I use to have a similar problem with an old trailer of mine with regards to the bar across the center of the trailer hitting the hull. I use plumbers insulating foam and taped this to the bar.

Old 06 December 2004, 06:27   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
It sounds like........

......the angle of the dangle to me. How steep is you're launch/recovery site ? A lesser incline may be the answer.
Old 06 December 2004, 10:31   #4
DGR

MeMe I think its the other way round. The slipway at the marina has a very gentle gradient. I already have to use a rope and wait for the tide to come in when we launch. It was easier on a steeper slip, like Jono's in Pwllheli. At least there only one roller turned over, and we could refloat the RIB while I turned it the right way.

I've been down to the RIB today, and I think I've seen what the problem is - see the attached pictures.

If you look at the picture of the damage, look at the flange on the inside edge of the roller. Then look at the picture looking along the roller bank - you can see how big the chine is at the back where it stops - further forward the vertical section is 2-3 times deeper (look at the front view). It looks to me that if the RIB is only 2 or 3 inches oneway or the other, and the vertical surface of the chine hits the inside of the roller - then the chine will run along the flange on the inside of the roller - which explains why the damage is confined to the chine edges.

Is this likely?

Dylan...

P.S. I was pondering this before I de-slimed the RIB - it's much cleaner now. I didn't fancy crawling around on the wet floor after I'd washed the hull off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMFront.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	9564   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMScrape.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	9565   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMRollers.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	9566  
Old 06 December 2004, 11:43   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Now I see the picture........

........it looks like you need to move the rear rollers (as viewed in the pic) out a touch. Ouch it's a nasy little graze you've picked up, right on the peak of the chine, that's a professional repair in my book ! Good luck. Oh and Dave Manning is a good one to seek trailer advice from.
Old 06 December 2004, 12:27   #6
DGR

MeMe - yes, I suspect your right about the professional repair - there are a couple of other little bits of trailer inflicted scuffing they can look at while they are doing it!!

What annoys me is that I've only ever damaged the thing getting it onto the trailer, and that looks like it's because it's a crap (or ill thought out) roller system. And I don't think that there is any lateral adjustment for the rollers either.

It looks to me like the only options are to do the rollers up tight, and either (a) get bigger roller wheels (?), or (b) get a grinder and take off the top of the flange (warranty? will they still work?).

Dylan...
Old 06 December 2004, 13:11   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just a thought but MAYBE some bits of garden hose sliced lengthways would give some protection between the rollers? Slip them over and put some small countersunk self tappers through the sides to keep them in place.
Old 06 December 2004, 13:17   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Whatever you do don't tie anything to the A frame!

I know what you mean with the trailer, we had this problem with the 7.8 Ribcraft i am involved with. we found an easy solution. We tied short lengths of bungee aroung the bottom rollers and then tied the other end to the chassis bed. This meant the rollers could move with the boat coming on to the trailer but not to much to flip over

You could move the rollers over laterally/laterlyarary/litoralyyre/lartatrolley sideways by getting a couple of mending plats (from B & Q) these are steel strips with holes drilled through them at regular intervals. By removing the roller arms you could bolt the mending plates on and shift the fulcrum of the roller arms along a bit.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2004, 16:01   #9

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
can't you get larger rollers (dia) looks as though its rubbing the wheel hub on the inside. if you could get larger rollers it should clear it. They look a bit small for the size of your boat. good luck.
Old 06 December 2004, 16:07   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Just a thought but MAYBE some bits of garden hose sliced lengthways would give some protection between the rollers? Slip them over and put some small countersunk self tappers through the sides to keep them in place.
That's a good idea! seems a very easy fix to me!

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote