Old 23 February 2011, 06:27   #11

Town: canterbury
Boat name: TT dougal
Make: valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
before panicing about the towing test please read about it and research lots before doing the towing test as most of us youngsters get caught in the trap.

basically without the towing test we are restricted to towing a max of i think 650kgs un braked or max gross weight of 3500kgs braked.
the confusion is that we cannot tow more than the car hand book states or more than the car weight, which ever is less

i.e my car is 1250 kgs which should leave me to be able to tow 2250kgs but because my car is only capable of 1250kgs my max gross is 2500kgs

or if your lucky enough to drive a 4x4 of some kind that for example weighs in at a possible 2800kgs then you can only tow 700kgs = total 3500kgs,,

this is where the towing test come in because like a 4x4 that weighs 2800kgs its hand book might rate the towing weight to 25000kgs. which would obviously put u above the 3500kgs max gross limit at 5300 kgs this is where your towing test comes in and is required...

this is why carefull research, car choices and dare i say it boat choice could keep you well within the law. the only one thing i would say is dont just take my word for it the info is on the dvla web site and they will give you all needed info on the phone and my local towing centers have flyers about it all be it a bit missleading..

regards
dougal

Old 23 February 2011, 07:04   #12

Length: 7m +
Im worried now, I didn't know there was a test, does that mean that ive been towing my boat ilegally ? Im confused. When I bought my 7.5M Cobra I towed it through the new forest and through Burley...that was quite a test avoiding tourists, horses, donkeys, even pigs !

Old 23 February 2011, 07:30   #13
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
@dougal_22 - there are a lot of people with this view on websites when talking about towing.

The reason I did the test was because I am towing 6 Laser Picos on one trailer. Each boat weighs 60Kg (hull weight only) without taking the trolleys and other parts into account. The trailer it sits on is a rib base with a frame work, etc etc.

So without going into it, the reason I did the test was so the 4x4 I am towing with has the man power to pull it up a hill.

I see what people say about oh, just buy a car that can tow it bla bla but for 500 I can now tow a large trailer/caravan/boat whenever I like till I need to renew my license in 45 years time.

I know from the school I did mine with, yes people do not know, and the only reason some are doing the test is because the Police are checking everynow and again. (18 year old friend keeps getting stopped by the police towing a 49er dinghy, hull weight 80kg, length - 16ft)
Old 23 February 2011, 07:35   #14

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Im worried now, I didn't know there was a test, does that mean that ive been towing my boat ilegally ? Im confused. When I bought my 7.5M Cobra I towed it through the new forest and through Burley...that was quite a test avoiding tourists, horses, donkeys, even pigs !
All depends on your licence, when you passed your test and how much your trailer weighs.

See this from the DVLA site, its what i had to go on.

A "B" licence allows for a driver to use a car up to 3500 KG's.
It also allows a trailer to be towed up to a max 750 KG's.
Therefore this has a combined weight of 4250 KG's and is allowed.

If your car weighs (unladen) 2500 KG's. You can tow a trailer of 1000 KG's on your "B" Licence as the total weight = 3500 Kg's.

Or if you car weighs 1500 KG's, you can tow a trailer of 1450 KG's. Giving a total weight of 2950 KG's.

It think this bit is probably what will refer to your set up.

If your trailer is over 750 KG's then you can tow it on your "B" licence provided your the trailer does not weigh more than the unladen car weight (the weight in your car manual) and does NOT go over 3500 Kg's combined trailer and car together.

DVLA LINK =

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073

Hope it helps

Cheers, Matt.
Old 23 February 2011, 08:34   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Forgive me Mark but I 'think' you may be 'mature' enough to not need a test .....assuming you passed your test before 1st Jan 1997 ......dont think the boat + trailer + car are over 8.25 tonnes ?

From : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...les/DG_4022564

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM
Old 23 February 2011, 09:03   #16

Town: canterbury
Boat name: TT dougal
Make: valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
dvla informed me on the phone on 2 seperate phone calls what i said was correct and it was only meant as a guide only.

max gross of 3.5t trailer not exceeding what its being towed with. i had a shetland 535 with a 50hp 2 stroke weighed on a wey bridge at just under 680kgs