Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 March 2013, 17:46   #1
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Trailer servicing parts 'package' Opinions?..

Thanks to SPR and treerat - posted the below in the trade section, but didn't realise that replies wouldn't be able to be posted!


Hi all

I appreciate that there's quite a few of you out there that are looking to service your own trailers, due to economic / time / logisitcal reasons.

I was thinking of putting together a trailer service parts 'package'.

i.e. a single and twin axle Alko one and a single and twin axle Knott one.

I think they'd include the normal bits - i.e. brake axle set (shoes and springs), brake cables, breakaway cable etc.

I'd be able to put them together, work out an appealing and average price, so there'd be no confusion about what a customer would need to order.

Ergo, there'd be one price for a single axle Alko, single axle Knott, twin axle Alko, twin axle Knott.

Do you think it's something that's worth doing and advertising on here?

Your wide and varied opinions would be gratefully received....
__________________

Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 17:48   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
I would be interested in that; even more so if you set up a funky site where I can add or remove bits and bobs I do or don't need. Eg. select a fairly generic trailer setup and be able to remove bits from the order that I don't need/are OK.
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 19:28   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Trailer Guy,

I guess I would wonder what else SHOULD be getting serviced but often gets neglected - perhalps hitch? rollers etc. Might just need a tube of grease. Put all that together with a set of instructions (clearly written with photos) and perhaps the option to buy any special tools and you might have something.

Clearly the perfect solution is I put in my model (and or serila number) of trailer and you tell me exactly what I need!
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 19:33   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Unfortunately, like most things in todays world, you will need to be price competitive. Having a very good trailer parts supplier, (that you pointed me towards ) I think that you would be struggling to meet their prices. So there is a challenge.
The other approaches to make yours a standout business is to have a USP, or just damn good service. So either a great web site, or a suitably reactive approach to customer enquiries.
Just my thoughts (after a bit too much tasty grape juice).
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2013, 04:20   #5
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
Trailerguy - it's a good idea.

As suggested - if you can add trailers onto the webpage with routine service items, then additional items such as hubs, tyres, etc.

This is the site I currently use: Trailer parts to fit all makes of car drawn trailers and caavans

Remember to add a field window to register as Ribnet member for discount!
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 14:30   #6
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I would be interested in that; even more so if you set up a funky site where I can add or remove bits and bobs I do or don't need. Eg. select a fairly generic trailer setup and be able to remove bits from the order that I don't need/are OK.
Like this idea TimM. Will look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Trailer Guy,

I guess I would wonder what else SHOULD be getting serviced but often gets neglected - perhalps hitch? rollers etc. Might just need a tube of grease. Put all that together with a set of instructions (clearly written with photos) and perhaps the option to buy any special tools and you might have something.

Clearly the perfect solution is I put in my model (and or serila number) of trailer and you tell me exactly what I need!
Reckon I could do that too Poly. The 'value add' being in the additional information. Unfortunately, as much as the 'input serial number' idea would be wonderful, I know for a fact that a lot of manufacturers don't even electronically record the serial numbers of the trailers they manufacture themselves, so identifying them that was would be nigh on impossible. I like the thinking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Unfortunately, like most things in todays world, you will need to be price competitive. Having a very good trailer parts supplier, (that you pointed me towards ) I think that you would be struggling to meet their prices. So there is a challenge.
The other approaches to make yours a standout business is to have a USP, or just damn good service. So either a great web site, or a suitably reactive approach to customer enquiries.
Just my thoughts (after a bit too much tasty grape juice).
Lubrication for the brain. Never a bad thing Well ref the parts pricing, I've now secured accounts with the manufacturers and suppliers who supply the 'big' names (i.e. Indespension etc), so now getting a price match (especially with the company I pointed you towards ) shouldn't now be too much of a stretch. I'm not too switched on with websites tbh - I did my own, which is fairly basic and does the job, but I'm a 'hammer and spanners' man if I'm honest. Is there anyone on here that does websites reasonably? Will also take on your comments reference comm's and enquiries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Trailerguy - it's a good idea.

As suggested - if you can add trailers onto the webpage with routine service items, then additional items such as hubs, tyres, etc.

This is the site I currently use: Trailer parts to fit all makes of car drawn trailers and caavans

Remember to add a field window to register as Ribnet member for discount!
Cheers Spartacus, good advice. Yes, I'll definitely look at the Ribnet discount thing, though perhaps I'll be competitive enough!



Well thanks all, your input is very much valued and appreciated.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 14:53   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Boat name: Viper
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 2x 90
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
I'd be interested in that too.

Much happier to go to someone I know and trust rather than trawl the internet each time looking to see who's best on price. I think your reputation on here would go a long way to give people confidence that the parts they were getting were the right ones, genuine and reasonably priced if maybe not the absolute rock bottom available at any one time.

__________________
oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 15:34   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
I'm not too switched on with websites tbh - I did my own, which is fairly basic and does the job, but I'm a 'hammer and spanners' man if I'm honest. Is there anyone on here that does websites reasonably?
I think spareribs it the guru

What you need is not overly sophisticated but its complicated enough to mean it won't be cheap. You really need to think through the hassle factor and if it is worth it. People expect fast response, low cost, your undying attention to sort the order your courier (or the customer) buggered up which is only making you 10 etc...
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 15:44   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle View Post
I'd be interested in that too.

Much happier to go to someone I know and trust rather than trawl the internet each time looking to see who's best on price. I think your reputation on here would go a long way to give people confidence that the parts they were getting were the right ones, genuine and reasonably priced if maybe not the absolute rock bottom available at any one time.

+1
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2013, 17:23   #10
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Thank you Oracle and IanM, that's very generous of both of you.

Poly, you have it worryingly accurate - I'm concerned now that I've left my webcam on and you've been laughing at my daily working activities...

as long as you didn't see that private dance I did for the gf, then it's all good..
__________________

Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.