Originally Posted by SteveHall
Go on, tell. What did you do?
Well most of what I did you won't need to do cos your trailer is loads younger than mine. I had to completely take apart the coupling, strip it, clean it, grease it, new damper, put back together.
Replace the brake cable from the coupling to the compensator with M10 threaded bar. Replace the bowden cables (the ones that go from the compensator to the individual hubs). Strip and clean the brakes and the bearings. Repack bearings and put it all back together. I also bought a spare set of brake shoes, and a spare drum and bearings so I now have a complete set of what might fail on the road.
I spent ages on it all though because I was going steady and learning it all. Reckon I could do the lot in a busy afternoon or a leisurely day now. One of the main things I learned is that with a straight punch (rather than a centre punch) drifting taper bearings in and out of hubs is actually loads easier than I feared it would be: done three now and it's a piece of piss.
Before I started it all I was thinking like you; "get a pro to do it", but I didn't in the end cos I'm too tight! I'm glad I did it myself now because I really know how the thing goes together and how it all works.