Old 27 January 2013, 02:35   #71
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
It is a piece of nomenclature that is grossly misused.
Well, you appear to be right about that bit
Quote:
On a dual carriageway, the overtaking lanes are the inside lanes.
But wrong about this one. Or maybe you are right, and everyone else is wrong (if you Google it you'll find that the dictionary definitions don't agree with you though)

Or maybe you prefer to overtake on the inside. That's generally frowned upon though

How about a boating analogy? Think of it like a river - in near the bank, or out in the middle.

Old 27 January 2013, 03:02   #72

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
I agree. Outside for overtaking, inside for drifting along Sunday drivers ;0)

Also, the only sure fire way to determine if you are on a motorway or A road )which could be multi laned or single carriageway) is that the motorway will have blue signs, and that means you can't go in the outside lane to overtake with a trailer.

This applies even when the motorway becomes two lanes, such as a slip road from one motorway to another.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 04:30   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Also, the only sure fire way to determine if you are on a motorway or A road )which could be multi laned or single carriageway) is that the motorway will have blue signs, and that means you can't go in the outside lane to overtake with a trailer.

This applies even when the motorway becomes two lanes, such as a slip road from one motorway to another.
B****KS - it only applies if there are three or more lanes. A trailer can use either of the two lanes.

In answer to the 4 lane dual - I think bits of the A1(M) around Newcastle (just to confuse thats a A road not an M road) now have 4 lanes where the left most lane is a merging sliproad and exit road and then there were two lanes, I think they've added a third lane. Must pay more attention when driving it...
Old 27 January 2013, 05:00   #74
Administrator

Town: Brighton
A1(M) is motorway though, not just a dual carriageway. Blue road signs and everything...
Old 27 January 2013, 10:42   #75

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
B****KS - it only applies if there are three or more lanes. A trailer can use either of the two lanes.

In answer to the 4 lane dual - I think bits of the A1(M) around Newcastle (just to confuse thats a A road not an M road) now have 4 lanes where the left most lane is a merging sliproad and exit road and then there were two lanes, I think they've added a third lane. Must pay more attention when driving it...
You might be right shinyshoe, but I'll stick to my rule if that's ok, and avoid a discussion with the boys in blue as to who is right or not.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 12:16   #76

Highway Code says the overtaking rule only applies to Motorways in the rightmost lane on carriageways with 3 or more lanes.

So, it only applies to one lane, the right one, where there are 3 or more, on a motorway. Motorways have blue signage.

IW
Old 27 January 2013, 14:05   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
A1(M) is motorway though, not just a dual carriageway. Blue road signs and everything...
This is where it helps if I ever read the road signs! The bit I was thinking of is green signs so no longer A1(M) but back to A1. (No hardshoulder).

However, that introduces an intersting dilema - the A1(M) northbound divides into the A194(M) off towards the Tyne Tunnel and the A1 round newcastle. To go on the A194(M) you leave the motorway from the outside (offside, right most) lane! Its a 3 laner at that point. Does that mean you can never legally take that exit with a trailer??!! or at least to be legal you should wait to the very last minute when the slip road lane splits to two lanes...

Link to streetview picture for info
(complete with the obligatory cones that never seem to go away!)
showmystreet.com - fast &easy street viewing
Old 27 January 2013, 14:23   #78

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
This is confusing!
Old 27 January 2013, 14:47   #79

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
My understanding is that you need to look at the white lines. In the link given the OS lane has closer dashes (indicating a more dangerous piece of road) this is then treated as a separate piece of road from the other two lanes so rather than being a 3 lane motorway it is a 2 lane and a 1 lane that then splits into two different roads.

There are similar bits of road all over the place: M3 J1 to J2 (M25 Junction) 2 left lanes for M25 & one right lane for M3, M25 from A3113 to M4 2 left lanes for M4 & 3 right lanes for M25, both of these are 15 minutes from me.
Old 27 January 2013, 14:54   #80

Pedantism is alive and well!