RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
This is where it helps if I ever read the road signs! The bit I was thinking of is green signs so no longer A1(M) but back to A1. (No hardshoulder).

However, that introduces an intersting dilema - the A1(M) northbound divides into the A194(M) off towards the Tyne Tunnel and the A1 round newcastle. To go on the A194(M) you leave the motorway from the outside (offside, right most) lane! Its a 3 laner at that point. Does that mean you can never legally take that exit with a trailer??!! or at least to be legal you should wait to the very last minute when the slip road lane splits to two lanes...

Link to streetview picture for info
(complete with the obligatory cones that never seem to go away!)
showmystreet.com - fast &easy street viewing
No there is provision to use a right lane which is an exit. Same at Charring Cross in Glasgow on M8. I will find you the exact words later...

HERE YOU GO: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/11/made (this is the Scottish legislation but thee will be a similar provision in England & Wales).

Quote:
Restriction on use of right-hand lane

11.—(1) This regulation applies to—

(a)a goods vehicle having a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes,
(b)a motor vehicle constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects the overall length of which exceeds 12 metres;
(c)a motor vehicle drawing a trailer; and
(d)a vehicle which is a motor tractor, a light locomotive or a heavy locomotive.
(2) Subject to the provisions of paragraphs (3) and (4) below, no vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be driven, or moved, or stopped, or remain at rest on the right-hand lane of a length of carriageway which has 3 or more traffic lanes at any place where all the lanes are open for use by traffic proceeding in the same direction.

(3) The prohibition contained in paragraph (2) above shall not apply to a vehicle—

(a)while it is being driven on any right-hand lane such as is mentioned in that paragraph insofar as it is necessary for the vehicle to be driven to enable it to pass another vehicle which is carrying or drawing a load of exceptional width; or
(b)so as to prevent that vehicle joining or leaving the motorway by means of a road giving access to or from that motorway on the right hand side of the carriageway.
(4) Nothing in this regulation shall have effect so as to require a vehicle to change lane during a period when it would not be reasonably practicable for it to do so without involving danger or injury to any person or inconvenience to other traffic.

(5) In this regulation—

“goods vehicle” and “maximum laden weight” have the same meanings as in Schedule 6 to the 1984 Act; and
“overall length” has the meaning given by regulation 3(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986(1)
Old 28 January 2013, 12:49   #82

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
It's been a while since I drove it, but the A12 has three lanes each way north of Chelmsford (I think - might be thinking of Witham?) and I think another stretch near Brentwood. The A1 had the odd stretch as well before it got A1(M)-ed.

On grounds I've never seen an artic in the outside lane on those stretches and coupled with a potentially career reducing smack by the traffic cops for the drivers thereof if it is illegal, I tend to go with "if they won't do it....."