Old 05 April 2006, 18:52   #1
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
Trailer recovery from the AA

This is for referance really.....

I was towing a trailer from Portsmouth to Norfolk this afternoon. Just left Portsmouth when one of the trailer tyres blew out. I didn't have a spare (silly I know; will definatly carry one from now on!!) so called the AA. They turned up about 90 minutes later, and declared that they could not get a replacement wheel (by the time they arrived it was about 9pm) so they would take my trailer (on the back of a recovery lorry) to a destination of my choice. I was on my way home, some 200 miles away, so that is where the trailer headed. I've just arrived home, and am currently awaiting my trailer to arrive on the lorry.

I thought it was worth noting to any AA members on here that the AA will recover any trailer upto 8m long on any AA membership, to the level of membership you have (ie they will only take it home for you if you have relay) for free. Uselful if your brakes fail or your wheel drops off!

Also worth noting is that AA patrol drivers are normally very obliging, and I speak from experiance when I say they don't mind reocovering your RIB for you with their van! (Although it's probably not in the rule book)

Jolly good service!

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 03:02   #2
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've found that once you get an AA Patrol to you, they will do just about anything possible to sort you out. When I trashed my trailer a few years ago they arranged to take it from London to the manufacturer somewhere in the Midlands with no problem at all!

John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 04:57   #3
Town: Bristol
Boat name: Moby Duck II
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 75h
Had a similar experience last year at the start of a weeks holday. A bearing went on the way into Lymington. The AA recovered the trailor took it to the slip, slipped the boat from the back of the recovery truck and took the trailor to marina trailor park as it was by then getting late. They then came back in the morning and recovered it to a menders. I was really impressed as this could have seriously put the mockers on a weeks boating.

BTW noticed the other day that you can get a disount on membership if you're a member of the RYA.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 05:02   #4
Town: Oxford
Length: no boat
Last time i called on the AA i had a Defender 110 with huge roof rack on it, with 4.8m avon inflatable on it, and was towing a 7m boat. Wheel bearing went on the landy, so the patrol recovered the landy on the back of the truck, while towing the boat. Fantastic as always.
Watersports and Event Photography, Oxford
Andy_Rs600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 06:31   #5
Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Great White
Make: Searider 5.4/Dory 13
Engine: 90hp(Rib),30hp(Dory)
Guess you did well out of that membership fee! One thing that I have noticed in teaching is how clueless most RIB owners or other towing drivers are that they are in fact required by law to carry a spare wheel for any trailer that you carry. This won't help if the bearings fail, but something to be aware of none the less. Up here the police are more frequently stopping people with all types of trailer to check it over (condition, load, lighting and securing), and are using this opportunity to check spare wheels too.
dogcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 07:09   #6
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I wonder if it is actually law - after all a car does NOT have to carry a spare - but IF you have one then the tyre must be legal.

Many cars these days don't even come with a spare - ferraris and even Mazda RX8s for example.
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 07:40   #7
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
I have to say I didn't think it was law. I think its a damn good idea though; I'll certainly be carrying one from now-on!
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 15:25   #8
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
My golf and humber were recovered on the M6 by the AA patrol and the guy was a ribber!!

Needless to say he was more interested in the RIB than the problem with car but who can blame him!!

A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 15:35   #9
Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
trailer length

'they will recover any trailer up to 8m'

do you know where this measurement is taken to/from?

Is it the back of the trailer trailer lighting board as this is part of the trailer or the furthest back point on the rig?

For RAC 'Arrival' what is the length?

Paul (probably over 8m) Beaurain
Paul Beaurain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2006, 15:54   #10
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
when i wa srecoverd of the m5 this year due to car breakin down they told me trailer can be no more than 18ft, allthough they did tow all 7.5mtrs of mine, as he was a nice chap,
i think you have to go up to van/commercial cover for any thing bigger

some one elses miss fortune!!

nugent is offline   Reply With Quote