Old 28 May 2014, 02:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Hi,
The bunks are simply 38 x 69 x 2400 long sw timber studs, wood stained and covered with foam pipe insulation - lashed up quickly and has stood up well to two seasons use so far, but carpet lined would be harder wearing.
Have since fitted a tow hitch for non road low speed towing or manual pulling using a dolly.
For a 3.8m boat I would recommend going for the larger trolley.
Attachment 95050
Attachment 95051Attachment 95052Attachment 95053
Looks good, and thanks for posting the piccies.

Did you try using the trolley at all without your additional bunks? How successful was it? Is your SIB an airfloor?

I need to keep the trolley as portable as possible, and so was hoping to avoid adding anything to it and was hoping that having 2' rubber snubbers running along where the tube / floor joins, in such a way that the ally floor is also supported, would be sufficient. Alternatively replacing the snubbers with rollers.

Just trying to find out how successful this is likely to be.

Thanks
Andrew

Old 28 May 2014, 11:17   #12

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Trailer reccomendations

Hi Andrew,
Not used trolley without bunks, and sib is ally floor. Personally I would be a bit nervous using trolley 'out the box' as standard supports not really sib friendly.
Boat lives on trolley for the season and launch/recover in surf so long bunks more practical, and packability not an issue.
Your proposal of 2' long padded snubbers plus an extended bow support should work fine and distribute the load enough to reduce pressure points on the floor. Would recommend transom is supported on rear snubbers to take weight of engine.
Have you considered transom wheels? Very popular on here and for good reason. I sometimes use them when the surf is big as recovery is much easier.

Attachment 95067

Old 28 May 2014, 11:27   #13

Yes, I've got transom wheels and would use them to launch. Problem is more when we're away in caravan and get pitched too far from water, the 380 is a heavy old beast to manoeuvre any distance by hand. I guess I could accept the outboard could go in the boot and I could settle for just the inflatable on the trailer.

Cheers
Old 28 May 2014, 13:38   #14

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
If you're just towing across campsite and launch/recovery with transom wheels then the standard supports on the trolley should be ok with a bit of extra padding - such as pipe insulation. The rear snubbers can turn through 90* and be adjusted to support transom with engine on. I've found it easier to pull with engine on as nose weight is much less.
Happy Boating