Old 12 September 2003, 09:32   #1

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Trailer Question

Hi All,

Calling on all you trailer experts out there, perhaps you can answer my question and put my mind at rest.

A couple of weeks ago, a suspension unit snapped on my SNIPE trailer which carries a 4m Avon Searider RIB with a Mercury 50HP engine. I searched around for ages for original SNIPE parts but could not get any. I was told by a couple of trailer shops that the suspension units were standard suspension units and as long as the load handling and measurements were met I could use any suspension unit. I measured up and finaly purchase a suspension unit rated at 750KG that met all the hole measurements on the trailer. They fitted perfectly and the trailer is now on the road again. I replaced the suspension units, hubs, bearings and also wheels on both sided of the trailer as it was quite old and I considered doing one side false economy.

After fitting, there was a couple of things I noticed. The wheels I purchased were slightly thinner than the original and I noticed that it specified maximum axle weight of 600KG.

Is 600KG enough to safely hold the above RIB with the engine, console and 50litres of fuel including a backup engine weighing 20KG and a few accessories such as life jackets etc ?

Secondly, I noticed that the wheels seemed to be closer to the frame than they were before. I then found out that there were 2 types of suspension units, a short stub and an extended stub. I had fitted the short stub. This seems to run fine and is far enough away that it does not interfere with the frame but I have a feeling that the old ones were the extended stub type.

Is this going to cause any handling problems ?
Does it matter that the wheels are slightly thinner than the previous ?

I replaced all of this because I have had a few problems with the trailer so I replaced everything including coupling, rollers and all the suspension and wheels.

Am I fine with what I have got or do I need to exchange a few items ?

Lastly, does anyone have an idea of what the total weight load is on the axle with all this combination ? Because of the wheels, it looks like my trailer is now rated for 600KG combined axle weight. Is this enough ?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve.
Old 12 September 2003, 12:33   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
?

Exasperated by such a long and complicated question I thought it quicker to put a cheque for £740 in the post. Buy a new one.
Old 12 September 2003, 12:54   #3

Trailer.

Not really, the total cost of parts came to around £200 which the previous owner is paying for. Plus it has been good experience. Not one that I would have wanted to do so soon but you live and learn.
Old 12 September 2003, 12:56   #4

Not really, the total cost of parts came to around £200 which the previous owner is paying for. It has been good experience as well, not one that I would have liked so soon after buying the RIB but you live and learn.
Old 12 September 2003, 14:14   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
How about a trip to the nearest weigh bridge or tip to check the weight ? Alternatively it can be done with maths and bathroom scales but I can't remember the formula, something like L1 x W1 = L1 x W2.

Pete
Old 12 September 2003, 14:32   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
How about a trip to the nearest weigh bridge or tip to check the weight ? Alternatively it can be done with maths and bathroom scales but I can't remember the formula, something like L1 x W1 = L1 x W2.

Pete
OK Smarty Pants then how is he gonna get the Rib upstairs to the Bathroom.......perhaps he lives in a Bungalow?

You might find the weight here

www.avoninflatables.co.uk
Old 12 September 2003, 16:56   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
You think he is going to have problems wait till you try it with your Avon

Pete
Old 13 September 2003, 17:16   #8

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Hi Slangley,

I have just replaced the axle on my trailer so i may be able to help. If the suspension units are rated at 750kg then that should beO.K. the tyres will be marked with a maximum load rating if that is 600kg then it will be per wheel.

You should therefore be fine with your setup. as your boat and trailer are unlikely to weigh more than 750KG.(ifit does you need brakes)

Its not a bad idea to go and check it (with fuel and all the other bits you may carry)at the local weighbridge. you can also check the nose weight this way. If you do ever get stopped for any reason you can then produce the evidence on the spot that all is in order.

as for the spacing as long as the tyres clear the chassis and it tows o.k dont worry.

Regards Chris
Old 13 September 2003, 18:15   #9

Many thanks for your replies. Just a note, the wheels specify total Axle weight i.e. 600KG together which I gather is 300KG per wheel. This is the same as the suspension units which state axlw weight of 750KG.

I am going to try and get it weighed. It seems to tow Ok so I think it will be Ok.

Steve.