Old 08 November 2015, 13:36   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Trailer parts and advice please

Firstly the winch strap has seen better days so going to replace that anyone recomend a good one and where to buy. 4m seems plenty long enough? 2000kg breaking strain enough? Winch is a T600

The trailer board doesn't work to well but hoping a couple of bulbs and perhaps a new light unit (one side lens is cracked) will sort that. Radex fitting 48539

There hitch has no safety chain, most i have seen the chain is welded to the neck of the trailer under the hitch. so how do I easily add one? Anyone know what size chain?

The rest of the trailer seems in good nick it had new hubs and tyres recently and fresh grease visible i want to order some spare bearings a where to order, but how do i find the right size the part number (what i though was the part number on the hub) doesn't come up on google.
URB012015-1 mean anything to anyone? Its on a label on the side of the hub.
Old 08 November 2015, 16:00   #2

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Firstly the winch strap has seen better days so going to replace that anyone recomend a good one and where to buy. 4m seems plenty long enough? 2000kg breaking strain enough? Winch is a T600
A few folks on here have replaced the webbing with dynema rope.

Quote:
The trailer board doesn't work to well but hoping a couple of bulbs and perhaps a new light unit (one side lens is cracked) will sort that. Radex fitting 48539
If replacing fiitings may be worth a look at LED lighting options. Thread on here - read it all - you need to know if your car will flash the lights with the canbus data.
Quote:
There hitch has no safety chain, most i have seen the chain is welded to the neck of the trailer under the hitch. so how do I easily add one? Anyone know what size chain?
Mine is bolted on as far as I know (trailer safety chain | eBay) . But you could lop it round and shackle it?
Quote:
The rest of the trailer seems in good nick it had new hubs and tyres recently and fresh grease visible i want to order some spare bearings a where to order, but how do i find the right size the part number (what i though was the part number on the hub) doesn't come up on google.
URB012015-1 mean anything to anyone? Its on a label on the side of the hub.
The part number should be on the bearing. Assuming this is a non breaked trailer with a 4 stud hub 4" PCD, they are standard hubs (the 2015 makes me think they were new this year not a part no but a batch no) and the bearings would *probably* be standard 44634 1" taper bearings probably with an L on the end for the inside one.
Single bearing costs < £4, whole hub and bearings £15 (Often easier at the roadside to replace the hub!)
Old 08 November 2015, 18:34   #3

Thanks Shiny the hubs are apparently new so maybe right about a batch number.

I looked at LED lights and for now happy to just get trailer board legal although next year may well go LED submersible (expensive at the moment)

Dynema rope looks interesting what size? Looks ideal as a towing rope somight get some for that. I was looking for one of the blue webbing straps with red handle anyone know where to get them?

Thanks for the reply
Old 08 November 2015, 19:24   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase

Dyneema every time for the winch. In theory 6mm will suffice, but go for 10 or 12 mm for ease of handling & to prevent it cutting in on itself on the winch drum. I wouldn't use it for a tow rope as it has no stretch whatsoever, tow ropes need a bit of give.

These will make up anything you want for a good price

http://www.yachtropes.co.uk/dsm-products/braided-ropes
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2015, 19:33   #5

only need a short length 4m or so for winch, what's the best way to fix it to the winch with a bolt like the strap? Any recomendations on a rope to keep for use towing? Ideally strong enough to use to ease trailer (laden) across wet sand clear of breaking waves so i can hitch to car. (not ideal but in case there is no 4x4 to assist)
Old 08 November 2015, 19:37   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase

Re fixing to the winch. You want a soft eye splicing in at the winch end, just put the bolt through it. You need to measure it so that even at full extension, there are at least 3 turns left on the drum.

I'd use some 12mm nylon for a tow rope.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2015, 19:42   #7

Cheers, craft is 3.3m but only winch 2m max most of the time 3.5m of line would winch it off the deck in theory........ (would need assistance to do that in reality)
Old 08 November 2015, 20:21   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Cheers, craft is 3.3m but only winch 2m max most of the time 3.5m of line would winch it off the deck in theory........ (would need assistance to do that in reality)
You'll be happier if you fill the drum (almost) with dyneema - easier to wind in a full drum (less turns).

It's legend, BTW.
Old 08 November 2015, 21:12   #9

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Re fixing to the winch. You want a soft eye splicing in at the winch end, just put the bolt through it. You need to measure it so that even at full extension, there are at least 3 turns left on the drum.

I'd use some 12mm nylon for a tow rope.

.....sh1t happens.......

Takes 1 m per splice & they will make you a nice tow rope as well 👍http://www.yachtropes.co.uk/dsm-products/braided-ropes
Old 21 February 2016, 21:14   #10

In the end I got a longer strap for winch filled the drum so nicer gearing replaced a light cluster and bolted on a safety chain and a bulb all good..... still need to sort some hubs/bearings. Jockey wheel needs some work but easy enough...... Now just need the weather to clear so I can get out on the water lol.....