Old 09 June 2008, 09:30   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50Hp
Trailer Parking Problems

Hi,

I’ve been lurking here on ribnet for some time now & it has been a valuable source of information for me as in my first year with a rib. Some really excellent information on using & maintaining my boat/engine – thanks everyone!

Anyway, to get to the point – I have overcome most of the usual learning scenarios encountered when new to boating, (towing, launch & recovery etc) but have one problem that remains that I would like to hear some other opinions on as quite frankly, it is driving me potty as to what the best solution maybe.

The problem that remains is that when I have finished my days boating I have difficulties when I return home. I keep my rib in the garage & our driveway is 30M long & on a step(ish) incline (150mm in 1M – aprox 9 Degs). If I can get to the drive it is not too much of a problem to reverse the trailer (although my trailer reversing skills are still pretty poor) but 50% of the time someone will be parked opposite & I cannot turn the car & trailer the 90 Degs into the driveway. This leave me stranded on the road. As the boat/trailer/engine etc are not particularly heavy – aprox 400KG (guessing at 150KG rolling load up the hill), I have so far (with the help of the wife) been able to push the boat from the road to the garage but this is not an ideal situation. Additional it is made more difficult by the fact that the ‘drop’ curb is not a true drop & more of a step (aprox 50mm). This takes a bit of a run up to overcome which is not always possible depending on where cars are parked. I have looked in depth at a couple of solutions & neither are perfect (1) pull boat from a winch in the garage & (2) fit a drivable jockey wheel (Hitchline or similar).

I’m interested to hear if anyone has encountered a similar problem & what their solution was. I have thought a lot about the problem & possible solutions but now would value some fresh thinking before I finalize a way forward.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Have you thought about a front towball?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 10:10   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Block and tackle/rope and pulley system. Cheap as you wish and dead easy.
Old 09 June 2008, 10:13   #4

Nos4r2,

That is an interesting idea - fitting a front tow hitch - not one that I have considered. Unfortunately I have a Vauxhall Zafira so I don't think that it would be an option at present.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09 June 2008, 10:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Block and tackle/rope and pulley system. Cheap as you wish and dead easy.
Jono,

I have considered this & think that the idea has merit - there are a couple of aspects that I can't think through though: (1) how much rope? I was thinking that the pulley system would need 3-4 pulleys to reduce the weigh sufficently - would i then need 120-150M of rope to pull the length of the drive? thats a lot of rope! (2) I would like to pull up the boat back first but would like to be at the front of the trailer to steer (& manage the nose weight) this would be a bit ackward don't you think?

Is this something that you have tried?

Thanks,

Paul H.
Old 09 June 2008, 10:36   #6

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_H View Post
Additional it is made more difficult by the fact that the ‘drop’ curb is not a true drop & more of a step (aprox 50mm). This takes a bit of a run up to overcome which is not always possible depending on where cars are parked.
Not a complete solution but you could make 2 small permanent ramps for the trailer wheels by mixing up a some cement/chippings. This would at least make it easier to overcome your 'drop' curb.

Even if you then later went for another option (block and tackle, drivable jockey wheel etc) this would certainly help cusion the blow.
Old 09 June 2008, 10:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Not a complete solution but you could make 2 small permanent ramps for the trailer wheels by mixing up a some cement/chippings. This would at least make it easier to overcome your 'drop' curb.

Even if you then later went for another option (block and tackle, drivable jockey wheel etc) this would certainly help cusion the blow.
Andy,

Totally agree - this part of the problem needs resolving as a seperate issue. I will make something up out of ply or steel sheet - I don't know how the council would view me 'adding' to THIER road with concrete or ashphalt.

Thanks,

Paul H.
Old 09 June 2008, 11:03   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Paul - until a year ago I was in a similar situation to you and frequently considered fitting some sort of winch. I solved the problem by moving house!

Quote:
Jono,

I have considered this & think that the idea has merit - there are a couple of aspects that I can't think through though: (1) how much rope? I was thinking that the pulley system would need 3-4 pulleys to reduce the weigh sufficently - would i then need 120-150M of rope to pull the length of the drive? thats a lot of rope! (2) I would like to pull up the boat back first but would like to be at the front of the trailer to steer (& manage the nose weight) this would be a bit ackward don't you think?

Is this something that you have tried?

Thanks,

Paul H.
You wouldn't get me standing downhill from any trailer being pulled up on pulleys or winch, unless it was very carefully designed, if a single part fails - it will run you down (I am guessing you don't have breaks on a 500 kg trailer/load).

It looks like you can get a (removable) front tow ball for a Zafira though - http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acata...h-Towbars.html

Might be just as cheap as a decent winch by the time you get it all set up? Although if you change your car frequently it will be a PITA.
Old 09 June 2008, 11:16   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Andy,

Totally agree - this part of the problem needs resolving as a seperate issue. I will make something up out of ply or steel sheet - I don't know how the council would view me 'adding' to THIER road with concrete or ashphalt.

Thanks,

Paul H.
I doubt they'd notice if no-one told them...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 12:04   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Can you use the trailer winch to pull the outfit up the drive?. As it's 30m, you'll need to have a few shots at it, but it may be an easy and cheap solution.
Remember to secure the bow eye of your boat to the trailer winch post (should already be done anyway).
Old 09 June 2008, 14:22   #11

[QUOTE=Polwart;251729] Paul - until a year ago I was in a similar situation to you and frequently considered fitting some sort of winch. I solved the problem by moving house!/QUOTE]

Polwart,

Thanks for the suggestion - we only moved last October. I'm sure the wife would be pleased to up sticks again ;-)
Old 09 June 2008, 14:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Can you use the trailer winch to pull the outfit up the drive?. As it's 30m, you'll need to have a few shots at it, but it may be an easy and cheap solution.
Remember to secure the bow eye of your boat to the trailer winch post (should already be done anyway).
Downhilldai,

I thought about doing it this way but concluded it would be too slow. Winch moves aprox 150mm per Revolusion & as you say it would take a few shots to get to the top of the drive.

Thanks - Paul H.
Old 09 June 2008, 14:43   #13

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Take the neighbours out for a day on the water and get them to help you manhandle the boat back into the garage. Next time you go out, ask if they'd move the car for a few minutes whilst you reverse up the drive!
Old 09 June 2008, 14:52   #14

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
How about if you sunk an eye into the ground at top and bottom of driveway attach a single snatch block to each eye. Run rope from trailer to upper block back under trailer to lower block and then to car tow bar.use car to pull it up. When done just unhook blocks and store the kit ready for next time or for lowering back down driveway.
Old 09 June 2008, 15:38   #15

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Nos4r2,

That is an interesting idea - fitting a front tow hitch - not one that I have considered. Unfortunately I have a Vauxhall Zafira so I don't think that it would be an option at present.

Thanks anyway.
HI Paul,

try watling engineering, they say they can supply a front tow bar for any type of car

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/front_towbars.html

regards

Mark
Old 09 June 2008, 15:49   #16

Town: Fareham
My Father has a very steep drive and a caravan. I installed a heavy duty boat winch coupled to a towbar hook that was connected to the hitch in the usuall manner and then winched up as per normal, the boat winch has the added advantage of the ratchet and low gear ratio

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 16:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
Take the neighbours out for a day on the water and get them to help you manhandle the boat back into the garage. Next time you go out, ask if they'd move the car for a few minutes whilst you reverse up the drive!
Tim,

The neighbours are very obliging & are willing to move cars to improve the access were possible but as they have 3 cars on the drive most of the time I feel like a right pain in the backside for asking I am hoping to find a solution that is quick, safe, minimizes disruption, cheap(ish), suitable for (mostly) single handed operation & most of all, with the all of the above solved, ensures that I enjoy my days out boating.

Surely there must be others out there who have encountered & solved similar scenarios

Thanks - Paul H.
Old 09 June 2008, 16:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My Father has a very steep drive and a caravan. I installed a heavy duty boat winch coupled to a towbar hook that was connected to the hitch in the usuall manner and then winched up as per normal, the boat winch has the added advantage of the ratchet and low gear ratio
Hightower,

Yes this would work but it would be a long way to winch (30M). How long was your Dads drive? You are right though, the ratchet has a good safety advantage.

Thanks - Paul H.
Old 09 June 2008, 16:20   #19

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Hightower,

Yes this would work but it would be a long way to winch (30M). How long was your Dads drive? You are right though, the ratchet has a good safety advantage.

Thanks - Paul H.
Hey, point taken! Hmm, still it's a long way for a block and tackel too. You'll be tieing yourself in knots

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 16:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Hey, point taken! Hmm, still it's a long way for a block and tackel too. You'll be tieing yourself in knots
Hightower,

Totally agree... This problem is doing my head in!!! If only I could find one simple solution! It seems that everything (winching, pulling, pushing etc) has its pro's & con's & I'm struggling to see a clear direction to go in.