Old 15 July 2015, 22:17   #1

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
Trailer nose weight

hi, when I bought my Rib it had none or very little nose weight,by adjusting bunks and winch post and moving rib forward I got it to a reasonable weight. I now want to fit a skimming transducer but because the boat is further forward the transducer is fouling the bunk.
Would it be ok to move boat back so transom is not going up as far as bunks,adjust the winch post and shorten the trailer to achieve a decent nose weight?
Old 15 July 2015, 22:52   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
You could just fit an adjustable transducer mount and simply slide it up out of the way when needed. The weight on the front of the tow-ball should be around 10% of the whole rig weight ie a 1 ton boat outfit should be putting around 100kg of downward force on the hitch easy to test with bathroom scales if your setup isnt too big. (or so Ive always been told)
Jon
Old 15 July 2015, 23:13   #3

Town: Midlands
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
You need hitch weight, can get twitchy without..
Old 16 July 2015, 07:16   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Can't you shorten the bunk? The face of the transducer only needs to be around 6mm lower than the hull. I'd be looking at curing the problem at source rather than upsetting the whole rig. That's curing one problem & creating another.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2015, 07:53   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Move the axles back to achieve the nose weight, that has the same affect as moving the boat forward be a shame to start cutting lumps off the trailer
Old 16 July 2015, 07:56   #6

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Move the axles back to achieve the nose weight, that has the same affect as moving the boat forward be a shame to start cutting lumps off the trailer
That's the one. :thumbup:
Old 16 July 2015, 08:36   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
The weight on the front of the tow-ball should be around 10% of the whole rig weight ie a 1 ton boat outfit should be putting around 100kg of downward force on the hitch easy to test with bathroom scales if your setup isnt too big. (or so Ive always been told)
Jon
So a 3.5 tonne trailer has around 350 kg on the hitch

Best to look at the car towing rating and the hitch rating to get an idea of maximum load on the hitch.
Old 16 July 2015, 09:12   #8

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I must admit I've never used scales to measure the nose weight on my SBS trailer. I fitted a slider to lift the transducer out of the way and tend to load the boat for the holiday by checking with a frequent lift at the front. I did move the axle and winch post to provide probably 20 lbs of positive weight at the front but if I fill the petrol tank I add another 120 Kilos !
Old 16 July 2015, 09:38   #9

Town: Midlands
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
Max nose weight on the average family car is 75KG, I personally aim for 40KG so it's manageable.
Old 16 July 2015, 14:27   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Tongue weight should be in the 7-10% range. Too light, and the trailer becomes unstable while towing; too heavy, and you load the tow vehicle too much (which isn't much of a problem on heavier vehicles, but can affect steering near the TV's limit.)

As Beamishken said, if you can't move the boat, move the axle.

jky
Old 16 July 2015, 14:36   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Tongue weight should be in the 7-10% range.

jky
On a 3500 kg trailer???
Old 16 July 2015, 16:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
On a 3500 kg trailer???
Different ideas in USA!

I always thought 75kg was the max recommend nose weight untill I read a thread on here & I double checked my 3500kg goods trailer has a max nose weight of 150kg on the hitch so clearly can't get to 7% let alone 10% my hilux pickup rated to tow 2700kg has a max nose weight stamped on the tow bar of 120kg so you can't get anywhere near 7 or 10%
Personally if I'm loading my goods trailer I watch the suspension on the tow car & watch untill it sits down a little & that's good enough with a boat if it's a sizeable boat if I struggled to lift the front of the trailer then that's usually ok
If you get problems with snaking and you have 75kg on your hitch then there is a good chance that there is something else wrong with the combination
Old 16 July 2015, 16:48   #13

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Tongue weight should be in the 7-10% range. Too light, and the trailer becomes unstable while towing; too heavy, and you load the tow vehicle too much (which isn't much of a problem on heavier vehicles, but can affect steering near the TV's limit.)

As Beamishken said, if you can't move the boat, move the axle.

jky
Hi all

Why not just put some ballast at the front in your boat.
Old 17 July 2015, 09:18   #14

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
Hi all

Why not just put some ballast at the front in your boat.
ThAt would mean the boat would be slower and the transducer would still foul on the bunk. The trailer is too big for the boat so after advice from a trailer company I'm going to move boat back to end of bunks and have drawbar shortened to give me a nose weight of approx 50 kg.
Old 17 July 2015, 09:42   #15

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb779 View Post
ThAt would mean the boat would be slower and the transducer would still foul on the bunk. The trailer is too big for the boat so after advice from a trailer company I'm going to move boat back to end of bunks and have drawbar shortened to give me a nose weight of approx 50 kg.
Hi

When I say ballast,what mean is when towing for example if you have a caravan you can't move the shell up and down the trailer,The stuff you have carry in the van your suit case's awning you would move to the front to the front to give you the tow hitch weight .
Old 17 July 2015, 14:23   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb779 View Post
Seems a shame to chop down the trailer!
Removing a chunk from the front might not achieve what you want as the gain will be marginal
Moving weight forward or bunks forward or pivot point (axle) rearwards is the best option
It's also easier to reverse a trailer with a longer draw bar
Old 18 July 2015, 04:09   #17

Quote:
So a 3.5 tonne trailer has around 350 kg on the hitch

Best to look at the car towing rating and the hitch rating to get an idea of maximum load on the hitch.
Sorry about the misinformation you must have quite different rules in the UK but thats how things are in this part of the world (like the US too) Frequently Asked Questions - Frequently Asked Questions - hayman reese

I didnt relise the person asking the question had a 3.5 ton boat as his bio says 3m+ with a 20hp outboard.

Jon
Old 18 July 2015, 07:42   #18
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Sorry about the misinformation you must have quite different rules in the UK but thats how things are in this part of the world (like the US too) Frequently Asked Questions - Frequently Asked Questions - hayman reese

I didnt relise the person asking the question had a 3.5 ton boat as his bio says 3m+ with a 20hp outboard.

Jon
You quoted 1000kg not many cars in the UK can have 10% of that weight on the tow hitch.
The only way is to see what the tow car is rated at and set nose weight accordingly
Old 18 July 2015, 09:16   #19

Quote:
You quoted 1000kg not many cars in the UK can have 10% of that weight on the tow hitch.
The only way is to see what the tow car is rated at and set nose weight accordingly
Many of our cars like the US are v8 or v6 and easily capable of towing with 100kg even much more on the tow hitch, though most boaties have 4x4s for towing and launching their boats.

100kg on the hitch is only like having one average sized person these days sitting in the boot or two bags of cement. A ford falcon can tow up to 2300kg.Top 10 vehicles for towing: Car Reviews | CarsGuide

Sorry Im not quite getting your point but 1 ton or 1000kg would work out at 100 kg on the tow ball (10%), my mates with boats close to 4 tons use Ford f350s to tow them and have around 350-400kg on their tow-balls. The utility vehicles in the link are built to cary at least 1 ton in the rear tray, some more.

Jon
Old 18 July 2015, 10:04   #20
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Many of our cars like the US are v8 or v6 and easily capable of towing with 100kg even much more on the tow hitch, though most boaties have 4x4s for towing and launching their boats.

100kg on the hitch is only like having one average sized person these days sitting in the boot or two bags of cement. A ford falcon can tow up to 2300kg.Top 10 vehicles for towing: Car Reviews | CarsGuide

Sorry Im not quite getting your point but 1 ton or 1000kg would work out at 100 kg on the tow ball (10%), my mates with boats close to 4 tons use Ford f350s to tow them and have around 350-400kg on their tow-balls. The utility vehicles in the link are built to cary at least 1 ton in the rear tray, some more.

Jon
Have a look here for a lot of UK spec cars

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1...oseweights.pdf

3.5T Universal Coup with 32mm Pin - Dixon-Bate