Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ wot he said+1
If you've never winched a boat onto a un-hitched trailer on a steep slip, give it a try, you'll need a step ladder to reach the winch. I've done it on a flat beach a couple of times & it's no fun.
What about a couple of jockey wheels on the back of the trailer either side ,jacked down pre recovery ,someone must have tried this ,not sure they would last long ,and reckon I could guarantee leaving them down to drive home, but may work ?
Old 19 July 2017, 09:06   #42

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
I wouldn't get too hung up in the maths - you typically need to be operating waaay below rated capacity or the speeds get too slow
Old 19 July 2017, 09:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
What about a couple of jockey wheels on the back of the trailer either side ,jacked down pre recovery ,someone must have tried this ,not sure they would last long ,and reckon I could guarantee leaving them down to drive home, but may work ?
If it's steep enough, you might get past this issue - you might be hooked up at the nose before the weight gets applied to the rear rollers to induce tipping. Try it.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:25   #44

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Trailer Mounted Electric Winch for lowering trailer down slipway

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
I wouldn't get too hung up in the maths - you typically need to be operating waaay below rated capacity or the speeds get too slow

Yup[emoji106] I was being theoretical. That's why I said you need a "monster" (winch) if I'd said you need a 9000kg winch, some smart arse would have come along & said "hang on, you only need 750kg" [emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 09:29   #45

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
If it's steep enough, you might get past this issue - you might be hooked up at the nose before the weight gets applied to the rear rollers to induce tipping. Try it.
On that slip mine tips when recovered on a rope, his will be similar. I need 1.5 persons to keep the hitch down during winching.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:38   #46

Quote:
yes I have rollerbunk system which I replaced from swinging cradle rollers and it does perform a little better I think athough I don't know why but like you say it is a major issue , ,maybe the right answer is slowly coming out of the discussion ,
after I said jockey wheels I thought why not a couple of trailer jacks set an inch or two above the road ? , after I said measuring the slime area I thought mabe just a 4metre extension on the trailer will put the disco on cleaner ground
thanks guys its all good ,I will get there I reckon and maybe even without a winch ,the simple solutions are always the best
Old 19 July 2017, 10:17   #47

Quote:
after I said measuring the slime area I thought mabe just a 4metre extension on the trailer will put the disco on cleaner ground
Rigid extension bar will probably scrape the top of the slip, when the car will be level and the trailer still on the slope. There's a sharp transition at the top of the slip.
Old 19 July 2017, 11:17   #48

Old 19 July 2017, 16:31   #49

Just had a thought, if you can get a rope tied at top of slip to something substantial you could maybe look at if a wheel winch would work., it is common off road and i assume will fit your landy. It is basically a car wheel you bolt onto your alloy and the car is the winch.

A little outside the box but thought I would throw it in there.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...44aq_sy8ak-vM:
Old 20 July 2017, 08:04   #50

Had a measure up at nearly low water yesterday , 27metres of slope to water , approx. another 3 1/2 metres of slightly sloping ground above which I would not like to unhitch safely , worked the slip out at only about 12 degrees but not sure one measurement is right ,so need to recheck , only about max 10metres of slime at moment
so reckon trailer winch is only way ,won,t need it at all at highish water but when low I think back the rig onto the dry non slippy part and then attach winch and remove from towball ,then will only need max 15metres of cable to get launched or retrieved ,
still need to examine the unhitche retrieve scenario
Old 20 July 2017, 08:20   #51

I feel you're possibly jumping at a solution without fully evaluating/exploring all options
Old 20 July 2017, 09:32   #52

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Had a measure up at nearly low water yesterday , 27metres of slope to water , approx. another 3 1/2 metres of slightly sloping ground above which I would not like to unhitch safely , worked the slip out at only about 12 degrees but not sure one measurement is right ,so need to recheck , only about max 10metres of slime at moment
so reckon trailer winch is only way ,won,t need it at all at highish water but when low I think back the rig onto the dry non slippy part and then attach winch and remove from towball ,then will only need max 15metres of cable to get launched or retrieved ,

Beware of launching as well as recovering onto/off an un-hitched trailer. As the boat comes off, the drawbar will suddenly shoot up in the air & the rear will take a dive. You run the risk of getting twatted by the hitch, & hitting the transom on the slip.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 20:02   #53
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Beware of launching as well as recovering onto/off an un-hitched trailer. As the boat comes off, the drawbar will suddenly shoot up in the air & the rear will take a dive. You run the risk of getting twatted by the hitch, & hitting the transom on the slip.

There speaketh a man with experience.

If the slip is ok in summer then the problem in winter isn't just rain is it? I've launched (albeit smaller boats) on some pretty grotty slips with a bit of thought/effort and no special equipment - including just a two wheel drive car and standard road tyres.

First before you start remove as much slime, weed etc as you can. A shovel will help. Then get some sand or gravel from the beech (or bring some with you, e.g. Road grit if it's all mud). Apply liberally to the areas your tyres will go. Brush it in with a stiff broom. Add some extra any place you might expect to struggle. If you need a safety net then a scaffolding board (or two screwed together if your wheels are chunky) will normally chock a low speed glide - if you were really worried you could lash/anchor them in place. If it's actually icy a couple of buckets of sea water will usually sort things (or bring some road salt).

The only time I've needed external help was recovering over wet sloping grass, and the car got out on its own but couldn't get enough traction to pull the boat too. I bought some plastic grids to help with grip after that but have never needed them again even in snow on flat ground.
Old 22 July 2017, 20:44   #54

Quote:
I'm thinking that when reversing with the cable, the trailer didn't need "hand steering" if I was careful enough to make sure it points straight down. In such a case I wonder if it's possible to do it single handed with a way to watch the trailer? A mirror or a webcam?

Towing the boat up also never needed hand steering - it's usually heavy enough to straighten itself up. The most difficult but is getting the boat onto unhitched trailer, because the trailer tips.
Old 22 July 2017, 21:32   #55
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
If you really want to go for a winch then a 2-stroke capstan winch would be a better option than anything electric.
http://treadlightforestry.co.uk/prod...cma-vf80-bolt/
Old 23 July 2017, 07:19   #56

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
If you really want to go for a winch then a 2-stroke capstan winch would be a better option than anything electric.
DOCMA VF80 Bolt - Treadlight Forestry
we used them when we done our chainsaw tickets awesome piece of kit
Old 23 July 2017, 07:41   #57

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://images.lowes.ca/pdf/12178/te...lerecovery.pdf

02-1 is quite a useful guide on loads.
Old 03 July 2019, 21:18   #58

Quote:
Hi All , my regular slipway is Levington Marina ,which is fine in summer when dry ,but in Autumn /winter it gets very slippery in the lower section and to give an idea I have backed down and with all breaks on the discovery the boat is still pulling it down the slip until the boat floats itself removing the weight ,a bit scary , ....there is an option of a cable but the car has to be 50metrs from the slip to allow for tidal variation making it a 2 man job talking on mobiles
As for me I need a single handed launch so my idea is to mount a electric winch and 12v battery on the a frame ,then I can park at the top of the slipway ,transfer the trailer to the winch then push over the edge and go with a wired remote to lower the rig down the slip while walking (or skating) down beside it
Has anybody got this set up or used similar ????.. any help ,ideas, opinions would be very interesting , there maybe a huge oversight on my part here but please tell me what you think as there is some money to be spent to get to test stage
Had some great responses to this post ,but never quite got anything done ,however today i recovered a landrover defender from the bottom of the slipway ,was in half way up the windscreen ,so know i need to do something as when the tide is low its lethal , my favoured option is al-ko braked hand winch mounted on trailer (poss winch post round wrong way ) will need some props on back corners of trailer i think . would have hoped to get a photo however the guy was so peed off i did,nt wish to add to his humiliation
Old 05 July 2019, 21:47   #59

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
That slip at the marina is certainly the steepest slip I have ever seen and used and once was plenty for me!

After that once, it was never again for myself and my dive club.

My view is it's quite a danger but I guess it's all about what you get used too.

Cheers Dave
Old 06 July 2019, 07:25   #60

Quote:
Had some great responses to this post ,but never quite got anything done ,however today i recovered a landrover defender from the bottom of the slipway
What I did a few times was to pull the trailer up on a 5m rope when only by myself - at least I could see then what's happening. Whenever I was with someone, we always used the steel cable and mobile phone.

I hope that Landy is ok.