Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Trailer lighting cable

Anybody thinking of re-wiring their trailer over the winter, this maybe of interest

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/7-cor...-21a-15mm.html
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 22:41   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Maybe this is of interest too? How anyone can bear flakey 7pin electrics is beyond me so the first job on my new (used) trailer was to convert to 13pin and I can't get over the quality of this plug with gold plated pins for just £4 (inc delivery) from a UK seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Pin-To.../232886674254?

I wrapped a few turns of self-amalgamating tape around the thinner 7pin cable to ensure the gland still has a watertight seal.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:32   #3

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
While you are on with the electrics, these are good and save having to test the fuse. These glow if they blow https://ebay.us/6NA2rX
Old 19 October 2018, 21:16   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It's not the wiring I'm worried about, it's the bayonet filament bulbs and lightboard connections. I've yet to haul the lightboard out and not have a bulb out issue. LED is the future.
Old 19 October 2018, 22:23   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
It's not the wiring I'm worried about, it's the bayonet filament bulbs and lightboard connections. I've yet to haul the lightboard out and not have a bulb out issue. LED is the future.

Yup, sealed LED is the way to go.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 19 October 2018, 23:03   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Disagree. I have gone back to old school as to many led bulbs kept blowing. On one journey up west I finished with two working.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:22   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Disagree. I have gone back to old school as to many led bulbs kept blowing. On one journey up west I finished with two working.

There’s LEDs & LEDs Billy. My trailer came with them built in. 3 seasons on & still going strong. They’ve probably done about 15k miles, been submerged at every launch & recovery, & are maintenance free. Conventional trailer boards were a constant battle to the point I considered them as being disposable.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:36   #8

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Maybe this is of interest too? How anyone can bear flakey 7pin electrics is beyond me so the first job on my new (used) trailer was to convert to 13pin and I can't get over the quality of this plug with gold plated pins for just £4 (inc delivery) from a UK seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Pin-To.../232886674254?

I wrapped a few turns of self-amalgamating tape around the thinner 7pin cable to ensure the gland still has a watertight seal.

Have a look at his eBay business information and you will see he is not actually a UK seller
Old 20 October 2018, 09:03   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
There’s LEDs & LEDs Billy. My trailer came with them built in. 3 seasons on & still going strong. They’ve probably done about 15k miles, been submerged at every launch & recovery, & are maintenance free. Conventional trailer boards were a constant battle to the point I considered them as being disposable.

Great that’s what I would have expected. Mine also came as new built trailer but alas did not perform like yours over two years. As I don’t trailer as much as your self I went back to the dark side!!
Old 20 October 2018, 09:28   #10

I'm in middle of fitting submersible led lights now, spent hours making sure the "ip68" lights are actually waterproof along with all connections.

I won't be doing this again, too much time/hassle and I must be damn close to 350 quid now, I'm not done either. the clusters alone are nearly 100 quid plus the rubber side markers (yet to come across a decent set, got 3 sets here), licence plate lights, curly cable, normal cable, junction box, new trailer poles (need galvanized)

Led lights on a trailer board is probably best compromise.
Old 20 October 2018, 09:34   #11

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
That's where I ended up, touch wood, it's worked well if not perfectly for the last 3-4 years. Still have a touch of envy though when I see the lack of hassle with led submersible. It's a pain when it's pouring down putting it on and taking it off.
Old 20 October 2018, 10:09   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
That's where I ended up, touch wood, it's worked well if not perfectly for the last 3-4 years. Still have a touch of envy though when I see the lack of hassle with led submersible. It's a pain when it's pouring down putting it on and taking it off.
In the grand scheme It's just another small part of the Boating experience Mate..
Compared with all of the rest of the moving Kit-Clothing-Food-Drink-Fuel cans ect AND Crew!..you have to decant on and off Board ("Flaffing" I think you call it!)..its of little consequence.

For me anyway it's a minor thing and outweighs the trouble expence and hassle of fitting them in the first place..(and repair)when the in-situe stuff goes wrong...as they HAVE for me in the past when I had them fitted them when they first came out...
Plenty of places/service stations ect stock Trailer boards AND spares...if you're a long way from home ..not very many stock the extra long leads and extensions we need on our RIBs..which if you're a long way from home can be a pain.

I do believe the units are a lot better now...( so are the LED lighting boards) but I'd rather put up with the little time it takes ...and know I have the ease of repair/replacement ....and stick the money in the Tank

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:06   #13

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
[emoji1][emoji106] im not changing but I wouldn’t go back to bayonet light boards the led ones are leagues better
Old 20 October 2018, 13:06   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
In the grand scheme It's just another small part of the Boating experience Mate..
Compared with all of the rest of the moving Kit-Clothing-Food-Drink-Fuel cans ect AND Crew!..you have to decant on and off Board ("Flaffing" I think you call it!)..its of little consequence.

For me anyway it's a minor thing and outweighs the trouble expence and hassle of fitting them in the first place..(and repair)when the in-situe stuff goes wrong...as they HAVE for me in the past when I had them fitted them when they first came out...
Plenty of places/service stations ect stock Trailer boards AND spares...if you're a long way from home ..not very many stock the extra long leads and extensions we need on our RIBs..which if you're a long way from home can be a pain.

I do believe the units are a lot better now...( so are the LED lighting boards) but I'd rather put up with the little time it takes ...and know I have the ease of repair/replacement ....and stick the money in the Tank

I’m with you all the way on this subject. [emoji106]
Old 20 October 2018, 13:17   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I’m with you all the way on this subject. [emoji106]

The problem is the new trailer regs. I’m not sure of the details, but over a certain length (which seems to cover most RIB Trailers) they have to have side marker lamps along the length. This complicates things somewhat. That’s why we are seeing fixed lights rather than trailer boards.
Old 20 October 2018, 17:40   #16

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I have had fixed LED lighting to replace tat trailer boards for nearly 10 years and no real issues.

My new SBS trailer in 2014 came fitted with waterproof led side amber and white front outline markers and surprisingly no issues with regular dunking. I added rear lighting from my old trailer and an extra side marker on the wheel arches ( Nice to be seen crossing busy roads )

LED's are 'LED Autolamps' and I recently replaced the original submersible filament set found ex Oz :-) Solves the Canbus problem with my XC70
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0183.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	127345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0181.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	127346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0182.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	127347  
Old 20 October 2018, 18:15   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
The problem is the new trailer regs. I’m not sure of the details, but over a certain length (which seems to cover most RIB Trailers) they have to have side marker lamps along the length. This complicates things somewhat. That’s why we are seeing fixed lights rather than trailer boards.
Hopefully Poly will be along to enlighten us about the "new Regs"!...and what they mean for us!

The Canbus problem when wiring stuff into the complicated diagnostics and "Brains"on a lot modern cars is also a reason I like to keep it as simple as poss ...
...I tend do to change vehicles a fair bit

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 19:14   #18

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Mine have been fine as well ya gets what ya pay for and I put a 13 pin socket on the trailer so I’ve no cable to mess with
Old 22 October 2018, 10:06   #19

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:

Are these EU regs or UK, or both? The integrated side light on mine have packed up. I don’t really trailer much but I have a bunch of work to do in the off season so I’ll probably have to look at this.

Also: the light board holder on my trailer is extendable so that the board is to the rear of the engine. Is this also a regulation? If so how do you guys with fixed LEDs get around this?
Old 22 October 2018, 10:54   #20

RIBase
Afaik it’s the EU directive that came out in 2012 or thereabouts.
Re. Fixed LEDs, mine are still on extendable arms but have coiled cables that extend/retract as necessary.