Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post

+1

But has anyone actually been stopped for making their trailer more visible??

CJL
Probably not...but if driving through Wales without a Welsh Dragon on the back of yer car you definately will. : whistling:
Old 31 January 2013, 20:54   #22

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
No, but the board must be on the trailer not the load.
Old 31 January 2013, 23:17   #23

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
How about splitting the lights and number plate.

On my (and most, I am guessing) trailers it should be possible to mount a small board either side on the extendable trailer board arms.

On one side have the number plate(square type) and the side/brake and indicator, reversing and number plate light, and on the other side the same but without the number plate light, and both sides have the reflectors.

That way, they can (probably) be retracted to be out of the way of engine etc for launching, and can be left if they are submersable.

Just a thought, and there is probably something illegal about it, but worth a try if it is allowed?

Gary
Old 31 January 2013, 23:28   #24

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I have a plug at the lighting board so I can remove the board in seconds leaving the cable attached to the trailer. Very simple.
Old 31 January 2013, 23:32   #25

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I mounted mine either side of the trailer chassis on home made lighting mounts. The led lights from the Australian company haven't let me down yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130201_003121.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	76192   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130201_003146.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	76193  
Old 31 January 2013, 23:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd22 View Post
I mounted mine either side of the trailer chassis on home made lighting mounts. The led lights from the Australian company haven't let me down yet.
That was exactly what I was trying to explain!

Worried about the number plate location though, as it might not meet the rules regarding location and visibility from all angles etc, particularly if the boat is on board.

Nice rugged, looking trailer though!

BTW what Australian company did you get the lights from?

Gary
Old 01 February 2013, 00:09   #27

The lights are led auto lamp ones. Lifetime warranty on them and pretty rugged.

I got fed up trying to store a 6ft trailer board so built my own onto the trailer. It also is handy for recovering in the dark as the lights give you reference points to aim for.

The number plates actually not too bad when the boats on. It can't be seen at the extreme left of the regulation arc but the tow vehicle one can be seen by that point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130201_010601.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	76195  
Old 01 February 2013, 00:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd22 View Post
The lights are led auto lamp ones. Lifetime warranty on them and pretty rugged.

I got fed up trying to store a 6ft trailer board so built my own onto the trailer. It also is handy for recovering in the dark as the lights give you reference points to aim for.

The number plates actually not too bad when the boats on. It can't be seen at the extreme left of the regulation arc but the tow vehicle one can be seen by that point.
Good Idea, I think I will go down this route. I get fed up as well, pulling the board off, putting it in the car, undoing all the cable every time I launch.
My boat would obscure the number plate too much, but I guess there is nothing against having 2? one each side, as long as they are the same??

If the lights have a lifetime warranty on them, then it seems the way to go.

I went to Canada in the Autumn, and did a bit of fishing, and was amazed that all the trailers there were fully wired in all the time with LED's, and it looked so easy!

Gary
Old 01 February 2013, 03:39   #29

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppenman View Post
I have a plug at the lighting board so I can remove the board in seconds leaving the cable attached to the trailer. Very simple.
+1
Old 01 February 2013, 07:06   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Here's mine

and lights down the side too, everything led
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new lights 1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	76197   Click image for larger version

Name:	new lights 2.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	76198   Click image for larger version

Name:	new lights 3.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	76199   Click image for larger version

Name:	new lights 4.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	76200   Click image for larger version

Name:	pole.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	76201  

Old 01 February 2013, 09:12   #31

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
+1

But has anyone actually been stopped for making their trailer more visible??

CJL
Mine is mounted on the A frame, I actually stopped by a police car that had parked up and asked them about this, they said they would prefer it to be in the best place to be seen rather than technically legal and less visible. Mine is staying on the A frame.
Old 01 February 2013, 10:02   #32
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Mine is mounted on the A frame, I actually stopped by a police car that had parked up and asked them about this, they said they would prefer it to be in the best place to be seen rather than technically legal and less visible. Mine is staying on the A frame.
Until you drive out of Hampshire police jurisdiction and the neighbouring police force are looking at improving revenue and use the legal rule to fine you.

Agree with what they are saying though but having worked in the police Market in the past all forces have their own local revenue spinners.
Old 01 February 2013, 10:07   #33

Trailer Board on Boat

On a previous boat (not a RIB) I had the board mounted on the bathing platform. Took boat to Scotland (from Salisbury) many times, never had a problem. Picture attached (I do miss that boat!).

And, in any case, what does "attached" mean?

If the board is attached to the boat which is attached to the trailer - you get my drift. I know this is pedantism gone mad but it is the answers to such questions that the Court uses to decide if you have committed an offence.

Obviously when the trailer is use without the boat, the board is then attached to the trailer.
Old 01 February 2013, 13:42   #34

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
My belief is that number plate & lights must be attached to the trailer not the load
Not true - if you read the regs in detail :zzz: boats are an exemption. Otherwise every single dinghy on the road would be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
and the height of the lights must be between 35 and 150 cms from the ground.

There are different height restrictions for different lights & the triangle reflectors. Some are unrestricted (which is why you see lorries & vans with the number plate above the back door, but the lights still at "normal" height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
As it happens I am building a lighting board at the moment.

As other posters have said the ones generally available are, a) crap, and b) too short. I need a 2m one with a 8m cable.

I have sourced the lights from a lorry breakers. The ones on lorries are of much superior quality. I got a secondhand set for £15. Bought triangles, cable and plug from EBay for £12.

The big problem is the plastic board, I have had considerable trouble finding a suitable board. I have just found one from Greenhams, it goes under the name "Big Brother" barrier. Waiting for it to arrive.

I intend to make a custom mount so I can attach it to the A frame on the RIB. Probably a couple of bungees.

I have also sourced a number plate holder from a agricultural trailer supplier. This allows the number plate to be changed easily.

I haven't saved any money, but I will have a trailer board to my exact requirements.

Ian Wilson

Yep, did that for my SR trailer. I just used a 1/2" Plank & screwed trunking to the back. Put a socket o nthe back of the baord as well so it was much weasier to remove & coil the cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
No, but the board must be on the trailer not the load.
No! See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
How about splitting the lights and number plate.

On my (and most, I am guessing) trailers it should be possible to mount a small board either side on the extendable trailer board arms.

<snip>

Just a thought, and there is probably something illegal about it, but worth a try if it is allowed?

Gary
Nothing wrong with that. Regs have nothing about the position of the plate. (look at the back of vans & busses - classic examples.

I'm in the porcess of doing something not too dissimilar to the photos above - submenrsibles using those Auzzie LED lights, (have CE markings on the lens) with a much cut doen board on the A- frame with number plate, High level brake & reversing lamps. I looked at numerous geometries to get the' plate down there as well, but I have a few geometric PITAs when reversing into the garage that mean I was incredibly area restrained in order to keep within the 1m overhang rule, and as said already, the engine obscuired the only sensible place to put the number plate.

Why bother if a board stil lhas to be removed? - Simply the board on the frame is not much longer than a number plate, and well clear of the road. So not only will it be a LOT cleaner when I put it in the boot, it will actually fit the boot!

As said above, it takes 20 odd seconds to remove a board. But a 2m plank covered in road cr@p that has to go inside the car and against the seats is a PITA. It wil lstil ltake me 20 seconds to remove, but will not cause so much hassle when it meets the car!

Photos will follow once I've preserved the wood & assembled it all.
Old 01 February 2013, 13:45   #35

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
From memory, the biggest problem with attaching your lighting board to the A frame (I mount mine about half way down) is the height of the triangular reflectors - which can be easily resolved by adding some additional triangular reflectors to the rear of the trailer mudguards (another job on the list ...).
Old 01 February 2013, 13:55   #36

This pictures shows the position of the number plate, light pod and rear of the trailer to better effect.

The bar across the back slides off and stores on the front of the trailer. It stops the engines getting nudged by anything (and yes it gets prop bags put on each engine on the road).

The bar is under a metre from the lights so it keeps it all legal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130201_145512.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	76212  
Old 01 February 2013, 14:17   #37

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Not true - if you read the regs in detail :zzz: boats are an exemption. Otherwise every single dinghy on the road would be illegal.

There are different height restrictions for different lights & the triangle reflectors. Some are unrestricted (which is why you see lorries & vans with the number plate above the back door, but the lights still at "normal" height)

Yep, did that for my SR trailer. I just used a 1/2" Plank & screwed trunking to the back. Put a socket o nthe back of the baord as well so it was much weasier to remove & coil the cable.

No! See above.

Nothing wrong with that. Regs have nothing about the position of the plate. (look at the back of vans & busses - classic examples.

I'm in the porcess of doing something not too dissimilar to the photos above - submenrsibles using those Auzzie LED lights, (have CE markings on the lens) with a much cut doen board on the A- frame with number plate, High level brake & reversing lamps. I looked at numerous geometries to get the' plate down there as well, but I have a few geometric PITAs when reversing into the garage that mean I was incredibly area restrained in order to keep within the 1m overhang rule, and as said already, the engine obscuired the only sensible place to put the number plate.

Why bother if a board stil lhas to be removed? - Simply the board on the frame is not much longer than a number plate, and well clear of the road. So not only will it be a LOT cleaner when I put it in the boot, it will actually fit the boot!

As said above, it takes 20 odd seconds to remove a board. But a 2m plank covered in road cr@p that has to go inside the car and against the seats is a PITA. It wil lstil ltake me 20 seconds to remove, but will not cause so much hassle when it meets the car!

Photos will follow once I've preserved the wood & assembled it all.
Looks like I stand corrected mate
according to artical on here

Towing regulations, the law and towing tips for a boat or trailer sailer
Old 01 February 2013, 14:59   #38

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Cut and paste from above ...

9. The number plate on the trailer must be identical in shape, and colour to that on the towcar.

I can understand the colour thing, but the shape? Why?

What a load of bollocks
Old 01 February 2013, 15:13   #39

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Aye, I looked at a square "bike" plate, but it wasn't going to fit either! (well, not without being snapped by either the boat, the garage floor / door pillar!)
Old 01 February 2013, 19:15   #40

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Cut and paste from above ...

9. The number plate on the trailer must be identical in shape, and colour to that on the towcar.

I can understand the colour thing, but the shape? Why?

What a load of bollocks
Agreed - how does that work for horse trailers?

nothing about it here: http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/trailers/number_plates.aspx

or here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote