Old 21 November 2003, 22:22   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by JAHNO
The rules staes in the case of a boat it's a 7m hull.
Does your source say what this bit of legislation is? Is this stated in the legislation, or is this someone's interpretation?

John
Old 22 November 2003, 08:35   #22

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Confused in Devon!

Either none of the Police know or care about the towing laws and most of the Offshore racers in this country have been getting away with it for ages or this is innacurate information!

I tow a 7.4m boat behind a Nissan Navara (4 door) pickup, no tacho or anything. All of the 2 litre batboats are similar in length, then there are the 4 litre boats at 28 feet lost my conversion, I think that's nearly 9 metres! And if that wasn't enough for those that were at Portsmouth one of the Pro Vee boats came up from Devon on a trailer! Oh yeah I nearly forgot, mine is a single axle trailer so apperently I should be sent to the Tower!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2003, 09:14   #23

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
I think you are ok cookee, its the trailer length that is max 7mtrs not the load as is the max width of 2.3...you can exceed these with overhang to a point.
Old 22 November 2003, 09:26   #24

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote "4x4 Magazine (november copy) Towing Guide"

The maximum width allowed for a trailer is 2.3m if towed by a vehicle of less than 35ookg MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass). The maximum length allowed is Seven metres excluding the length of the drawbar, in other words the length of the body on a caravan, horse or box trailer. Boats on trailers are generally considered to conform at a Seven metre hull length.

The law requires that you can see down both sides of the trailer. If additional towing mirrors need to be fitted these must not project more than 200mm beyond either side of the vehicle or trailer, whichever is wider. When not towing they must not project more than this amount from the sides of the vehicle, which usually dictates that they are removed.

Projecting loads are permitted beyond the size of the trailer, up to 3.05m overhanging the rear of the trailer is allowed but if it exceeds Two metres it must have side markers which are lit at night. End markers should be used on all overhangs. A load may also project up to 305mm over each side of the trailer up to a maximum total width of 2.9m. Markers should be used.

Quote "RYA Guide - trailing and roof racking guide, the rules and regulations.

"A Trailer drawn by an ordinary car must not be longer than 7m excluding the hitching device.

If towing with a goods vehicle weighing more 3500kgs and the trailer has at least four wheels, then the trailer may be up to 12m in length.
Old 22 November 2003, 09:56   #25

Not so confused in Devon!

Quote:
Boats on trailers are generally considered to conform at a Seven metre hull length.
So the above quote from a 4x4 magazine is what we're going on. The trouble is what is the magazines source?

Then from the same article:

Quote:
Projecting loads are permitted beyond the size of the trailer, up to 3.05m overhanging the rear of the trailer is allowed
So you can have a projecting load (a boat?) of 3.05m overhanging a 7m trailer? Well when I was at school it was all in feet and inches, but I make that 10.05m.

I think then that as I have not been pulled, nor do I know of any private individuals who have been, I will take it that length wise I am within the law, and the bloke writing for 4x4 magazine is confused as he contradicts himself.

It just goes to show that it isn't just know nothing greek idiots that give bad or conflicting advice - you can get it from magazines who you should be able to trust!

By the way if someone wants to forward the above to the magazine - feel free! Love to hear what they have to say!
Old 22 November 2003, 10:28   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Anyone ever seen a glider in it's "box" being towed?
Damm sight longer than a rib AND they are often towed by saloon cars as well!!
So what is the definative here?
Old 22 November 2003, 10:38   #27

Quote taken from "RYA Trailing and Roof Racking - the Rules and Regulations.
Put together by the RYA in conjunction with:

- The Road Vehicles (construction and use) Regulations 1986 SI 1078 (amended).
- The Road VEhicles Lighting Regulations 1989 SI 1796 (amended).

Projection of loads on Trailers and on Roof-Racks

“All projections should be protected so as not to be capable of causing and danger. It is particularly important to protect the exposed blades of an outboard motor mounted on a boats transom: there have been a number of prosecutions for failure to do so.

Special marker boards must be fixed in specific positions if the load projects to the front or rear by 2 metres or more. Depending on the overall dimensions, an assistant may be required for the purpose of warning the driver of any danger that could occur because of the vehicle or its load. It may also be necessary to inform the police of the route to be travelled.

If the rearward projection of the load exceeds 1m, it must be marked so as to be clearly visible, both to the rear and on both sides (e.g. using a bright Red, Yellow, or Orange plastic bag or rag). A rearward projection extending between 2m and 3.05m must be fitted with an end marker board. If it extends beyond 3.05m a rear marker board and two side marker boards are needed, the police must be told in advance and an assistant must be carried. Extra side boards are needed if the rearward projection exceeds 5m.

End marker boards should be Triangular, with two sides of equal length. The triangle base and height must both be not less than 610mm and the board should be marked with alternate red and white stripes. Side marker boards should consist of similarly marked right angle triangular boards not less than 610mm in height and 1520mm in length”.
Old 22 November 2003, 17:14   #28

Thanks for that JAHNO - that covers the bits that stick out - so what about the 7m part? As Brian said and we were discussing at work today - how do they manage with gliders as the trailer is the full length and the load is entirely inside?

By the way the text you have quoted sounds just like the law covering comercial vehicles but maybe it's the same?
Old 22 November 2003, 18:22   #29

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Griselda
Make: Spinner
Length: 8.5
Engine: 1GM10 Yanmar
Quote:
Originally posted by Cookee
Thanks for that JAHNO - that covers the bits that stick out - so what about the 7m part? As Brian said and we were discussing at work today - how do they manage with gliders as the trailer is the full length and the load is entirely inside?

By the way the text you have quoted sounds just like the law covering comercial vehicles but maybe it's the same?
Hi Cookee,

Basically, the laws are the same. The 4X4 Magazine were not strictly correct in that there is one set of dimensions for vehicles up to and including 3,500 KGs and another for over 3,500 KGs. Apparently they referred to vehicles LESS THAN 3,500 KGs.

Having read and digested the posts in this thread, I stick by my original statement that the trailer can be up to 7 metres long with an additional overhang (provided it is correctly marked).

The problem with Glider Trailers is that the Glider fits IN the trailer (rather than on it) so the overhang bit is irrelevant, however, there is an exclusion in the regulations for trailers which were designed and built with the specific intention of carrying 'an indivisible load'. It's a bit difficult to chop a glider in two (or a boat for that matter) simply to transport it.

I am not aware of any change in legislation, impending or existing, which insists the boat can only be 7 metres.

I would hope that as an NTTA Director and Council Member, an independent Trailer Manufacturer, and a Yachtmaster Offshore with an 8.5 metre yacht, I would be in a better position than most to keep abreast of the legislation. However, At the end of the day, interpretation of legislation is a matter for the courts. Until a specific case has been brought, nothing is written in stone!

The normal NTTA Disclaimer applies!

Regards

QSA accredited company.
NTTA Council Member
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2003, 20:03   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony M
there is an exclusion in the regulations for trailers which were designed and built with the specific intention of carrying 'an indivisible load'. It's a bit difficult to chop a glider in two (or a boat for that matter) simply to transport it.
This sounds as though it's quite important, Tony. Particularly for those of us with large trailers. I've been able to find some of the quoted info on the Department of Transport's website, but not anything about overhanging loads or the indivisible loads. Do you have any further information about where this can be found?

Thanks!
Old 22 November 2003, 20:40   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard B
This sounds as though it's quite important, Tony. Particularly for those of us with large trailers. I've been able to find some of the quoted info on the Department of Transport's website, but not anything about overhanging loads or the indivisible loads. Do you have any further information about where this can be found?

Thanks!
I just knew someone would ask that!! I'l try and dig it for you.

Regards

QSA accredited company.
NTTA Council Member
Old 22 November 2003, 21:31   #32

Quote:
I just knew someone would ask that!! I'l try and dig it for you.

Regards
Hi Richard,

Regrettably, the Road Vehicles (construction & Use) Regulations 1986 are not available on the 'net. They have to be purchased from HMSO.

However, a quick Google search has thrown up "Authorised by Regulation 82 and Schedule 12 Road Vehicles (construction and use) regulations 1986 where the vehicle complies in all respects with legal requirements but the load is exceptional in respect of length, width up to 4.3 m, or lateral or longitudinal projections, but not weight."

Note, as said before, the regulations are all-embracing covering HGV's as well as our smaller stuff.

What a way to spend Saturday night

Regards

QSA accredited company.
NTTA Council Member
Old 23 November 2003, 08:32   #33

So can i be legal/ how can i be legal towing my new 9m pro sport on a twin axle trailer(under 3000kg)? with a 4x4 capable of towing (legally) 3000kg?
Old 23 November 2003, 17:21   #34

Quote:
Originally posted by JAHNO
So can i be legal/ how can i be legal towing my new 9m pro sport on a twin axle trailer(under 3000kg)? with a 4x4 capable of towing (legally) 3000kg?
Hi Jono,

Yes, I don't see a problem.

Firstly, I assume in view of your job you passed your driving test prior to 1/1/97. (there are additional restrictions for new drivers).

Provided your trailer is not more than 2.3 metres wide and 7 metres long from the front of the winch post, and that your boat does not overhang the sides of the trailer by more than 305 mm either side (subject to a maximum width of 2.9 metres), or the rear of the trailer by more than 3.05 metres, then you are legal. This is, of course, subject to complying with the lighting regs and marking of overhangs etc already discussed. There are also type approval regulations for towing equipment which need to be adhered to (94/20EC) but these only apply to vehicles first registered on or after 1/8/98. ('S' Reg onwards).

There is no requirement for the trailer to be double axle but it would be unusual for a single axle trailer to exceed 1300 KGS MGW and highly unlikely that it would exceed 1800 KGs. As a manufacturer, it would have to be a very specific requirement for us to build a trailer outside those constraints.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Incidentally, I've spent part of my Sunday Afternoon reading the Police Foundations 'Towing Roadcraft' Manual. (Isn't life exciting? )

This confirms my earlier comments. The only specific references to transporting boats amount to the marking of overhangs & projections, the fact that boat trailers don't need to comply fully with the Road Vehicles (lighting Regulations) 1989 and that most American Boat Trailers imported into the UK are illegal here (oh God, another can of worms )

The usual NTTA disclaimer applies!

Regards

QSA accredited company.
NTTA Council Member
Old 23 November 2003, 17:26   #35
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Hi Jono,

Yes, I don't see a problem.

Firstly, I assume in view of your job you passed your driving test prior to 1/1/97. (there are additional restrictions for new drivers).
What restrictions are these?

I did test in 1999
Old 23 November 2003, 17:41   #36
Ian

Town: Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Pro Sport
Engine: Suzuki 250hp 4/
I think you have to take a towing test or something, otherwise you are towing illegally......oops
There seem to be a multitude of driving tests these days, a bit like the RYA are putting in place for various levels on the water.
Old 23 November 2003, 17:54   #37
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Just looked on the net.

It costs £76 and is a 4 day!!!!! course covering all aspects of towing.

Better go do that then , before I get arrested!
Old 23 November 2003, 20:30   #38

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
This width business

Right then..U guys have helped clear all this up so far.

What I want to do is put a 2.6m wide rib on a trailer where the trailer has guide rollers each side. 2 per side.

The problem now is that the guide rollers become part of the trailer- is that right? so the trailer is now wider than 2.3m

Can the use of side lights be used to 'extend' the 2.3m figure.

Someone mentioned that Haying Trailers do these guide roller kits, perhaps they know?

Paul
Old 23 November 2003, 21:32   #39

Re: This width business

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Beaurain
Right then..U guys have helped clear all this up so far.

What I want to do is put a 2.6m wide rib on a trailer where the trailer has guide rollers each side. 2 per side.

The problem now is that the guide rollers become part of the trailer- is that right? so the trailer is now wider than 2.3m

Can the use of side lights be used to 'extend' the 2.3m figure.

Someone mentioned that Haying Trailers do these guide roller kits, perhaps they know?

Paul
Unless your towing vehicle is OVER 3,500 KGs Gross Vehicle Weight (unlikely) you CANNOT exceed 2.3 metres trailer width. I assume the guide rollers are similar to what I would call 'docking arms'. These can be made detachable to aid recovery of the boat but then removed for transport.

Regards

QSA accredited company.
NTTA Council Member
Old 24 November 2003, 12:47   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by tue
Just looked on the net.

It costs £76 and is a 4 day!!!!! course covering all aspects of towing.

Better go do that then , before I get arrested!
no its not, just a one hour test at dsa