Old 07 April 2013, 17:39   #1

Boat name: breathless
Make: bayliner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 91 force 70hp
trailer help needed

hi
Been sometime since i have been on the site due to the weather and not taking boat out, but took the boat out on sat to exmouth, all was well till the journey back home and one of my bearing went, managed to get it back safely, took pot cover of to see if the nut had come loose, but ended up with hand full of bearings " indespesion units " less than a year and half old, i have no idea what has coursed this to happen, apart from not washing the wheel down after use " there suppose to be sealed ". so i am looking at upgrading the suspension and cheap if pos, a friend has told me i would be better looking for a van axle. at the mo my set up is a unbreaked system.

any help or advice welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0662 (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	78427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0574 (Small).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	78428  

Old 07 April 2013, 17:48   #2

Length: under 3m
Have a chat with western towing down on marsh Barton. 01392 216336. I have called them several times for different bit of advice re a trailer tent I have and have found them very friendly. I also had an indies pension trailer before that needed some tlc and they helped with that.

I did see your boat out on the river yesterday what size engine do you have? Cheers

Old 07 April 2013, 17:56   #3

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Just replace them with the correct type, and clean and grease them lots! If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
Old 07 April 2013, 18:21   #4

re trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespy999 View Post
Have a chat with western towing down on marsh Barton. 01392 216336. I have called them several times for different bit of advice re a trailer tent I have and have found them very friendly. I also had an indies pension trailer before that needed some tlc and they helped with that.

I did see your boat out on the river yesterday what size engine do you have? Cheers
hi eyespy
where was you and what boat were you in ? i will give western a call 2moro.
thanks
Old 07 April 2013, 18:41   #5

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
Just replace them with the correct type, and clean and grease them lots! If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
hi simsy
when i brought the boat it came with the trailer, for piece of mind i brought new indespension units from indespension on there site on ebay, before hand i had the boat and trailer weighed and choose very suitable units 750kg per unit, over both units 1500kg, the boat and outboard at the time weighed around 650kg give or take abit.
thing is, is this a job that honestly everybody does after use, saying that think i only ever washed them down once.

i have looked into the next level up from the non braked indespension units i had, to the braked units, like the fact they hold a bigger stronger wheel
Old 07 April 2013, 18:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
" less than a year and half old, i have no idea what has coursed this to happen, apart from not washing the wheel down after use " there suppose to be sealed ".
There is no such thing as truely sealed trailer bearings. You can search the forum as been discussed before but my understanding is "sealed for life" bearings are sealed for the life of the bearing (i.e. you can't change the grease) - they don't say how long the life of the bearing is! It is certainly not "your lifetime".

Washing the wheel / bearing after use will have little effect - if water is getting in to your bearings it is too late.

You can help reduce water ingress by making sure the wheels / bearings have cooled down after towing before launching (otherwise hot bearing contracts in cold water and sucks in water).

Preventative maintenance: replace grease periodically; check bearings regularly - wobble is bad! But even the centre of the wheel getting warm after towing is a warning sign.
Old 07 April 2013, 18:46   #7

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespy999 View Post

hi its a meriner 50hp
Old 07 April 2013, 18:54   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I keep my grease gun in the car and after launching I always grease up the bearings before heading back home. Some people on here seem to be able to launch there boats without dunking the wheels in sea water but when I launch my boat, be it by tractor or car the wheels always seem to go under the water line but like Poly says avoid doing it while the wheels are still hot. Sea water is the pits.
Old 07 April 2013, 21:56   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Sealed bearings by Indespension?

You sure they aren't Al-Ko? Are they taper rollers or normal ball bearings?

If they're al-ko's you can't do anything to them-not even grease.

If they're taper rollers, replace them and fit bearing savers and make sure they're topped up a couple of times a year.
It MAY be possible to change the axle for an Avonride (or try Peak for an axle as well) if it's currently Al-ko

Your mate suggesting a van axle doesn't sound like he's got much of a clue. You won't be able to use the brakes, and it'll rot like mad. Not only that,the bearings will be a lot more expensive than normal trailer taper rollers,won't be any better and you'll have to get the wheels off to grease them.

You don't need a braked trailer for that boat anyway, you'll just be buying yourself a hefty service bill.

As an aside, I really don't understand why people mess around using grease guns after launch etc on taper rollers when a set of bearing savers is about the price of a set of hubs with bearings in....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 02:42   #10

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Are you sure they are 'sealed for life' bearings you have? as if they were you would not be able to get the cover off. The axles Indespension usually sell are not sealed and therefore require regular greasing. If they have not greased in 18 months, then I am not surprised they have gone. A set of beating savers regularly refilled should help to prevent this happening again. Washing the wheel down after use would make no difference as far as the bearings are concerned.

We have ALKO axles with 'sealed for life' bearings on all our trailers and have never had a problem with them.

I definetly would not go for a van axle, as the whole axle will not stand the effect of salt water, likely to be heavy and brakes will not work.

SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote