Old 07 April 2013, 21:39   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
trailer help needed

hi
Been sometime since i have been on the site due to the weather and not taking boat out, but took the boat out on sat to exmouth, all was well till the journey back home and one of my bearing went, managed to get it back safely, took pot cover of to see if the nut had come loose, but ended up with hand full of bearings " indespesion units " less than a year and half old, i have no idea what has coursed this to happen, apart from not washing the wheel down after use " there suppose to be sealed ". so i am looking at upgrading the suspension and cheap if pos, a friend has told me i would be better looking for a van axle. at the mo my set up is a unbreaked system.

any help or advice welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0662 (Small).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	78427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0574 (Small).JPG
Views:	236
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	78428  
Old 07 April 2013, 21:48   #2

Length: under 3m
Have a chat with western towing down on marsh Barton. 01392 216336. I have called them several times for different bit of advice re a trailer tent I have and have found them very friendly. I also had an indies pension trailer before that needed some tlc and they helped with that.

I did see your boat out on the river yesterday what size engine do you have? Cheers
Old 07 April 2013, 21:56   #3

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Just replace them with the correct type, and clean and grease them lots! If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
Old 07 April 2013, 22:21   #4

re trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespy999 View Post
Have a chat with western towing down on marsh Barton. 01392 216336. I have called them several times for different bit of advice re a trailer tent I have and have found them very friendly. I also had an indies pension trailer before that needed some tlc and they helped with that.

I did see your boat out on the river yesterday what size engine do you have? Cheers
hi eyespy
where was you and what boat were you in ? i will give western a call 2moro.
thanks
Old 07 April 2013, 22:41   #5

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
Just replace them with the correct type, and clean and grease them lots! If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
hi simsy
when i brought the boat it came with the trailer, for piece of mind i brought new indespension units from indespension on there site on ebay, before hand i had the boat and trailer weighed and choose very suitable units 750kg per unit, over both units 1500kg, the boat and outboard at the time weighed around 650kg give or take abit.
thing is, is this a job that honestly everybody does after use, saying that think i only ever washed them down once.

i have looked into the next level up from the non braked indespension units i had, to the braked units, like the fact they hold a bigger stronger wheel
Old 07 April 2013, 22:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
" less than a year and half old, i have no idea what has coursed this to happen, apart from not washing the wheel down after use " there suppose to be sealed ".
There is no such thing as truely sealed trailer bearings. You can search the forum as been discussed before but my understanding is "sealed for life" bearings are sealed for the life of the bearing (i.e. you can't change the grease) - they don't say how long the life of the bearing is! It is certainly not "your lifetime".

Washing the wheel / bearing after use will have little effect - if water is getting in to your bearings it is too late.

You can help reduce water ingress by making sure the wheels / bearings have cooled down after towing before launching (otherwise hot bearing contracts in cold water and sucks in water).

Preventative maintenance: replace grease periodically; check bearings regularly - wobble is bad! But even the centre of the wheel getting warm after towing is a warning sign.
Old 07 April 2013, 22:46   #7

re

Quote:

hi its a meriner 50hp
Old 07 April 2013, 22:54   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I keep my grease gun in the car and after launching I always grease up the bearings before heading back home. Some people on here seem to be able to launch there boats without dunking the wheels in sea water but when I launch my boat, be it by tractor or car the wheels always seem to go under the water line but like Poly says avoid doing it while the wheels are still hot. Sea water is the pits.
Old 08 April 2013, 01:56   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Sealed bearings by Indespension?

You sure they aren't Al-Ko? Are they taper rollers or normal ball bearings?

If they're al-ko's you can't do anything to them-not even grease.

If they're taper rollers, replace them and fit bearing savers and make sure they're topped up a couple of times a year.
It MAY be possible to change the axle for an Avonride (or try Peak for an axle as well) if it's currently Al-ko

Your mate suggesting a van axle doesn't sound like he's got much of a clue. You won't be able to use the brakes, and it'll rot like mad. Not only that,the bearings will be a lot more expensive than normal trailer taper rollers,won't be any better and you'll have to get the wheels off to grease them.

You don't need a braked trailer for that boat anyway, you'll just be buying yourself a hefty service bill.

As an aside, I really don't understand why people mess around using grease guns after launch etc on taper rollers when a set of bearing savers is about the price of a set of hubs with bearings in....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 06:42   #10

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Are you sure they are 'sealed for life' bearings you have? as if they were you would not be able to get the cover off. The axles Indespension usually sell are not sealed and therefore require regular greasing. If they have not greased in 18 months, then I am not surprised they have gone. A set of beating savers regularly refilled should help to prevent this happening again. Washing the wheel down after use would make no difference as far as the bearings are concerned.

We have ALKO axles with 'sealed for life' bearings on all our trailers and have never had a problem with them.

I definetly would not go for a van axle, as the whole axle will not stand the effect of salt water, likely to be heavy and brakes will not work.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 07:32   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'm sure if you look really hard you can even see a grease nipple on one of those hubs. As has already been said, get some replacement bearings (cheap as chips), and keep them very well greased! If funds are really an issue then just put a shot of grease in there (easy with a grease gun - just hook it up to that nipple and pump away) before/after every outing. Bearing savers are the more expensive option but will essentially do this for you as long as you keep them topped up.
Old 08 April 2013, 07:54   #12

Town: Plymouth
They are not sealed bearings. I suspect these are what you have, which is the most common and IMHO weakest/ most prone to fail when not maintained.

Pair of 4" PCD Trailer Hubs and Taper Bearings (44643/44643L)

http://bit.ly/144LeN7

When they star to wear you'll hear it but they fail quite quickly when heat gets to them. The pressed in "sealed ones" seem to stand up a bit better to wear meaning you have more chance to get away with a short tow (not advising to) but then the downside is they are harder to service/maintain. They are not totally sealed either.

Just replace yours like for like then grease after each submersion. Never launch before 10 mins or so of arriving at slip, let your bearings cool down first (maybe get everything ready away from slip then launch when all set by which time they have chance to cool). If possible try to keep hubs out of water even better.

Every few months you could even pull them out and re-grease, or swap the bearings as they are quite cheap on their own without the hub and if that gives you added reassurance its money well spent. Just remember to change the races when fitting new bearings or they won't be worth doing
Old 08 April 2013, 08:35   #13

re

yes they are tapered bearing as you say.
think i will just get new units because when the bearing went, i still needed to get the boat home 4 miles, got back and center was red hot, well not red but very hot.
i wont bother looking into a van axle now. but was thinking of getting a higher weight limit, but you think if i upgraded to braked hub it wouldnt be worth it even if i didnt have the brake system set up. i just like the idaer of bigger wheels feels safer
below was the actual units
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!B,0u5rw!2k~$(KGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKtPUYSRL!~~_12.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	78435  
Old 08 April 2013, 08:50   #14

Town: isla plana spain
Make: humber/yam 360s
Engine: outboard 90+15+20
MMSI: mmsi 235907606
Quote:
yes they are tapered bearing as you say.
think i will just get new units because when the bearing went, i still needed to get the boat home 4 miles, got back and center was red hot, well not red but very hot.
i wont bother looking into a van axle now. but was thinking of getting a higher weight limit, but you think if i upgraded to braked hub it wouldnt be worth it even if i didnt have the brake system set up. i just like the idaer of bigger wheels feels safer
below was the actual units
you seem determined to spend/waste money bigger wheels good for long distance but = boat higher therefore have to go in deeper, simple answer is look after them. you stated only ever washed once, do you wash & flush your outboard with fresh water after being in salt ??
Old 08 April 2013, 16:02   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
???

jky
Old 08 April 2013, 17:38   #16

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples View Post
you seem determined to spend/waste money bigger wheels good for long distance but = boat higher therefore have to go in deeper, simple answer is look after them. you stated only ever washed once, do you wash & flush your outboard with fresh water after being in salt ??
hiya, i think because this has just happened im a bit worried about the future, i kinda feel i would like some sort of set up that i feel would be more then strong enough to cope with the weight, i was thinking at this point its an opportunity to upgrade if a need to spend.

yes i do wash the outboard after use, not strate after tho when i get back or day after.
Old 08 April 2013, 17:42   #17

re

Quote:

hi eyespy
phoned western towing today, good advice given, taking my axle in asap to be sorted. was on the phone for half hour talking to Matt.
anyway where was you the other day at exmouth
Old 08 April 2013, 17:50   #18

Length: under 3m
I was just out on the river clearing the cobwebs from my rib over near the warren and had a run down to the floating cafe and powderham. The sun was out, river was calm I just wish it was like that every weekend afternoon. Best of luck with the axle!
Old 08 April 2013, 21:52   #19

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
new indespension units from indespension on there site on ebay, before hand i had the boat and trailer weighed and choose very suitable units 750kg per unit, over both units 1500kg, the boat and outboard at the time weighed around 650kg give or take abit.
Hi arkamelis

I'm a bit late in the game for this one and it sounds like you're sorted, which is great news.

Reference the above - careful with your weights. Indespension units are sold in paired wights. i.e. 750kg units are rated to 750kg per pair, not 750kg each (as per your statement above). So if your boat weighs in at 650kg, then that only allows you 100kg for the trailer weight and any additional items.

Also, the picture that you posted is of a pair of < 500k units. Their 750kg units have a solid, forged, drop arm. Not an open, box section type, as in the picture. This is what a 750kg unit looks like:

Not pointing fingers, or criticising, just telling you to be a tad careful - you may not have as much weight capacity as you think.

Boats & Outboards is correct - you have standard taper roller bearing hubs (4" PCD). Should be around £20 for parts (hubs aren't much dearer than a set of bearings once labour is introduced), plus a bit of labour if Western Towing are doing the work for you.

All the best.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2013, 20:37   #20

re trailer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Hi arkamelis

I'm a bit late in the game for this one and it sounds like you're sorted, which is great news.

Reference the above - careful with your weights. Indespension units are sold in paired wights. i.e. 750kg units are rated to 750kg per pair, not 750kg each (as per your statement above). So if your boat weighs in at 650kg, then that only allows you 100kg for the trailer weight and any additional items.

Also, the picture that you posted is of a pair of < 500k units. Their 750kg units have a solid, forged, drop arm. Not an open, box section type, as in the picture. This is what a 750kg unit looks like:

Not pointing fingers, or criticising, just telling you to be a tad careful - you may not have as much weight capacity as you think.

Boats & Outboards is correct - you have standard taper roller bearing hubs (4" PCD). Should be around £20 for parts (hubs aren't much dearer than a set of bearings once labour is introduced), plus a bit of labour if Western Towing are doing the work for you.

All the best.
hi
the picture was just taken from ebay i think they use the same picture for most of there units, but yes my units on the trailer are solid ones, i will bear in mind what you have said about weights and i will get it all weighed again once mobile. if pos could you give me you opinion on the location of the axle to wheres its mounted for the boat im concerned theres to much weight over the axle and due to this it has coursed a slight bow on the main sides. i kind of feel the wheel should be right back to surport the weight of outboard,fuel tank and back end of boat any help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0662 (Small).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	78501   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1315 (Small).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	78502