Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 April 2013, 03:32   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,258
I'm sure if you look really hard you can even see a grease nipple on one of those hubs. As has already been said, get some replacement bearings (cheap as chips), and keep them very well greased! If funds are really an issue then just put a shot of grease in there (easy with a grease gun - just hook it up to that nipple and pump away) before/after every outing. Bearing savers are the more expensive option but will essentially do this for you as long as you keep them topped up.
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 03:54   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
They are not sealed bearings. I suspect these are what you have, which is the most common and IMHO weakest/ most prone to fail when not maintained.

Pair of 4" PCD Trailer Hubs and Taper Bearings (44643/44643L)

http://bit.ly/144LeN7

When they star to wear you'll hear it but they fail quite quickly when heat gets to them. The pressed in "sealed ones" seem to stand up a bit better to wear meaning you have more chance to get away with a short tow (not advising to) but then the downside is they are harder to service/maintain. They are not totally sealed either.

Just replace yours like for like then grease after each submersion. Never launch before 10 mins or so of arriving at slip, let your bearings cool down first (maybe get everything ready away from slip then launch when all set by which time they have chance to cool). If possible try to keep hubs out of water even better.

Every few months you could even pull them out and re-grease, or swap the bearings as they are quite cheap on their own without the hub and if that gives you added reassurance its money well spent. Just remember to change the races when fitting new bearings or they won't be worth doing
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 04:35   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: breathless
Make: bayliner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 91 force 70hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 188
re

yes they are tapered bearing as you say.
think i will just get new units because when the bearing went, i still needed to get the boat home 4 miles, got back and center was red hot, well not red but very hot.
i wont bother looking into a van axle now. but was thinking of getting a higher weight limit, but you think if i upgraded to braked hub it wouldnt be worth it even if i didnt have the brake system set up. i just like the idaer of bigger wheels feels safer
below was the actual units
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!B,0u5rw!2k~$(KGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKtPUYSRL!~~_12.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	78435  
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 04:50   #14
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: isla plana spain
Make: humber/yam 360s
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 90+15+20
MMSI: mmsi 235907606
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
yes they are tapered bearing as you say.
think i will just get new units because when the bearing went, i still needed to get the boat home 4 miles, got back and center was red hot, well not red but very hot.
i wont bother looking into a van axle now. but was thinking of getting a higher weight limit, but you think if i upgraded to braked hub it wouldnt be worth it even if i didnt have the brake system set up. i just like the idaer of bigger wheels feels safer
below was the actual units
you seem determined to spend/waste money bigger wheels good for long distance but = boat higher therefore have to go in deeper, simple answer is look after them. you stated only ever washed once, do you wash & flush your outboard with fresh water after being in salt ??
__________________
apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 12:02   #15
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
If they are clean. Dry and greased they will last 1000's miles if not just a few hundred...
???


jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 13:38   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: breathless
Make: bayliner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 91 force 70hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 188
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples View Post
you seem determined to spend/waste money bigger wheels good for long distance but = boat higher therefore have to go in deeper, simple answer is look after them. you stated only ever washed once, do you wash & flush your outboard with fresh water after being in salt ??
hiya, i think because this has just happened im a bit worried about the future, i kinda feel i would like some sort of set up that i feel would be more then strong enough to cope with the weight, i was thinking at this point its an opportunity to upgrade if a need to spend.

yes i do wash the outboard after use, not strate after tho when i get back or day after.
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 13:42   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: breathless
Make: bayliner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 91 force 70hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 188
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespy999 View Post
Have a chat with western towing down on marsh Barton. 01392 216336. I have called them several times for different bit of advice re a trailer tent I have and have found them very friendly. I also had an indies pension trailer before that needed some tlc and they helped with that.

I did see your boat out on the river yesterday what size engine do you have? Cheers
hi eyespy
phoned western towing today, good advice given, taking my axle in asap to be sorted. was on the phone for half hour talking to Matt.
anyway where was you the other day at exmouth
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 13:50   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: under 3m
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
I was just out on the river clearing the cobwebs from my rib over near the warren and had a run down to the floating cafe and powderham. The sun was out, river was calm I just wish it was like that every weekend afternoon. Best of luck with the axle!
__________________
eyespy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 17:52   #19
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
new indespension units from indespension on there site on ebay, before hand i had the boat and trailer weighed and choose very suitable units 750kg per unit, over both units 1500kg, the boat and outboard at the time weighed around 650kg give or take abit.
Hi arkamelis

I'm a bit late in the game for this one and it sounds like you're sorted, which is great news.

Reference the above - careful with your weights. Indespension units are sold in paired wights. i.e. 750kg units are rated to 750kg per pair, not 750kg each (as per your statement above). So if your boat weighs in at 650kg, then that only allows you 100kg for the trailer weight and any additional items.

Also, the picture that you posted is of a pair of < 500k units. Their 750kg units have a solid, forged, drop arm. Not an open, box section type, as in the picture. This is what a 750kg unit looks like:



Not pointing fingers, or criticising, just telling you to be a tad careful - you may not have as much weight capacity as you think.

Boats & Outboards is correct - you have standard taper roller bearing hubs (4" PCD). Should be around 20 for parts (hubs aren't much dearer than a set of bearings once labour is introduced), plus a bit of labour if Western Towing are doing the work for you.

All the best.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2013, 16:37   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: breathless
Make: bayliner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 91 force 70hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 188
re trailer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Hi arkamelis

I'm a bit late in the game for this one and it sounds like you're sorted, which is great news.

Reference the above - careful with your weights. Indespension units are sold in paired wights. i.e. 750kg units are rated to 750kg per pair, not 750kg each (as per your statement above). So if your boat weighs in at 650kg, then that only allows you 100kg for the trailer weight and any additional items.

Also, the picture that you posted is of a pair of < 500k units. Their 750kg units have a solid, forged, drop arm. Not an open, box section type, as in the picture. This is what a 750kg unit looks like:



Not pointing fingers, or criticising, just telling you to be a tad careful - you may not have as much weight capacity as you think.

Boats & Outboards is correct - you have standard taper roller bearing hubs (4" PCD). Should be around 20 for parts (hubs aren't much dearer than a set of bearings once labour is introduced), plus a bit of labour if Western Towing are doing the work for you.

All the best.
hi
the picture was just taken from ebay i think they use the same picture for most of there units, but yes my units on the trailer are solid ones, i will bear in mind what you have said about weights and i will get it all weighed again once mobile. if pos could you give me you opinion on the location of the axle to wheres its mounted for the boat im concerned theres to much weight over the axle and due to this it has coursed a slight bow on the main sides. i kind of feel the wheel should be right back to surport the weight of outboard,fuel tank and back end of boat any help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0662 (Small).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	78501   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1315 (Small).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	78502  
__________________

__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.