Old 12 March 2012, 10:29   #41

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Hmm. Ive hit things with my trailer over the years and its Never Failed like that.
Admitidly its a steel tailer. but even so I would expect a trailer to be able to take a fair ammout of knocks and bumps as they need to due to pot holes,speed bumps crap roads etc.

Looks like poor welds and poor ally. IMO.
Old 12 March 2012, 11:27   #42

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Ali goes slightly brittle either side of any welding line. I would guess that if you look at the trailer it has failed next to a weld
Old 12 March 2012, 16:13   #43

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you look at the weld pics on page 2, it appears that the "weld" was actually just bead; no fusing of the base material, based on how cleanly the two pieces separated. Not the best weld job IMO.

jky
Old 17 March 2012, 18:54   #44

Town: devon
Boat name: number 9
Make: zapcat
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 50
i was down there on friday chatting to some lads in the yard, they said that the damage was as a result of the trailer having been jack-knifed and the boat shooting forwards and damaging the short wheelbase landrover that was towing it. Apparently there is an investigation going on to find out the cause of the accident !!
Old 17 March 2012, 19:12   #45

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski View Post
Here's mine 3500kg... hope it's ok, it's off to Sweden later this week
Well, trailer arrived in Stockholm on Friday, carrying a 2800kg boat, with no issues.
I have only had the trailer since last year, and have now sold it, I found it towed really well, and seemed more than capable, and a lot cheaper than the trailers sold by SW RIB Charter.
Old 17 March 2012, 19:23   #46

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Accident damage then and not a 'catastrophic trailure failure?' I thought SW Rib centre were a little disingenuous with the reporting. I've seen several Gullwings at QAB which is right on Michaels (South West Rib Charter aka South Coast Boat Trailers) doorstep.
Old 17 March 2012, 19:58   #47

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I always thought they were quality trailer

Isn't that what everybody will now be coming out and saying anyway ? Before knowing the full details we (me included) were all saying poor design, poorly built etc. Turns out it may well be driver error after all...or maybe not

My point is let's wait and see before jumping on any bandwagons
Old 17 March 2012, 20:18   #48
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Before knowing the full details we (me included) were all saying poor design, poorly built etc. Turns out it may well be driver error after all...or maybe not

Less of this "we" business, Paleface!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Oh dear! I've been looking at those trailers myself recently too. Perhaps I'll keep looking.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
This damage would suggest that the unfortunate driver may have hit something with the trailer which caused catastrophic damage to the trailer. Even a speed bump at high speed? Was there any damage to the Tyres or wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
There could be a number of reasons why the trailer failed, not properly hitched as Wilk said, incorectly loaded somehow, maybe the driver didnt see and slow down for a speed bump traffic calming measure (although why they call them "calming" is beyond me as they make my blood boil...especially when your towing something big )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Had it been hit itself by another car/truck or been off the road or...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW RIB Charter View Post
I agree that there are always 2 sides to every story and would be very interested to hear what explanation Gullwing Trailers can come up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
However, in the manufacturer's defence, you never know the full story behind these things. Could've been overloaded, or had excessive nose weight etc.

As a saddo trailer type I'd be interested to hear the facts and the manufacturer's side of things before coming to a conclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It might have happened if the towball wasn't engaged properly, hopped on the first big breaking run and the frame hit the road...

...just a possibility?
Old 17 March 2012, 20:27   #49

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards

To be fair I did pull a boat back on one from Essex to Cornwall and it was a pleasure, other than the constant rattle we had they towed excellent. Accidents can happen and like others have said maybe the other side of the story would explain all.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Or these

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW RIB Charter
Here are a couple more photos taken this afternoon. The first one shows the front of the trailer where it broke away. It looks to me like the weld has just failed. The second shows another weld on the rear swing beam, which also looks to have failed. There are several other split welds right down the trailer.
QUOTE="Polwart"]Looking at their website none of their designs have the double box side rails meeting at a point, so unless this was a new design the whole trailer is totally out of shape.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="jyasaki"]If you look at the weld pics on page 2, it appears that the "weld" was actually just bead; no fusing of the base material, based on how cleanly the two pieces separated. Not the best weld job IMO
Old 17 March 2012, 20:58   #50

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
I always thought they were quality trailer

Isn't that what everybody will now be coming out and saying anyway ? Before knowing the full details we (me included) were all saying poor design, poorly built etc. Turns out it may well be driver error after all...or maybe not

OK, so the trailer was shock-loaded when the boat LEFT the trailer (or attempted to leave the trailer anyway ) and not while it was loaded onto it.......but i was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Hmmm, the plot thickens....

If there are snapped welds the length of the trailer it would suggest to me an overloading problem or a defect in the welding process. Visually the welds look OK from what i can see but visually eyballing a weld is hardly conclusive.

As AMac already suggested, the dimensions of the profiles used dont seem to correspond with a trailer designed to carry nearly 3.5t...

If the trailer is genuinly designed to carry the coresponding load, is it possible it was shock loaded when the boat was loaded onto it?

I wouldnt expect to see weld failures on the swing beam clamp from any kind of cyclic stress as that area shouldn't be flexing as much as say, the main longitudinals....

Simon

Simon
Old 18 March 2012, 10:07   #51

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Accident damage then and not a 'catastrophic trailure failure?' I thought SW Rib centre were a little disingenuous with the reporting. I've seen several Gullwings at QAB which is right on Michaels (South West Rib Charter aka South Coast Boat Trailers) doorstep.
While I make no secret of the fact that we also supply boat trailers ourselves, everything that I have posted in this thread is based on the information which I have managed to obtain from examining the trailer and speaking to people in the marina, which I have tried to present without bias.

The reports I have heard (from more than one source) are that the trailer failed causing the boat and trailer to contact with the back of the Land Rover. I have heard no mention of a jack-knive being involved. Even if the trailer had jack-knived, I would not expect to have found the amount of damage present on this trailer. We had one of our hire trailers come back with jack-knife damage a couple of years ago. While the front end was very bent, it was still in 1 piece and all the welds were still in tact.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2012, 10:37   #52

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
As said right at the start...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy
As a statement of the bleeding obvious, there's something not right here...Need more facts, m'lud, more facts
Old 22 April 2012, 16:09   #53

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
any further news on this?
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 09:42   #54

Town: Poole
As per trailer guys question - any conclusions as I am considering a purchase from Gullwing?