Old 16 August 2006, 03:17   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
If the hull is permanently sitting on grease, I reckon there is bound to be some uptake. Then the day will arrive when you want to do a little gelcoat repair.....

Cod's tanks will not (should not) be normal laminating resin.

What you really need is for the boat to float off then launching will be effortless. Get some smaller road wheels. Tilt the trailer so the rear goes down. Fit the axle above the chassis etc., etc.

I hope they are not normal resin but just in case I asked Glasplies - they said even normal resin should be fine for over 25 years!!! Loads of people have made motorbike tanks out of normal resin with no probs....
Old 16 August 2006, 03:29   #22

Town: gaviota
Boat name: sr4
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Merc 2st
keel rollers

heya stephen, i agree with limeylinda. put a coupla keel rollers in the middle and adjust them to take most of the weight of your rib (using the side bunks as stabilizers in effect) and you'll be launching with one hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	21591  
Old 16 August 2006, 03:40   #23
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 130hp
Instead of Teflon try UHMW Polymer (plastic). I知 told this is much better than Teflon and it might also be a bit cheaper. UHMW on your bunks will allow you to launch and retrieve in shallow water with ease. The boat slides like on a roller trailer, but with the support of a bunk. You can get it cut to size at a good plastic supplier. 1/2" thick and then counter sink the screw head in to the plastic.

See this link for a description http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm
Old 16 August 2006, 10:49   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH
Instead of Teflon try UHMW Polymer (plastic). I知 told this is much better than Teflon and it might also be a bit cheaper. UHMW on your bunks will allow you to launch and retrieve in shallow water with ease. The boat slides like on a roller trailer, but with the support of a bunk. You can get it cut to size at a good plastic supplier. 1/2" thick and then counter sink the screw head in to the plastic.

See this link for a description http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm
Cool

A few of those 1/2 x 4 x 48" planks would be just the thing

Anybody know where to buy this stuff in the UK....? (must do mail order, obviously!)
Old 16 August 2006, 11:08   #25
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I used to do alot of competitive dinghy sailing and I was told not to use carpet on my roadtrailer or launching trolley, because after a dunking it holds water against the hull when the boat is not being used, this apparently leads to osmosis and bubbles forming in the gelcoat.
Old 16 August 2006, 16:50   #26

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Using the keel rollers on a bunk trailer is that recommended for larger heavier Ribs? I知 looking to do some mods to my bunk trailer in order to get more support under the bow it self and make it easier to load when weighted down with dive gear. The problem Jwalker mentioned about the rollers flattening out how fast does that happen? Are we talking a week or a couple years? On a bunk trailer has anyone had the problem when weighted down with tanks the bow sets lower in the water and wants to put the bow roller on the winch post right into the tubes!
Old 16 August 2006, 21:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144
Using the keel rollers on a bunk trailer is that recommended for larger heavier Ribs? I知 looking to do some mods to my bunk trailer in order to get more support under the bow it self and make it easier to load when weighted down with dive gear. The problem Jwalker mentioned about the rollers flattening out how fast does that happen? Are we talking a week or a couple years? On a bunk trailer has anyone had the problem when weighted down with tanks the bow sets lower in the water and wants to put the bow roller on the winch post right into the tubes!
I suppose the ultimate would be continuous rollers (like 20 or 30 big V rollers) all the way up the keel instead of a bunk, but that would be expensive....

No such problems with mine but the keel bunk goes right up to the winch post

I wish I was better at building stuff because I'd attack the trailer I have got and rebuild it the way I want it but I know I would just F it up...
Old 16 August 2006, 21:36   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Or a conveyor belt?
Old 16 August 2006, 22:18   #29

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Stephen that is what keeps me from going hog wild and going to town on my trailer. Although I do like the conveyer belt idea just don't think it would last more then a dunk or two in salt water. I think I知 going to add two v-rollers down the hull where I have trailer cross members and then 3 right at the bow to help bring it up when it comes into the winch post.
Old 16 August 2006, 22:48   #30

Mine already has conveyor belt but unfortunately its only 1/2 a conveyor belt and its nailed to the bit of wood underneath
Old 17 August 2006, 01:19   #31

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Steven. You only need four rollers. Stop pissing about and do it. Bunk only trailers are only suitable for float on/off applications. regards. T.
Old 17 August 2006, 09:03   #32

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Stop pissing about and do it.
Old 17 August 2006, 16:13   #33

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Ta

So there isn't really a magic solution that I have overlooked then, if you want to launch in shallow water then rollers are the only way?

Lots of money....
You could try reversing at 60 and stamping on the brakes. (Untie the boat first though) Using this technique I think you'd launch at any state of the tide.

I had a nice trailer in the states which featured a roller for the keel and side carpet covered bunks for the rails/chines. It was a true "drive on" jobby with structural hull guides. Bunks were marine ply secured with countersunk bolts covered in commercial grade carpet - glued. No problem launching or recovering and the boat was very stable towing - always went on in the same place each time. The weight was principally taken on the rollers and the bunks just touching so no great pressure stopping the boat sliding.
Old 17 August 2006, 18:31   #34

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
As to the last post, a friend of mine was launching his boat on a Monday (I was back at work, as were most people, I presume - he claimed no witnesses other than his dive buddy.)

He backs the boat into the water, and taps the brakes to get the boat off. NoGo. Pull up a bit, back in, hit the brakes harder. Still NoGo. One more time, with a bit of speed, and everything in the back of the pickup slides out, and is floating the ramp area. Get out, recover equipment bins, several dive cylinders, a cooler (which, conveniently, has shed the weight of all the contents), a couple of duffel bags of dry clothes (well, used to be dry, anyway), etc.

Look at the boat, and realize the trailer is not sitting flat. One wheel is suspended mid-water. Wade in, and see the problem: One transom strap still attached. Release transom strap, dodge trailer as it sinks to the bottom, dodge boat as it springs back to it's normal float line, pull out and park, go diving.

Sometimes, my friends are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

jky
Old 17 August 2006, 19:21   #35

Length: no boat
Nice one!

Old 17 August 2006, 21:30   #36

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I can beat that

Several years ago we were moored at one of the Marinas, adjacent to the lauch ramp, on Lake Mead ( AZ/NV). A couple in a 26ft. hard boat came in to retrieve.
He got off on the jetty while she circled the boat awaiting him with the trailer/vehicle rig ( vehicle was a $50k. Chevy Surburban) to back down the ramp. He backed it down, but not deep enough, she tried to drive on trailer but no success. He got out of Suburan and shouted "use more power you stupid B*tch. She did. Boat went right through the trailer and though the back window of the Suburban. I cannot publish the subsequent language. Wish I had had a camera. Damage to boat and vehicle had to at least $30K. We just fell over laughing and had another beer.
Old 17 August 2006, 22:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Several years ago we were moored at one of the Marinas, adjacent to the lauch ramp, on Lake Mead ( AZ/NV). A couple in a 26ft. hard boat came in to retrieve.
He got off on the jetty while she circled the boat awaiting him with the trailer/vehicle rig ( vehicle was a $50k. Chevy Surburban) to back down the ramp. He backed it down, but not deep enough, she tried to drive on trailer but no success. He got out of Suburan and shouted "use more power you stupid B*tch. She did. Boat went right through the trailer and though the back window of the Suburban. I cannot publish the subsequent language. Wish I had had a camera. Damage to boat and vehicle had to at least $30K. We just fell over laughing and had another beer.
Superb