Old 15 August 2006, 06:39   #11

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH
Teflon lined bunks has gained popularity in the last few years. I've noticed a few trailers around the area with teflon and the owners swear by how easy the boats slide on and off.
Any idea on a supplier for that please? A bundle of teflon planks would not be too expensive to ship down... or failing that polyprop - where from? I'm guessing at most we'd be talking about a couple of hundred quid which is far more agreeable than a couple of thousand! I'm assuming that over time these things will wear out, so there must be somebody making replacements....?

What are the bunks made of if you buy a new bunk-type trailer from Admiral, Dixon Bate etc?

I think the 'mentalists would start to yap and bicker if I flayed a few penguins or seals to upholster my trailer with, but it's an interesting idea

In the short term I can probably grab some cheap carpet and wax it, if the general thought is that this would be a big improvement on conveyor belt 0 what is best then, really el cheapo short fibre stuff? and what do you normally nail it down with?

Old 15 August 2006, 08:09   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A couple of hundred? I was thinkinjg more like 30!!! I know that doesn't include shipping but you must be able to find some sort of slippery plastic sheet locally? Failing that as someone else said wood impregnated with grease.

Old 15 August 2006, 13:06   #13

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
Penguin Skin?
Sheep instead of carpet ?

Of course you could always try and ponce a couple of rollers off the next visiting RN vessel's supply crew....get the p1ssed enough one night and you could end up with a new rib!
Old 15 August 2006, 14:21   #14

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
My bunks are carpet covered but there are rubber rollers in the middle . The bunks are much wider apart then yours .

I had a trailer more like yours for another boat and I used to grease the centre bit so the keel slid easily , worked ok for me . I carried a tin of chain lube for motorbikes and just gave it a spray after launching occasionaly.

pengiun has to good Kernow is right there i reckon or maybe seal Jiz
Old 15 August 2006, 17:16   #15

In terms of using lubes like grease or chain lube, what will the long term effect be of mineral oils on the fibreglass hull? I did wonder about grease or something but didn't do it on the basis that I thought it might damage the hull?
Old 15 August 2006, 17:21   #16

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
In terms of using lubes like grease or chain lube, what will the long term effect be of mineral oils on the fibreglass hull? I did wonder about grease or something but didn't do it on the basis that I thought it might damage the hull?
Well I have petrol in my fibreglass tanks and they seem fine!!!
Old 15 August 2006, 17:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Well I have petrol in my fibreglass tanks and they seem fine!!!
Fair point - I just don't want to do it and then find the gelcoat goes all squidgy and falls off.... I've already had enough disintegrating boat problems with the bouncy bit round the outside!
Old 15 August 2006, 17:38   #18

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Ta

So there isn't really a magic solution that I have overlooked then, if you want to launch in shallow water then rollers are the only way?

Lots of money....
Depends how resourcefull you are. A couple of pneumatic jockey wheel sized rollers combined with your bunks might just be the job .

Usually only the launch is a problem with bunks. Might be worth an investergation.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2006, 18:13   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Fair point - I just don't want to do it and then find the gelcoat goes all squidgy and falls off.... I've already had enough disintegrating boat problems with the bouncy bit round the outside!
If the hull is permanently sitting on grease, I reckon there is bound to be some uptake. Then the day will arrive when you want to do a little gelcoat repair.....

Cod's tanks will not (should not) be normal laminating resin.

What you really need is for the boat to float off then launching will be effortless. Get some smaller road wheels. Tilt the trailer so the rear goes down. Fit the axle above the chassis etc., etc.
Old 15 August 2006, 18:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
If the hull is permanently sitting on grease, I reckon there is bound to be some uptake. Then the day will arrive when you want to do a little gelcoat repair.....

Cod's tanks will not (should not) be normal laminating resin.

What you really need is for the boat to float off then launching will be effortless. Get some smaller road wheels. Tilt the trailer so the rear goes down. Fit the axle above the chassis etc., etc.
Pretty much my thinking on greases etc....

Smaller wheels are on the to-do list, the current ones are 7.50R16 Land Rover wheels/tyres and I have some worn but good Michelin 235/70R16 tyres I apprehended from work to go on, which are a few inches smaller in diameter, about 29" instead of 32", so that'll be an inch and a half less water required straight away just trying to find some cast-off rims at the moment so I can chuck the old ones away, they are pretty scabby!