Old 12 February 2009, 11:07   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I agree. Unless you've always got deep water, get it a low as possible. Your wheels look quite large diameter and since your axles are straight across the trailer, this is going to limit you to quite a high rig for bunks. Is there any way you can V the centre section of the axles?

Why do you guys angle the vertical spacers between the rails? Is there something I should know?
Yep makes it look pretty
Old 23 February 2009, 02:26   #22

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Here is the hull in place on the bare crossmembers. I have set the crossmembers as low as the axles allow as I shall be launching into shallow water at all tide states.

I am trying the hull for size before I fit keel rollers etc. The keel is flat for the first 3.5m towards the bow from the transom so the first 3 rollers will be 'the same level'. My only concern is whether the outer edge of the hull (directly under the tubes will catch on the sides of the trailer as the boat slides into shallow water. Looking at the upward flare on the hull this may be okay for clearance.

What I shall do is tack the rollers on what I think is the right level (I dont have the capacity to make adjustable rollers) and launch the boat onto a well padded floor (without engines etc) and then recover by winching onto the trailer.

Tyres on the trailer will be renewed as this set have been distorted by the sun and are different profiles.

I would be grateful for any other suggestion on improvements at this stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8099.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	40635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8100.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	40636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8103.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	40637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8104.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	40638  
Old 23 February 2009, 04:35   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Can you set the bunks so they run to the back of the trailer so that if the boat touches them as you guide it on, it only touches the soft carpet on the bunk.

How much clearance do you have between the wheels and the hull + are you fitting mud guards, I assume the red cans are to weigh the boat down as if it were rigged with engines etc?

Do you need to fit some guide poles to ensure the boat sits on the middle of the trailer, this may help with it missing the trailer to I'll post some pics of mine later

Jim
Old 23 February 2009, 09:35   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Andy, if you are going to use bunks (and I think they are a good idea), rather than having keel rollers, a couple of rollers in a V formation about inline with the trailer wheels will both support the boat as it is pulled in and act a centralising guides. Another set nearer the bow will guide, support and assist launching. If you imagine the stern of the boat beginning to float at launch it will become free of the bunks, the front rollers will take the bow weight and allow you to roll the boat off easily. You do have to ensure the bow snubber, if you use one, doesn't interfere with this. When you are winching the boat onto the trailer, it will catch onto the mid rollers and the tension of the winch line will pull is straight and help it align as it is winched in. Then you just need a protection roller on the centre of the rear cross member to prevent damage should the boat contact it.

http://rib.net/forum/attachment.php?...9&d=1190147371