Old 09 August 2002, 16:30   #1

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Trailer Breakdown Cover

This was mentioned on another thread - but I thought I would start a new one....

For details of what the AA covers have a look here

http://www.theaa.co.uk/breakdowncove.../brejoi008.asp

It says

Quote:
In addition, assistance will be provided for caravans or trailers on tow at the time of the breakdown, provided that they fall within the above limits for UK Relay service only. A caravan or trailer of a length of greater than 18ft (5.5m) but not exceeding 26ft (8m) will be recovered provided that this can be done safely under tow.
Please note:
Five Star 72 Hour European Breakdown Assistance does not cover any trailers transporting either motor vehicles or any waterborne craft.
So in the UK a trailer upto 8m will be recovered if it can be towed. This is OK if its the car that breaks down - but if there is a problem with the trailer then your stuck!
I take it this is when the "trailer cover" from Sea Start kicks in

Jools
Old 09 August 2002, 20:51   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Yes!

Yes, this is exactly the reason I went for the Seastart trailer rescue. Not particularly concerned about the car breaking down - have cover for that through warranty but more concerned about the bearings going on the trailer for example. I am not adept enough to carry out major repairs at the roadside so value the piece of mind the cover gives me.

Alan
Old 10 August 2002, 18:51   #3

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
I have had cover through National Breakdown which became Green Flag and now Direct Line and they cover the whole rig Car + trailer in the UK and Europe. I have only needed them once for traliler breakdown and this was for bearings so they stuck the trailer + boat on a flatbead breakdown truck ant took it home. Very good service.

John
Old 10 August 2002, 20:12   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Exactly - Simons parents took their boat down to the south coast from up here in the stix last year. Can't remember which breakdown service but it was one of the big two with whom they had signed up after asking if the trailer was covered. Wheel bearing went, breakdown truck turned up-sorry can't help you as the car is ok, cost 'em over £100 to have the boat recovered to a garage. By contrast I towed a friends boat down to wales ready for trip over to Ireland when the trailer sheared three wheel studs on one wheel (scary!!). No problem to Green flag (we joined them ages ago via the Caravan Club). Simply asked what was wrong with the car , told them its not the car, answer-Oh is it the caravan?- No its a boat trailer. Half an hour later breakdown truck arrived winched trailer on the back and brought it and its owner home whilst I came back in the car. Excellent service.