Old 02 October 2007, 22:01   #1

Town: Wirral / Anglesey
Boat name: Cobalt
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150hp
Trailer Breakdown

Anyone know whether anyone offers boat trailer breakdown insurance? I've just discovered the RAC doesn't! They'll recover the trailer if the car breaks down, but if say a wheel bearing went on the trailer I'd be stuck. What do other ribsters do?
Cheers
Nick
Old 02 October 2007, 22:08   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Most of us are in that boat too.
I do remember someone saying that if you got breakdown cover with one of the big boys via the Caravan Club you could possibly get trailer cover too though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2007, 22:09   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I went with International Breakdown. After researching this on here. Paid a lot more than I normally do. About £130 for two cars plus trailer.

But when I took the policy out in May I quizzed them on the phone and they were adamant that they would recover my trailer come what may. Haven't used them yet so can't vouch for that side of things.

Also last month I received a notification that they were being administered by another company and the policy had changed slightly.

If you go down the International Breakdown route ring them and ask if your wheel falls off the trailer but the car is akoy will they recover.

They told me anything under 7.5 meters would be okay for total trailer length.

Keep us posted as up to date info on this sort of thing is always handy.

NR.
Old 02 October 2007, 22:14   #4

Town: Leighton Buzzard
I am with the AA, when I had a bearing failure last year they recovered the trailer with no questions.
Richard
Old 02 October 2007, 23:00   #5

Town: Bedfordshire
Make: Maxum
Engine: Sportboat Bowrider
I was in the AA until this year and always got a different answer when I challenged their call centre on the exact cover for a trailer - ranged from none unless the car has broken down to up to half an hour at the roadside only with best endeavours to fix it and arrange a recovery at extra cost if we can't.

I removed the doubts by joining the Caravan Club and getting their Green Flag members breakdown cover (different to general public offering). After including the £35 a year CC membership it still only cost a total extra £5 compared to what I'd been paying the AA.

when I rang the AA to cancel & they asked why I explained I couldn't get a definite answer on trailers and they made no attempt to convince me otherwise to retain the business. No doubt there are those that did get help and those that were rejected but for an extra fiver I was happy not to risk it. The CC version also includes recovery to your destination so if the car broke down on the way they could still get my trailer and boat to our holiday destination so I could carry on with a boating holiday while the car was fixed.

The European cover i took out for 2 weeks in July even specified it was a boat on a trailer so there was definitely no issue with it not being a caravan.

Dave
Old 03 October 2007, 02:20   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Over here, the CAA offers "RV" service for a premium which includes removing a trailer on a flatbed if necessary... at a significant premium...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 07:10   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
I'm with these guys

Worth a look as they offer a range of cover for trailers and boat engines, but your car needs other cover

www.marinesupport.co.uk
Old 03 October 2007, 09:56   #8

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
And for those who don't have any cover...
I was towing a small boat down the M6 from Cumbria to the Liverpool ferry terminal last Sunday when I got a puncture near Junct.32... no spare of course. The Highways Agency supplied me with a number of a contracted recovery guy from Blackpool who came out and replaced the 8" wheel and tyre.
Price £211 Lesson learned.
I had previously been with the AA but they refused to help me with a trailer breakdown in the Republic of Ireland because I didn't have European Breakdown cover... even though I was only 70 miles from home and lived in the same country.
Old 03 October 2007, 10:06   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
In answer to your excet question I'm fairly certain that nobody does, so I'd take the prevention is better than cure route and keep your trailer bearings in tippy top condition.

I do have recovery insurance mine is with Direct line/green Flag and the trailer will get recovered I also know that the top AA membership will sort you a recovery
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 12:23   #10
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
In answer to your excet question I'm fairly certain that nobody does, so I'd take the prevention is better than cure route and keep your trailer bearings in tippy top condition.

I do have recovery insurance mine is with Direct line/green Flag and the trailer will get recovered I also know that the top AA membership will sort you a recovery
They do have a look at the website about £46 a year even bring a spare wheel out if you need it

www.marinesupport.co.uk
Old 03 October 2007, 12:45   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Looks good!
Does this mean that RAC vams are now running around with a range of trailer bearings and maybe brake parts?

Or would they go and collect the parts from the nearest trailer place, if it was open,

or would they just relay you home or to your onward destintion?

the Website seems to be ubclear about what they will do
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 12:56   #12

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Brittania Rescue, covers Car and Trailer, used them twice for trailer recovery brilliant.
Old 03 October 2007, 13:24   #13

Town: Fareham
Ashbypower's right Britannia Rescue are great, have a look here

And you can get personal cover which covers any car your driving too.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 13:47   #14

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Brittania Rescue, covers Car and Trailer, used them twice for trailer recovery brilliant.
Same here! once comming back from Cornwall & the second time just after leaving home & getting on the M25.
They did say if the trailer wheels were wider than the flatbed then there could be a problem, but the recovery man said no problem just wheel the trailer over the bed & pull it up with the trailer sitting on its axle.
Old 03 October 2007, 16:09   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Looks good!
Does this mean that RAC vams are now running around with a range of trailer bearings and maybe brake parts?

Or would they go and collect the parts from the nearest trailer place, if it was open,

or would they just relay you home or to your onward destintion?

the Website seems to be ubclear about what they will do
Not sure but he said they would either get me home or to where i wanted to go and they took details

Wheel/ tyre size
trailer weight etc

I was more interested in me and my loved ones (boat & wife) not being left at the side of the road
Old 03 October 2007, 17:25   #16

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
AA have recovered trailers for me on 2 occastions with no problems at all, even a 250 mile recovery home!
Old 06 October 2007, 19:56   #17

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
AA's been good to be too - although they did confirm the max length limit was around 18" - cant remember exactly....but with my 5.5m rib its not been a problem.

Having said that i carry a spare wheel, hub with a pressed in bearing and new lock nut - so this avoids the disputes and the £250 recovery bills.... it still amazes me how many still dont seem to carry spare bearings or even a spare wheel!
Old 06 October 2007, 22:50   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
AA's been good to be too - although they did confirm the max length limit was around 18" - cant remember exactly....but with my 5.5m rib its not been a problem.

Having said that i carry a spare wheel, hub with a pressed in bearing and new lock nut - so this avoids the disputes and the £250 recovery bills.... it still amazes me how many still dont seem to carry spare bearings or even a spare wheel!
Doesn't that sum it up really , unless your trailer is a rusting heap thats about to break in half , what else can go wrong ? other than tyres and bearings , carrying spares is surely the best insurance .
Old 06 October 2007, 22:59   #19

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Doesn't that sum it up really , unless your trailer is a rusting heap thats about to break in half , what else can go wrong ? other than tyres and bearings , carrying spares is surely the best insurance .
I carry the spares. Wheel and bearings. I can change the wheel but I couldn't change the bearings. Would the recovery bloke be able to change the bearings ? Is that part of the agreement ? I'm with International breakdown who have assured me they would recover my trailer.

They better do because it cost tons of dosh !!!!
Old 06 October 2007, 23:39   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I carry the spares. Wheel and bearings. I can change the wheel but I couldn't change the bearings. Would the recovery bloke be able to change the bearings ? Is that part of the agreement ? I'm with International breakdown who have assured me they would recover my trailer.

They better do because it cost tons of dosh !!!!
I dunno ,if you asked politely and gave him some beer vouchers Iam sure he would oblige Its an easy job with the right tool
The RAC / AA patrol men are very helpful once you get past the red tape at the office .

I had a misfire on my seat V5 . I knew it was one of the 5 coils but which one ??
I stopped a few miles from home and called the RAC , the patrol man conected the car to his laptop , told me which coil , then he followed me home , and cancelled the fault code . All I had to do was get a coil and fit it ,saving me about £150 for the dealer to do the 2 min computer job.