Old 13 November 2005, 08:58   #1

Town: Wembury, South Devon
Boat name: Double Trouble
Make: Avon Adventure 560
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 4 Stroke 80hp
Trailer Brakes jammed solid

I have an Indespension Rollercoaster 1 Trailer. The brakes are seized solid and when I try to move the Boat the wheels won't turn due to the shoes bonded to the drum.
I do not leave the handbrake on although I reverse the boat down a slight gradient to park the trailer.
I have had this problem before and literally dragged the boat 30 yards leaving tread all over the driveway until the locked wheel freed.
I cannot move the boat even to take it to a trailer centre. Is there anywhere that I can get instructions on how to release the shoes from the drum for this trailer?
I have no choice even though I am not mechanically minded as I cannot move the boat to free the wheels. Not even a swb 2.8 TD Shogun in 4wd will break the bond.
Is this a common problem?
The trailer is not that old. 2 to 3 years.
Is ther an online information available?
Would appreciate some tips from anyone knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks
Old 13 November 2005, 09:03   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Jack the trailer up, take the wheels off one at a time (chock the other wheel so it doesn't roll off..)and whack the drum with a big hammer-just don't do it hard enough to crack the drum. A firm but not hard bang will do it. Repeat as necessary.

DON'T OIL THEM! (it's obvious but as you say you're not mechanically minded-not everyone knows it...)

Bingo-free brakes.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 09:16   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Use a big tow vehicle and rip the bakes out! You ought to jack each wheel off the ground and spin them up to check for bearing rumble. If a bearing collapses you'll lose a wheel. The prob with drum brakes on a boat trailer is that everytime that they're dipped in the oggin they start to rust and seize. Unless the drums are removed and the internals are washed and lubed, this process is inevitable. It's an ongoing problem, I just take them out as I only tow short distances and with them in it's doubtul how much used they'd be in an emergency stop situation as it's nie on impossible to keep the properly adjusted.
Old 13 November 2005, 09:29   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Gotta be able to remove the brakes 1st though... I'm assuming you don't mean drag it until they free up? Sounds like he's more likely to burst the tyres doing that.

If there's no way of removing the wheels safely it MIGHT work rocking the trailer back and forwards with a big tow vehicle...

Old 13 November 2005, 09:36   #5

Town: Wembury, South Devon
Boat name: Double Trouble
Make: Avon Adventure 560
Engine: Yamaha 4 Stroke 80hp
Tried rocking with shogun. Doesn't want to know. How do you remove the casing?
Old 13 November 2005, 09:36   #6

Town: Coventry
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Jack the trailer up, take the wheels off one at a time (chock the other wheel so it doesn't roll off..)and whack the drum with a big hammer-just don't do it hard enough to crack the drum. A firm but not hard bang will do it. Repeat as necessary.
Bingo-free brakes.
This has worked for me.Twice this year the Mudeford jet skiers have kindly moved my trailer and then put the hand brake on , with obvious consequences,gentle persuasion with a 'brummy screwdriver' worked both times.
Old 13 November 2005, 09:45   #7
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
If you're not mechanically minded get the trailer centre to do it once the brakes are free. If your brakes are seized then you'll probably have fun removing the hub and it'll take a fair bit of skill to remove them without trashing the studs.

Old 13 November 2005, 11:06   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Rocking with a car can free the brakes but it involves lots of voilence and it ain't a pretty sight.

To remove the brakes jack her up both sides and secure the trailer on something solid, not the jack. Leave the wheels on for the moment just knock out the centre wheel bearing cover with screw driver and hammer, its either light metal or plastic. Undo the large nut and remove the spacer behind. Remove the front bearing. Slacken off the brake adjuster behind the wheel with 17mm spanner. Now using the wheel as a lever / hand hold try to remove the hub (cast steel drum). There might be a lip inside the drum which is why the shoes won't allow the drum to slide off the shaft. If that doesn't work, off with the wheel and thump the hub, back on with the wheel with two nuts and again try to lever the hub off.

If it really does go pear shaped, then the axle is only held on with 4 u bolts so if the trailer was supported well the whole thing could be removed and taken to a trailer centre.

Last tip once this is sorted is to roll the trailer backwards and forwards a couple of times by hand before finally parking after a day out it so the shoes are free of the drums. This needs to be done by hand.

The brake mechanism isn't complicated so stripping it down will be good practise so you will know how to change the bearing in future. The outer bearing races come out of the hub with a screw driver and hammer from the opposite side and new ones go back in with lots of grease using the old race as a guide. Indespension do a good little book on this if its not covered in the manual.

Pete