Old 25 September 2016, 19:12   #21

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
I'm more worried about insurance at the moment, I heard recently of a caravan claim being refused because the van was longer than 7m.

What a lot of pish ...
Old 25 September 2016, 19:28   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dan,
There is an exception to the length limit for indivisible loads. I will find it for you..

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../made/data.pdf

S7(3)a
Old 25 September 2016, 19:48   #23

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
What a lot of pish ...
Pish in that it didn't happen, or pish in that it shouldn't happen, or pish in that I'm making it up to get attention?
Old 25 September 2016, 19:58   #24

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Dan,
There is an exception to the length limit for indivisible loads. I will find it for you..

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../made/data.pdf

S7(3)a
So the length rules don't apply to any trailer designed to carry a specific load (boat trailer, glider, etc etc)? Fair enough. Thanks for that.

I guess that wouldn't stop a 7m caravan falling foul though. And as Xk59D says has no baring on the recovery company's requirements .
Old 25 September 2016, 20:00   #25

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
We're confusing two issues here.

Their refusal to recover a trailer with an overall length over 7mtrs is not because the trailer isn't road legal.

My friend is an RAC recovery truck driver and they are not allowed to recover a trailer with an overall length over 7mrs. RAC rules....nothing to do with the law.

If it was a legal issue, Green Flag wouldn't be able to flout the law just because you are a member of the Caravan Club and gave them an extra wedge of cash.

This is where my fight with Green Flag started. When I signed up I ask what their trailer policy was. I was told "they would recover any trailer that I was lawfully towing" then I read the small print, phoned them.....their story had changed and I was refunded the balance of my subscription.
Old 25 September 2016, 20:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
So the length rules don't apply to any trailer designed to carry a specific load (boat trailer, glider, etc etc)? Fair enough. Thanks for that.

I guess that wouldn't stop a 7m caravan falling foul though. And as Xk59D says has no baring on the recovery company's requirements .
as LT says above, the trailer is legal but that has sod all to do with being recovered unfortunately.

i have read people here being recovered when needed but i don't know if that was before rules changed (if they did?) or they had bit of luck with the recovery truck or W.H.Y, all i know is none of them would recover me when i told them the total length of the trailer/boat (just under 8m). the exception to this was greenflag relay but you need to join the caravan club to get that.
Old 25 September 2016, 21:34   #27

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Anyway, How did jhoughton get on with his Trailer at the start of the thread ??
Mind you he didn't really give an alot of info so people could comment on it ??
where abouts in wales is the trailer ?
wheres he from ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoughton View Post
Hi all, I launched our rib in Wales in August and, as we launched, so one of the wheels floated to the surface! It turned out the bearing had got so hot the whole wheel had parted company with the axle on the road and, when the weight of the boat was removed, the wheel fell off.

Anyway, we're trying to get it fixed and apparently the drum on the trailer is damaged beyond repair. I'm currently 250 miles from the trailer but I think it's an old version of a super roller coaster 10. Does anyone know how different the drums are between the different roller coaster trailers/have a recommendation for someone to source these from?
Thanks
Old 26 September 2016, 05:48   #28

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i think the 7 metre thing with the recovery company's is simply that all the local garages that are used by greenflag and the majority of the rac trucks ect cannot physically carry anything longer and they would have to organise a longer flatbed/low-loader ect .my total length of osprey 5.6 on a roller coaster 3 is exactly 7 metres and it only just fit on the recovery wagon
Old 26 September 2016, 10:37   #29

Town: Aberdovey
Boat name: Sea Bear
Make: Avon
Engine: Twin Mariner 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred. View Post
Anyway, How did jhoughton get on with his Trailer at the start of the thread ??
Mind you he didn't really give an alot of info so people could comment on it ??
where abouts in wales is the trailer ?
wheres he from ??
Thanks! Sorry for not giving enough detail; here's another go.

In brief, the wheel fell off. I can't quite work out from a distance how the trailer wheels work (i.e. what sits inside what) and so don't know exactly what parts I need to get hold of. The mechanic said it needed a new drum. Does the bearing sit inside the drum? In which case, do I need a new drum, bearing and hub?

I've had a good scour of the Indispension website and can't work out what I need to buy!

Hope that's clearer. We're in Aberdovey. Thanks for any advice. Have enjoyed following the conversation about the trailer length/lights issue!

Jim
Old 26 September 2016, 11:47   #30

If you ring indespension Uk and give them the vin no from the trailer plate found on the drawbar not the one on the coupling they should be able to identify the drum required which may come with a bearing installed
Old 26 September 2016, 11:49   #31

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
^^^^Worth a try.

How exactly did the wheel part company from the trailer in the first place, did the wheel nuts come undone & just the wheel come off, did the hubnut undo or fail & the brake drum come off with the wheel, did the stub axle snap & the wheel, brake drum & remains of the stub come off? Although I think the last unlikely as I would expect your mechanic to be telling you you need more than just a drum assembly.
Generally a drum incorporates the hub and a new drum will usually come with the appropriate bearings & seals.
If you don't know what the actual problem is & aren't going to be doing the job yourself why don't you just let the mechanic sort it out?
He's got the trailer & should be able to source what's required either locally or from one of the online suppliers such as TrailerTek - Trailer Parts and Spares - Trailertek who I've used several times for trailer stuff.

ETA Have a look at the links in Trailer Guys sticky thread at the top of this forum (you're looking for post #5) & you'll see him changing bearings which should give you a better idea of how it all works.
Several other useful links in the thread too, incl post #21.
Old 26 September 2016, 19:14   #32

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Is the stub axel ok reason when I had a bearing disintegrate it wiped the drum brakes the lot. Wheel was still on when I jacked up it fell off it was cheaper to buy a full axel which came with sealed bearings and new cables result
Old 28 September 2016, 10:32   #33

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
The older super roller coaster 10 trailers used to run a 250mm drum. It's a twin axle?
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 13:55   #34

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoughton View Post
Thanks! Sorry for not giving enough detail; here's another go.

In brief, the wheel fell off. I can't quite work out from a distance how the trailer wheels work (i.e. what sits inside what) and so don't know exactly what parts I need to get hold of. The mechanic said it needed a new drum. Does the bearing sit inside the drum? In which case, do I need a new drum, bearing and hub?

I've had a good scour of the Indispension website and can't work out what I need to buy!

Hope that's clearer. We're in Aberdovey. Thanks for any advice. Have enjoyed following the conversation about the trailer length/lights issue!

Jim
Hi Jim,
The reason I mentioned about lack of info as I thought that maybe if people knew more , then they could give you recommendations on local business's in that area that could help you out :-) & not be guessing on scanrio's
Theres a great trailer shop in Bridgwater who are really helpful but they would be asking all the same questions ( & turns out are no where near you )! Bridgwater Trailer Centre

Whats a little strange is that your mechanic is leaving you to source the parts when he has access to the trailer & can see whats needed etc ??
Especially as others have said, he can just ring up with the trailer details from the manufactors info / vin plate
Maybe he could send you some photo's of the trailer, trailer stub axle, Vin plate etc which would help a lot ! (have you not got any photo's of the trailer with the boat on so others can recognise what it is ?)

These guys do lots of Hubs (including second hand ) Brake Drums - Trailertek

but as everyone has said its likely the stub axle is damaged for the wheel to come off !
So you will probably need to buy the complete unit like this below, that is suitable for your trailer, as you can see from the photos theres lots of variations so again it comes back to identifying the correct trailer - Vin plate !!!

http://www.indespension.co.uk/214-br...spension-units

Hope this helps
keeps us updated on proceedings & post the pics so people can recognised the trailer !
Cheers
Old 28 September 2016, 14:30   #35

RIBase
Stock and bespoke axles from Indespension, the towing experts - Indespension

not sure what size trailer you have but what Fred has posted in price terms for a pair of hubs might not be far off the cost of a new axle which is just a bolt on and couple cables might off set mechanics cost of stripping and replacing only to find other problems and since your not there not much can go wrong with all new just a thought
Old 28 September 2016, 15:38   #36

iv just put a complete axle from indespension on my roller coaster 3 and I'm pretty sure the axle was £400 delivery on top
Old 28 September 2016, 17:36   #37

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
iv just put a complete axle from indespension on my roller coaster 3 and I'm pretty sure the axle was £400 delivery on top
Discounted Prices on link above beauty is new suspension too
Old 28 September 2016, 20:13   #38

tbh I fitted a new coupling and a drum flushing kit 2 new wheels/tyres its like a new trailer now
Old 28 September 2016, 20:44   #39
RIBnet Supporter

Concur with Beerbelly - call Indespension with your trailer's details and they'll get you sorted - they're generally good on parts/shipping.
Old 29 September 2016, 15:39   #40

Town: Aberdovey
Boat name: Sea Bear
Make: Avon
Engine: Twin Mariner 90
Thanks all. Indispension have sorted it (I hope). It appears the stub axle is ok. Many thanks for advice.