Old 18 January 2016, 17:01   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Make: Osprey Viper
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 100hp 2s
RIBase
Trailer axle mounting

So I've splashed the cash and gone and bought a new axle for my single axle Indespension roller.

After getting prices from various suppliers, it turned out that the one that has / had the reputation of being expensive was in fact the cheapest.

Although I've not got it yet, should be here end of the week (tempting fate !!!), Indespension are supplying the new 1300kg axle, which will come with brakes, bearing savers, u bolt fixings, etc. and delivery. All for 50+ less than elsewhere.

Main question is - my current axle is mounted as per catalogue photo 1 with what appears to be a spacer bar between the axle securing plate and the chassis. Do I need this to there ? If so, why ??

Or can I have the new axle secured as per catalogue photo 2, which has the axle securing plates being u bolted straight onto the chassis (with no spacer bar inbetween ) ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453154429.478712.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	110406

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453154452.222066.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	110407

I will give Indespension a buzz no doubt but thought I'd asked here first, more chance of a sensible answer on here !!!

Thanks

Old 18 January 2016, 17:16   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140
MMSI: -
Can't see what purpose that spacer bar serves. I wouldn't fit it

Old 18 January 2016, 17:50   #3

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke
Spacer increases ground/ keel clearance if you don't need it you don't need it.......
Old 18 January 2016, 18:57   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: highfield 5
Make: highfield
Engine: honda 90hp vtec
Nice to see you had a deal with the high end supplier pilotwillie, I know that was same story for me too in may 2015 ,
Old 19 January 2016, 02:49   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Spacer increases ground/ keel clearance if you don't need it you don't need it.......

Need to get back to the boat and see the set up but I was thinking along the lines of it also giving more clearance between wheel arch and tyre. Just not sure what the wheel arches are mounted on to.

Think I'm ok with ground keel clearance (13" tyres), never noticed it as being a potential problem. If things get tight then as long as the chassis grounds first before my lovely gelcoat ! Transom is always vulnerable on a slope, maybe the extra 25mm would prove crucial ???
Old 19 January 2016, 03:03   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Nice to see you had a deal with the high end supplier pilotwillie, I know that was same story for me too in may 2015 ,

Yeah, the tele sales person wasn't too sure on honouring the extra 10% online discount (had to phone them as it wasn't being applied at checkout). Yet, when he got clearance from 'accounts' to go ahead, the price quoted was even better than the advertised Sale price minus 10% !?! Plus u bolt fixings, plus delivery. I couldn't get the 'long card number' down the phone quick enough ! However, as said before, still not got it yet !!! 😃
Overall, I found Indespension good to deal with, and on this occasion keen prices. Swapping the axles over shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 19 January 2016, 12:25   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I'd agree with HDAV. Don't use it if you don''t need it; higher on the trailer means you'll need to be deeper to get the boat on/off (though a roller trailer mitigates that to some extent.) Also depends on the length of threads on the U-bolts, so watch that as well.

jky
Old 19 January 2016, 16:16   #8

RIBase
Thanks, good point about the u bolt length, it'll be interesting to see what length the Indespension supplied ones will be ! I'm leaning towards not using the 'spacer bar' when I mount the new axle, but just a bit wary of changing the set-up from something that currently works. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' kinda situation.
Old 19 January 2016, 16:34   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Is it to get the trailer level when attached to a normal height tow bar? Removing the spacer would reduce ground clearance but with a fixed tow bar height, the aft end would be doubly'ish affected.
Old 20 January 2016, 07:17   #10

RIBase
Yep, another possible reason. How level should a trailer be ? Especially on a single axle. Measured by spirit level ?? I'm presuming most important would be the correct noseweight. As long as the ar$e of the RIB isn't scraping the tarmac. I honestly don't have a clue !!! Really need to phone Indespension for their take on it.