Old 18 January 2016, 21:01   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Trailer axle mounting

So I've splashed the cash and gone and bought a new axle for my single axle Indespension roller.

After getting prices from various suppliers, it turned out that the one that has / had the reputation of being expensive was in fact the cheapest.

Although I've not got it yet, should be here end of the week (tempting fate !!!), Indespension are supplying the new 1300kg axle, which will come with brakes, bearing savers, u bolt fixings, etc. and delivery. All for £50+ less than elsewhere.

Main question is - my current axle is mounted as per catalogue photo 1 with what appears to be a spacer bar between the axle securing plate and the chassis. Do I need this to there ? If so, why ??

Or can I have the new axle secured as per catalogue photo 2, which has the axle securing plates being u bolted straight onto the chassis (with no spacer bar inbetween ) ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453154429.478712.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	110406

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453154452.222066.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	110407

I will give Indespension a buzz no doubt but thought I'd asked here first, more chance of a sensible answer on here !!!

Thanks
Old 18 January 2016, 21:16   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Can't see what purpose that spacer bar serves. I wouldn't fit it
Old 18 January 2016, 21:50   #3

Town: Cardiff
Spacer increases ground/ keel clearance if you don't need it you don't need it.......
Old 18 January 2016, 22:57   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Nice to see you had a deal with the high end supplier pilotwillie, I know that was same story for me too in may 2015 ,
Old 19 January 2016, 06:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Spacer increases ground/ keel clearance if you don't need it you don't need it.......

Need to get back to the boat and see the set up but I was thinking along the lines of it also giving more clearance between wheel arch and tyre. Just not sure what the wheel arches are mounted on to.

Think I'm ok with ground keel clearance (13" tyres), never noticed it as being a potential problem. If things get tight then as long as the chassis grounds first before my lovely gelcoat ! Transom is always vulnerable on a slope, maybe the extra 25mm would prove crucial ???
Old 19 January 2016, 07:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Nice to see you had a deal with the high end supplier pilotwillie, I know that was same story for me too in may 2015 ,

Yeah, the tele sales person wasn't too sure on honouring the extra 10% online discount (had to phone them as it wasn't being applied at checkout). Yet, when he got clearance from 'accounts' to go ahead, the price quoted was even better than the advertised Sale price minus 10% !?! Plus u bolt fixings, plus delivery. I couldn't get the 'long card number' down the phone quick enough ! However, as said before, still not got it yet !!! 😃
Overall, I found Indespension good to deal with, and on this occasion keen prices. Swapping the axles over shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 19 January 2016, 16:25   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I'd agree with HDAV. Don't use it if you don''t need it; higher on the trailer means you'll need to be deeper to get the boat on/off (though a roller trailer mitigates that to some extent.) Also depends on the length of threads on the U-bolts, so watch that as well.

jky
Old 19 January 2016, 20:16   #8

Thanks, good point about the u bolt length, it'll be interesting to see what length the Indespension supplied ones will be ! I'm leaning towards not using the 'spacer bar' when I mount the new axle, but just a bit wary of changing the set-up from something that currently works. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' kinda situation.
Old 19 January 2016, 20:34   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Is it to get the trailer level when attached to a normal height tow bar? Removing the spacer would reduce ground clearance but with a fixed tow bar height, the aft end would be doubly'ish affected.
Old 20 January 2016, 11:17   #10

Yep, another possible reason. How level should a trailer be ? Especially on a single axle. Measured by spirit level ?? I'm presuming most important would be the correct noseweight. As long as the ar$e of the RIB isn't scraping the tarmac. I honestly don't have a clue !!! Really need to phone Indespension for their take on it.
Old 20 January 2016, 11:43   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Better if there's a slight "run-down" to the stern so as the boat drains when it's attached to the car but generally you can achieve this by adjusting rollers on the trailer.
Old 20 January 2016, 19:19   #12

So I phoned Indespension today and spoke with their Sales / Technical Dept. No surprise, but the operative I spoke with didn't seem to know either, although did confirm they do fit them !?! His only sensible suggestion was that it gave the keel of the RIB more clearance over the axle.

When my RIB is secure in the trailer there's currently 90mm between keel and axle. However, I don't know how close it gets when being winched on. Currently, there's also no keel roller between the aft swing arm and the for'd set of rollers i.e. I suppose it's possible the bow could dip down and twat the axle as its being winched on / floated off. I'll will definitely remedy this with a keel roller (ordered up already) on the axle for protection even if it doesn't offer any support. Now thinking the spacer bars are gonna stay as well ! After all it works well as is. Still puzzled though !!!
Old 20 January 2016, 19:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Better if there's a slight "run-down" to the stern so as the boat drains when it's attached to the car but generally you can achieve this by adjusting rollers on the trailer.

I think I have a slight stern trim on the trailer when coupled up although never given it much thought. Obviously when sitting on the jockey wheel then yes. Must pay more attention !
Old 09 February 2016, 21:37   #14

Town: Altrincham
Length: 5m +
Trailer axle mounting

It's to do with type approval. The regs have a set height for the hitch and a max angle of the drawbar from that point. I.e it has to be pretty close to horizontal. We fit the 'packer' to meet this criteria. Please come direct to me for any further info. Cheers Jeremy (Indespension Marine Sales Manager - 07825 507471 - marine@indespension.co.uk)
Old 10 February 2016, 09:49   #15

Cheers Jeremy. I played it safe in the end and fitted it back in anyway with the new axle. I like the fact it gives a little more 'under keel clearance' to the unprotected axle beam when launching and recovering. Having said that, I'm fitting some 200mm keel rollers to the axle beam and fwd crossmember for protection only. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for reply.