Old 16 December 2015, 04:19   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25
Trailer advice please

Hi all,

I currently have an Aerotec 380 with a 25hp 2 stroke which I would like to put on a trailer, but in the future I will be looking for a rib up to 5m.
With that in mind can anyone recommend a trailer that will be ok for the Aerotec but will be also capable of towing a rib.

Cheers, Steve.

Old 16 December 2015, 04:57   #2

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Chalk and cheese and requires very different trailers.

I think you will end up with 2 trailers for a 3.8 and 5m boat.

Getting a 5m RIB off the trailer would probably get old quick too.

Old 16 December 2015, 05:28   #3

Being more exact with my requirements if I decided the rib would be an SR4 would that still be the case, requiring two different trailers?

I did wonder if that would be the case and would expect a bit of a compromise but if it's a non starter then I will have a rethink.
Thanks
Old 16 December 2015, 05:46   #4

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
I have no experience with that setup but I'm firmly of the opinion if you want to put a sib on a trailer then you are better selling it and get a RIB. I can't for life if me figure out why have the convienience of a sib and then instantly give it the drawback of a RIB......just buy the RIB!

I assume you are wondering if you should upgrade the 380 hence the sort of dip toes in water approach?

In theory, a 380 and sr4 could be put on the same trailer, don't see a big hassle making it work with both. I would think carefully about why you would want to though.

Keep in mind if it is a 5m boat it won't exactly be light to man handle off the trailer, entirely possible though for sure.
Old 16 December 2015, 05:52   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
I've got an Indespension JS05 roller trailer for my SR4. Perfect fit and really easy to get the boat on and off singlehanded.

My teenager and his mate have an Avon RAB315 roller floor SIB which they wanted to take to Cornwall.

I med up some bunks using 2"x4" with carpet nailed on which were each bolted to two blocks that slotted into the gaps between the rollers.

Dual purpose trailer!
Old 16 December 2015, 11:07   #6

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Only you know your exact circumstance & needs Steve but I'd be inclined to use the Aerotec as-is for now and put any possible trailer funds towards an SR4 purchase (as a complete package with trailer) sooner rather than later.

Like Dubrus I think once you want to put an Aerotec on a trailer it's saying you have the wrong boat and best to move on... portability is 50% of the Aerotec appeal really.

Of course it's different for others, like perhaps Gurnard and Jeff S, who have their SIBs fitted out in expedition style when a trailer becomes a must.
Old 16 December 2015, 11:53   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Hi Steve

With the boys on this but as an idea I saw on YouTube two sibs being loaded onto a double deck trailer basically like a car transporter don't know if you want to take both boats together with the aerotec on top
You could also use a bunk trailer for the sr4 not as easy to launch but you could set it up with rear of the bunks dropping through jockey wheel clamps so it's on the keel rollers and easer to push off at the stern but you would still need a dolly to push the rib onto at home.
Just some food for thought.
Cheers
Old 16 December 2015, 14:26   #8

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Fairly straight forward.
Buy a roller trailer to suit the rib, if you're under 5mtrs an "unbraked" should do. Take the rollers off and leave them in the garage. Fit a couple of bunks in the mean time.
But as everyone else says, probably best to make do without the trailer for the SIB just now and wait to see what comes with the RIB when you get round to buying it.
All buying a new trailer is going to do is make a hole in the budget for the RIB you know you want..
Old 16 December 2015, 15:15   #9

Dubrus you are right in that it is a bit of a dip in the toes to see if i get on with a trailer then if so go for a rib.
For now though I mainly launch from a beach without a 4x4 and can manhandle this set up.
So for now i suppose to answer your question i want the convenience of not having to dismantle every time (but can at any time) but also the option to beach launch or use the slip without the extra cost of running a second car 4x4. But you may be proved right and the convenience of not having to dismantle may be outweighed by the inconvenience of using the trailer?

Ideally id have an SR4 or 4.7 with a 4x4 that i can use off the beach and this would do me 90% of the time. I would hold onto the sib and probably use it on holidays, family, friends etc.. Also im aware several boaters have for whatever reason gone full circle and gone from sib to rib and back to sib.

I also fancy a bit of a project and most project boats that ive seen come with shot trailers and im thinking if ive got a decent trailer then if the right boat comes up then ive got some options.

Searider thats exactly what i was thinking of and good to know its doable. I thought it would be no problem but nice to know its already been done and on what trailer.

Cheers
Old 16 December 2015, 15:26   #10

Last Tango, you posted as i was writing.

I wasn't very clear with my full intentions in my original post but to be fair I only asked if anyone knew if one trailer could do both and it now been answered thanks.