Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
I've no plans to beach launch using the trailer until I can get a 4x4. Trying to convince the other half she needs a 4x4 instead of her Nissan note but she is having none of it. I've a company car with no option for 4x4. So slipways for now. The slipway may be the best option long term for me anyway.

Even with a 4x4 I wouldn't beach launch, it's a whole world of hurt just waiting for the unwary😳
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 18:22   #22

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
To be honest ive thought of beach launching as thats where i launch my sib and loads of small boats launch from there but ive found a boat club on the river Blyth who have a slipway and the fees are modest for the year so this may be my best bet with secure parking for car etc.. Im going to check it out and see if it suits.
Old 20 December 2015, 18:30   #23

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I have beach launched for years never had a problem but I do work in the marine industry lots of beach work, you just have to be sensible walk the route,local knowledge ,high water launch, sand the worst especially with water movement around the wheels, slipways best if not sure but they can be a nightmare with algae. I have a 4x4 very capable but there are times when I use a rope keeping the vehicle on solid clean dry land.
Old 21 December 2015, 08:24   #24

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
the biggest risk you have is digging in, 4x4 has that same risk but ofcourse easier to get out of it potentially.

to beach launch an sr4 i don't think would be a big deal with a car (depending on the beach ofcourse!), just change the jockey wheel to a big inflatable type and tie a rope to the towball whilst leaving the car somewhere away from soft sand, push the boat in would work 99% of the time i'm sure.

check this out for beach launch minus car, looks like maybe a 5.2m boat i guess at a quick glance-

I'd suggest its a lot less likely a 4x4 will 'dig in' compared to a single driven axled vehicle, then you take a 4x4 with appropriate tyres and many have traction enhancements then it would be in a different league to a car on a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I have beach launched for years never had a problem but I do work in the marine industry lots of beach work, you just have to be sensible walk the route,local knowledge ,high water launch, sand the worst especially with water movement around the wheels, slipways best if not sure but they can be a nightmare with algae. I have a 4x4 very capable but there are times when I use a rope keeping the vehicle on solid clean dry land.
100% right
I run 4x4's but not afraid to use a rope to keep the truck out of potential issues, soft dry sand can be fun , theres a local sailing / boating club at the back of the Island and I’ve watched there 3 club tractors and a landy, all tied together trying to get off the beach, very entertaining lol ( they all lived to tow another day!)
Whatever you drive, if your struggling on a beach, let your tyre pressures down, makes a huge difference
Old 17 January 2016, 16:38   #25

I went for an indespension micro roller trailer in the end which I converted to bunks, moving a pair of rollers to the rear to aid launching. I went out this morning just for a quick trail. It was nippy at -1.5 but I was keen to test things out. Was fine when out but noticed splashes of water had turned to ice when I returned to the slipway. I know it's just a light sib but there is a bit of weight there with a 25hp on the back and on the incline of a slipway but have to say the trailer setup made it very easy with the rear roller taking the sib off the bump is with ease.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453051407.987040.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	110391

I'm usually on around 25 - 30 mins setting up with a hp pump and today it took me around 10 mins from getting to the slip into my gear and on the the water so a plus there, same when landing.

First time trailering sib and all went ok but probably went ott with straps. Going to sort so not strapping over tubes and lower mudguards as tubes are just resting on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453051865.323780.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	110394

Also, do I have to use a prop bag even if my lighting board extends past the prop?

Cheers , Steve
Old 17 January 2016, 18:12   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Also, do I have to use a prop bag even if my lighting board extends past the prop?
No - you only have to clearly mark "overhangs".
Old 17 January 2016, 18:25   #27

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Personally i would be wary of strapping over tubes. Tubes will bounce allowing movement, as temperature changes tube pressure will change, colder = softer. Pump up on the water in the sunshine all ok, put the boat on the trailer , sun sets boat gets cooler, tubes softer, straps looser.

I always strap from the transom and the bow eye/handle, but that's just me.
Old 17 January 2016, 18:51   #28

Cheers Poly, I thought that was the case but not 100% sure.

Starovich I agree and plan not to go over the tubes for future trips. I've ordered some eyes for the transom.
Old 18 January 2016, 08:27   #29

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
steve

poly's right but i allways cover prying eyes and all that.
another tip if you struggle to get the boat hitched secure the bow rope to the trailer take off the winch attach to the car & pull up.

cheers
Old 18 January 2016, 09:22   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Hi Steve,

Looks like the same trailer I have - Indespension Jet Ski Trailer (JS05 IIRC).

You've attached the bunks differently to me but looks like you've achieved the same result.

Glad it worked out :-)
Old 18 January 2016, 10:33   #31

I know what you mean Jeff, I'll probably get a cover at some point.

Searider, I think it is the same trailer. I bought it as yourself and Nick use one for sr4 which is my plan. Cheers.