Old 25 July 2014, 11:01   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Kingfisher
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 150
Yes, Ben. 36mm flange nut. I borrowed a 36mm socket and it came off fine.

Nothing looks disastrous inside (see pics), but I'm (clearly) not an expert... I just feared there'd be melted grease splattered everywhere.

I slackened the brakes slightly and all the wheels are now spinning pretty freely and the brakes work when I pull the cable. So, feeling a bit more relaxed about a long tow tomorrow (famous last words!).

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140725_123340 (Medium).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	97100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140725_125053 (Medium).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	97101  

Old 25 July 2014, 16:09   #12

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Looks like your seal has a nick in it. If you need to replace it you will need a pair of snap ring pliers. I would recommend buying a pair that does both inside and outside with the right size of tips. Spray the area with WD40 or the like and soak it. If the snap ring comes right out then great. If not, then use a hammer and punch to gently try to free the snap ring. Set the new seal in using a socket or the like that fits right to the edge of seal. Put grease thick into the spring area on the inside of the seal to keep the spring from popping off.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal nick.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	97117  

Old 07 August 2014, 01:52   #13

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: The Micky
Make: Allpa 390
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25
I'm surprised you managed to get so far with the handbrake on. Do you have an exceptionally powerful car? If not, the handbrake on your trailer needs serious attention, or the brakes are shot.

The last time I tried to pull an EMPTY trailer with the handbrake on, it was immediately obvious. It was dragging 4 locked wheels along the road and my car was making a lot of noise and not going anywhere very fast! The same trailer also held itself, a 1000kg load and my attached 1800kg car stationary on a hill with its own handbrake...
Old 07 August 2014, 03:18   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Looks like your seal has a nick in it. If you need to replace it you will need a pair of snap ring pliers. I would recommend buying a pair that does both inside and outside with the right size of tips. Spray the area with WD40 or the like and soak it. If the snap ring comes right out then great. If not, then use a hammer and punch to gently try to free the snap ring. Set the new seal in using a socket or the like that fits right to the edge of seal. Put grease thick into the spring area on the inside of the seal to keep the spring from popping off.

We always put the bearings in the fridge and leave the casting in the sun, improves the tolerances for fitting. Does that circlip look right, if it's an internal one in a grove how are you going to compress it to get it out?