Click Here to Login

Old 16 March 2011, 08:23   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Towing With a Fabia.... Could Be Fun

Just bought myself a 5.4 Tornado RIB, and will hopefully be picking it up after the engine being serviced today. Its only done 20 hours, and has sat in a shed for 3 years, spotless boat, cant wait!

Only catch is that i drive a skoda fabia 1.9TDI. I reckon i'll pull the boat no bother - but stopping could be an issue, and also launching and recovering. Will have to get the hang of lowering the trailer down the beach on a bit of rope round the tow bar! Could be interesting. Will let you know if i get stuck!

Simon
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 09:38   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As the quick look on Autocar sauys it's around the 1190 Kg mark, you wil llikely need a braked trailer for that.

Check the logbook - it will tell you the max towing weight. I will guess around 500 KG unbraked, but the book of words will tell you definitively. As for stopping, you need to be a bit more predictive in your driving style, but with a braked trailer it shouldn't be much worse than a fully loaded car.

As for launch & recovery - I recover with a Focus, and there's another memeber on here plucks his Ribcraft 5.3 out with a Vectra 1.9, so unless you launch on sand or a 45 degree slip......
Old 16 March 2011, 20:24   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Fabia should be a good towing car, engine weighs a ton and should keep good traction on front wheels. I have the VRS version and would loved to have towed our old RIB with it, but Skoda did not type approve for it, so even though it had better brakes and more umph, it wold have been illegal
Old 16 March 2011, 20:33   #4

its the vrs i've got mate.... How do you mean its illegal?! Towed the boat for the first time today, looked a bit rediculous, but towed it fine!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 16 March 2011, 20:38   #5

If you look in the handbook, there are no declared towing weights for the vRS version. Skoda never had this model assessed/rated. You may get away with it, but I have know owners pulled over by police, given fine and not allowed to move off again with trailer still attached.
Lots of feedback on VRS owners site
Old 16 March 2011, 21:10   #6

Gawd - I didn't realise that! If the 1.4 petrol version can tow up to 1000kg, I saw no reason why the vrs couldn't! Surely you would have to be pretty unlucky to get pulled over by a cop who knew that!?
Old 16 March 2011, 21:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Gawd - I didn't realise that! If the 1.4 petrol version can tow up to 1000kg, I saw no reason why the vrs couldn't! Surely you would have to be pretty unlucky to get pulled over by a cop who knew that!?
The number plate data base they use would show this, if they bothered to look. As the film said "do you feel lucky"?

Good luck, its a great little car, especially if you have it tweeked a little
Old 16 March 2011, 21:38   #8

lol yeah i love the car.... i had a civic type R before, but the skoda costs half on fuel, insurance and road tax - saves me a ton of cash! Still get over 30MPG when towing the boat! looking at 4x4's like the hyundai santa fe. would miss the skoda though! wonder if the santa fe, with a Re-map would have any poke!? doubt it!
Old 17 March 2011, 10:39   #9

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I have a 1.9 TDi Passat 4 motion. The 4 wheel drive system saps power from the engine (130bhp version) but never even hesitates pulling my 5.8metre rib up slimy slipways.

The engine has plenty of torque for towing but fuel economy suffers from normal 45mpg down to 30mpg.

My trailer is single axle and has new brakes. Originally it had no brakes and a knackered shock absorber on the hitch and was a nightmare to tow. That experience only lasted 1 journey before I overhauled the trailer and replaced axles and brakes!

Obviously trailer brakes rust and sieze - basic advice - never leave handbrake on, jack up over winter, keep the wheel, axles and hubs well painted, fit flush kits to the brake drums and use them each time you recover the boat!
Old 17 March 2011, 23:58   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
lol yeah i love the car.... i had a civic type R before, but the skoda costs half on fuel, insurance and road tax - saves me a ton of cash! Still get over 30MPG when towing the boat! looking at 4x4's like the hyundai santa fe. would miss the skoda though! wonder if the santa fe, with a Re-map would have any poke!? doubt it!
I've had a 2.7 V6 & now 2.2td santa fe. the V6 does go a bit but the td auto is the one to have not 'fast'... but cruises fine on the mway still doing 40+mpg . 7 seat has self leveling suspension for towing.....

Agree with the legal towing thing....i have seen cases where insurers not paid out when towing & involved in an accident .....really not what you want .....especailly with the boat involved..
Old 18 March 2011, 18:45   #11

good point mate, never thought about insurance.... reckon ill go do some test driving tomoro!