Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Stop worrying!!!

I towed my boat on a CLH trailer and it's perfectly legal - the Police boats are the same size on the same trailers!!!

My overall legth was about the same as an artic.........
Police never prosecute themselves though! Over a cetain lenght I 'think' you need extra signs ( long vehicle & warning triangles) - load of old bollocks if you ask me !

I'll stick with my theory if it look OK you generally get away with it & I'll have to pay the fine/ cost if I ever get stopped .
Old 02 January 2009, 14:16   #42

Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 225
I might be a bit stupid admitting this on the forum but I am a diver with the Police - I will dig out the traffic books next week and get some definitive answers from you.

Regarding the speed rule though - yes vans have a lower national speed limit and yes we will stop you and deal with it if we spot it.

Regarding the boat towing - it is a little complicated and I will have to get back to you but we have a 8.5m rib with twin 250hp and legally we can tow it behind a disco. We tried this and rolled it so I think there might be a difference in what legally you can tow and what you should tow. The 85% guildline is a good stating point for higher speed work.

Mike
Old 02 January 2009, 15:49   #43

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What sort of trailer was it on? I find a CLH with 3 axles is incredibly stable but weight distribution can make a hell of a difference.

Not only that but front tyres on the towing vehicle. I towed a car trailer to Oxford and it was a nightmare. The Disco was following all the ruts on the M4 and felt really twitchy. I thought it was down to the trailer. I did have one scary moment but got it back under control.

My front tyres were perfectly legal but I replaced them and the problem vanished - must have had a strange wear pattern!!!
Old 05 January 2009, 20:25   #44

Town: northampton
Boat name: spud
Make: cobra nautique
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
only just read this thread

regarding van speed limits, i have been driving vans for about 10 years now and never had a problem with speed limits. but last year my buisness partner who drives a transit pickup got flashed by a gatso and was fined for doing 55 in a 60 zone, next day he went through same camera in my transit panel van doing 55 and camera didnt flash. his pickup was loaded with steel at said time so as far as we can gather its done on weight because when we queeried the ticket we were told the transit pickup was classed as heavy goods now?????? wot a load of bull and they only tell you they changed the law when you get a ticket.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:20   #45

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
How does a gatso weigh you???
Old 06 January 2009, 13:27   #46
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD18 View Post
regarding van speed limits, i have been driving vans for about 10 years now and never had a problem with speed limits. but last year my buisness partner who drives a transit pickup got flashed by a gatso and was fined for doing 55 in a 60 zone, next day he went through same camera in my transit panel van doing 55 and camera didnt flash. his pickup was loaded with steel at said time so as far as we can gather its done on weight because when we queeried the ticket we were told the transit pickup was classed as heavy goods now?????? wot a load of bull and they only tell you they changed the law when you get a ticket.
1) they haven't changed the law.

2) They don't weigh your vehicle-they just check if it's over a certain axle weight to work out if it's an HGV or not. They use all sorts of tactics-sometimes pointing the detector up high so it doesn't detect cars, sometimes using an induction loop in the road.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 13:30   #47
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post

Regarding the boat towing - it is a little complicated and I will have to get back to you but we have a 8.5m rib with twin 250hp and legally we can tow it behind a disco. We tried this and rolled it so I think there might be a difference in what legally you can tow and what you should tow. The 85% guildline is a good stating point for higher speed work.

Mike
If it was a single vehicle accident wth no extenuating circumstances (blowout, debris etc) then it's far more likely your driver didn't know what he was doing when towing.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 17:27   #48

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
How does a gatso weigh you???
It doesn't weigh you, it's number plate recognition technology. It cross referances your vehical details with the speed limit and nobbles you accordingly

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 19:03   #49

Town: northampton
Boat name: spud
Make: cobra nautique
Engine: 225 optimax
another question for you all regarding vans, my transit panel van has same carrying capacity as our pickup. so why didnt my van set off gatso and the pickup did doing the same speed ?
Old 06 January 2009, 20:00   #50

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD18 View Post
another question for you all regarding vans, my transit panel van has same carrying capacity as our pickup. so why didnt my van set off gatso and the pickup did doing the same speed ?
Aren't vans rated on something other than carrying capacity - like axle weight etc or something or gross vehcile weight ? IS that why - a loaded transit is heavier than a loaded pickup ?