Old 15 July 2009, 11:21   #21

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 83hp jet drive
landrover - nooooo!

Personally i wouldn't touch an old defender, they leak like hell and are badly put together - not a good combination for sea water!

why not try something smaller? a 3.0 is a luxury perhaps you don't need. i just bought an audi a4 estate with tow bar for £900. its a torquey 1.9l diesel which coped well with my first launch last week. i even came of the ramp onto the sand/mud by mistake with no issues.

you can get smaller 4x4's for around 5-700 , such as a grand vitara.

ben
Old 15 July 2009, 11:59   #22

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencymru View Post
Personally i wouldn't touch an old defender, they leak like hell and are badly put together - not a good combination for sea water!

ben
Why ever not?? you want the wheels to stay on the slipway, you don't want the bloody thing to float away, thats what the rib is for! the holes in the defender floor are designed to let water in and out, bit like a searider flooding hull

Suzuki vitara towing capacity is only 1200kgs.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:19   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:

why not try something smaller? a 3.0 is a luxury perhaps you don't need. i just bought an audi a4 estate with tow bar for £900. its a torquey 1.9l diesel which coped well with my first launch last week. i even came of the ramp onto the sand/mud by mistake with no issues.

you can get smaller 4x4's for around 5-700 , such as a grand vitara.

ben
I suspect that the leaky old Defender will last a lot longer than your Audi!!!

The local cockle pickers all started buying Toyotas and Mitsubishis back in the 90s - they soon swapped back to Land Rovers - now they ALL have them.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:20   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Why ever not?? you want the wheels to stay on the slipway, you don't want the bloody thing to float away, thats what the rib is for! the holes in the defender floor are designed to let water in and out, bit like a searider flooding hull

Suzuki vitara towing capacity is only 1200kgs.
Good point - not many vehicles you can pressure wash - inside and out!!!
Old 15 July 2009, 14:09   #25

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 83hp jet drive
just my opinion

just my opinion, formed having valeted them extensivley. I've seen many examples of corrosion caused by seawater. Some owners think because its landrover, it'll be ok.

My audi has full service history and is in v good condition. this will see 200-300k miles if looked after and kept out of the water. audi vs landrover? i'd go audi every time.

I'm not knocking landrover, i had a disco myself for many years and loved it, i'm just expressing an opinion on the suitability of an old defender ( 500 quids worth ) for launching boats.

ben
Old 15 July 2009, 18:41   #26

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
just my opinion, formed having valeted them extensivley. I've seen many examples of corrosion caused by seawater. Some owners think because its landrover, it'll be ok.

My audi has full service history and is in v good condition. this will see 200-300k miles if looked after and kept out of the water. audi vs landrover? i'd go audi every time.

I'm not knocking landrover, i had a disco myself for many years and loved it, i'm just expressing an opinion on the suitability of an old defender ( 500 quids worth ) for launching boats.

ben
there arent any £500 defenders that arent scrap! you will get a disco though, but at that price its likely to be very ropey.
landrovers sure do rot, but examples that are looked after fair much better than jap 4x4s seen any 1980s landcruisers recently???? thought not