Old 21 June 2018, 16:15   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Towing size restrictions

Hi all,

There's loads and loads of info on this forum about towing weight restrictions, but I'm struggling to find anything about length and width restrictions.

I've seen some websites saying you can tow up to 7m length - but this can't be right as I can see trailer manufactures making trailers for longer boats.

I've also seen mention of width restriction of 2.5m, but again, I see boat manufactures making 2.6m Ribs.

What's the simple truth on this? I've just sold my 5.5m rib and thinking about a 7.5m, but must be able to trail it as I like to visit different places.
Old 21 June 2018, 16:35   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Max width with allowable overhang is 2.9m
Length isnt quite so simple as certain areas are a bit grey but in general by the time a boat gets to an illegal length is usually overweight or width
The rya provide a decent factsheet about trailering and roof racking boats as they carry certain exemptions that other trailers dont.
Search google for "trailering and roofracking rules and regulations" it should pop up for you
Old 21 June 2018, 17:27   #3

Couple of things you may not have thought about, 7.5m is proper 4x4 territory, 4 wheel trailers, worrying about width when driving etc.

My 6.8 is 2.9m wide and over 8m long on the trailer. I do miss the ease of a single axle trailer, smaller car etc. I have 2 cars now because of the above, I have a 4x4 purely to move the boat as I commute 70 miles a day.

If I was buying now I would seriously consider a 6.5m as that will go on a 2 wheel trailer, "normal" car will tow it, storage is usually much less under 6.5m etc.

A bigger boat is certainly good if you are prepared to accept the above, will never do you wrong when rough and will be a massive upgrade on a 5.5, but do will a 6.5 or so.
Old 21 June 2018, 17:55   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The 7mtr length limit is for the trailer, excluding the drawbar, it's not the length of the load. The load can overhang a considerable distance at the rear and 305mm each side. The rear overhang has various rules depending on its length of overhang. You may or may not need to mark it.

The drawbar on a boat trailer is often non-existent so this will limit your towing length. A clever person will choose a trailer with a long drawbar as part of its structure.
Old 21 June 2018, 18:07   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I have posted this before ....

This is the link to the official government guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...of-the-trailer

<<<. Exceptionally, where the trailer is specially designed to carry long loads (eg one or more boats, gliders), the 7m limit does not apply.>>>

As the government site says in plain English...boat trailers are explicitly excluded from the length restriction, nothing to do with overhangs as far as length is concerned. There are width restrictions and they are easy to find and work out. ;-)
Old 21 June 2018, 18:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Max width with allowable overhang is 2.9m
Length isnt quite so simple as certain areas are a bit grey but in general by the time a boat gets to an illegal length is usually overweight or width
The rya provide a decent factsheet about trailering and roof racking boats as they carry certain exemptions that other trailers dont.
Search google for "trailering and roofracking rules and regulations" it should pop up for you
Thanks Beamishken - that's very useful. As you say, 2.9m width and the length will come down to overall car+boat or weight.

Obviously the people saying 7m max are looking at trailer and not considering the allowable rear-overhang.
Old 21 June 2018, 18:47   #7

Thanks
Old 21 June 2018, 18:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Couple of things you may not have thought about, 7.5m is proper 4x4 territory, 4 wheel trailers, worrying about width when driving etc.

My 6.8 is 2.9m wide and over 8m long on the trailer. I do miss the ease of a single axle trailer, smaller car etc. I have 2 cars now because of the above, I have a 4x4 purely to move the boat as I commute 70 miles a day.

If I was buying now I would seriously consider a 6.5m as that will go on a 2 wheel trailer, "normal" car will tow it, storage is usually much less under 6.5m etc.

A bigger boat is certainly good if you are prepared to accept the above, will never do you wrong when rough and will be a massive upgrade on a 5.5, but do will a 6.5 or so.
Thanks, yes, very aware of this (I have a big 4x4, 3.5Tonne towing capability). My 5.5 was 7m on the trailer (probably too big a trailer).

I've also found that some 6.8's come within the weight limit of a single axle trailer, so will be considering that when looking. I'm considering anything from 6.8-7.5.

I've heard a lot of people say that going to a twin axle makes life much harder but, really? Apart from the extra 1m I will probably have (and obviously the extra weight of a bigger boat), why will a twin be that much harder to deal with?
Old 21 June 2018, 18:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallydave View Post
Thanks Beamishken - that's very useful. As you say, 2.9m width and the length will come down to overall car+boat or weight.

Obviously the people saying 7m max are looking at trailer and not considering the allowable rear-overhang.
It's nothing to do with overhangs as far as length is concerned.
The 7 meter restriction does not apply to boat trailers.

To quote HM government...

"Exceptionally, where the trailer is specially designed to carry long loads (eg one or more boats, gliders), the 7m limit does not apply."
Old 21 June 2018, 19:10   #10

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It's a bit of a confusing minefield but the glider fraternity seem to be up to speed with it.

If your trailer is constructed for the purpose of towing a long indivisible load e.g. a boat, then the maximum length of the towing vehicle shouldn't exceed 9.2m and the overall length of the combination of vehicle and load should not be greater than 25.9m.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/wp-con...3/Trailers.pdf
Old 21 June 2018, 19:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
It's nothing to do with overhangs as far as length is concerned.
The 7 meter restriction does not apply to boat trailers.

To quote HM government...

"Exceptionally, where the trailer is specially designed to carry long loads (eg one or more boats, gliders), the 7m limit does not apply."
Old 21 June 2018, 19:59   #12

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Personally not sure I've really found many twin axle trailers to be worse than a single, with the sole exception that you can't easily pivot them by hand. At speed they tow much better, have less ground pressure so get stuck in mud/sand less, and are less dependant on load balance.
Old 21 June 2018, 20:05   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600 View Post
Personally not sure I've really found many twin axle trailers to be worse than a single, with the sole exception that you can't easily pivot them by hand. At speed they tow much better, have less ground pressure so get stuck in mud/sand less, and are less dependant on load balance.

+1 I wouldn't have anything else but a twin axle. My current boat, 5.45m was too small for an "off the shelf" twin axle, so I had one custom built.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 20:43   #14

I hate my twin for moving it but no complaints towing it. I actually bought a mover to get it in and out of my storage and it has been worth every penny. If I had plenty of room the twin wouldn't bother me as much. I've read about putting jockey up and down to get onto a single axle, doesnt work on my rig, ymmv.

If I could I would have a single back but not possible with my boat. My current boat did have a single under it for about 18 months and now has a twin so I've towed the same boat with both, as long as ball weight is good nowt wrong with a single and don't notice much difference towing really.

Anyways, there are definitely pros to a bigger boat on the water so needs must

FYI a ribcraft 6.8 if lightly built may go on a single axle, mines with 8 seats is circa 2100kg, I haven't been back to the weight bridge with the new trailer but it was just under 2k with a single axle so less seats, poverty spec hypalon or smaller tank etc may get you onto a 1900kg extreme trailer, be tight though I suspect. The ribcraft 6.8 is a big boat compared to a ribeye 650 for example when you see them side by side and is roughly 400kg heavier.
Old 21 June 2018, 20:51   #15

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Had my current boat on a single, it's now on a twin. Feels a lot more stable to tow, peace of mind has gone up massively as there is now some redundancy in the whole thing if I loose a bearing or get a puncture. Maintenance is double, but it's not a great deal of extra time and who doesn't like tinkering [emoji1][emoji106]
Old 21 June 2018, 21:27   #16

I think the weight is more of an issue.

Keeping the outfit below 2 tons leaves a much wider choice when it comes to towing vehicles. eg. even a Mondeo sized saloon will tow a 6.5 mtr boat. 1800/1900kg is more or less the limit for a single axle. Going over that means two axles and a step increase in weight. 7 mtr is going to push the outfit over two tons and over the limit for most of the smaller/medium SUVs.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I actually bought a mover to get it in and out of my storage and it has been worth every penny.
What mover did you buy? I did have a quick look at the Purpleline e-go plug&play (removable version of a standard caravan style mover)
Old 22 June 2018, 06:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1 I wouldn't have anything else but a twin axle. My current boat, 5.45m was too small for an "off the shelf" twin axle, so I had one custom built.
Thanks all, I now get a better picture - it's about local manoeuvrability, which is important as I store in a caravan park.
Old 22 June 2018, 08:09   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallydave View Post
Thanks all, I now get a better picture - it's about local manoeuvrability, which is important as I store in a caravan park.

Practise your reversing[emoji6] A twin axle trailer is easier to reverse than a single.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 08:18   #20

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Practise your reversing[emoji6] A twin axle trailer is easier to reverse than a single.
I wouldnt compromise the size of boat just to make towing easier.
Im personally not a great lover of twin axle trailers but if the boat needs one then im happy to use one, I'd rather have a competent 2 axle than a marginal single.
I had a 6.5m then moved onto a 7.4 and the difference is night and day in the water and not a huge difference on the road, wouldnt want to go back