Old 22 March 2011, 06:08   #1

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
towing law?

On the way back from a day on the rib we often stop off for a pint or two, at this point my good lady will sometimes drive back, she passed her test after jan 97 and has not got the trailer test, i read somewhere that there is an exemption and that she can tow as long as the weight is less that half of the weight of the car? I tow with an E320cdi estate and the rib is a ribcraft 5.8 with 115opti, i do not have a local weighbridge so cannot weight the car or trailer, but obviously want to make sure she is legal, over to you ribnet?

Old 22 March 2011, 06:11   #2

Town: Tenby
Boat name: Dash Duck
Make: BWM
Engine: Twin 60's
she is only allowed to tow an unbraked trailer upto 750kg, without sitting a trailer towing test. I assume your trailer is braked and she cannot legally tow it even if it were empty.

Im in the same situation as her and having to do the test.

Old 22 March 2011, 06:18   #3

but?

Exemption

A post '97 licence holder can however tow a trailer with a gross weight of around 1500kgs, providing the towing vehicle and trailor are carefully matched. If this matching is not done correctly, it will fail to comply with the exemption, resulting in the driver being unlicensed and uninsured. In a court of law this could carry a maximum of 9 penalty points and £1000 fine and in some cases even a ban.

source:
http://www.operator-safety-training....owing_44_2.asp
Old 22 March 2011, 07:18   #4

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Quote:
A post '97 licence holder can however tow a trailer with a gross weight of around 1500kgs, providing the towing vehicle and trailor are carefully matched.
I think this is the passage in the regs you are referring to.

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

•a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

•the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
•Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

Keith
Old 22 March 2011, 07:40   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post
On the way back from a day on the rib we often stop off for a pint or two, at this point my good lady will sometimes drive back, she passed her test after jan 97 and has not got the trailer test, i read somewhere that there is an exemption and that she can tow as long as the weight is less that half of the weight of the car? I tow with an E320cdi estate and the rib is a ribcraft 5.8 with 115opti, i do not have a local weighbridge so cannot weight the car or trailer, but obviously want to make sure she is legal, over to you ribnet?
Same as my wife ,she only passed her normal car test 2005 so can only drive with a trailer up to 750 kgs unbraked,,but ,,

Any unbraked trailer must weigh less than half the weight of the towing car/vehicle
,eg car weight 1000kgs so an unbraked trailer can weigh 500kgs,
car weight 1500kgs so an unbraked trailer can weigh 750kgs,

also any unbraked trailer must have the gross weight of that trailer marked on the nearside draw bar and be fitted with a safety chain.

Even with brakes fitted with some cars it used to to be only weight for weight ,,,,,,eg ,, car 1050kgs,,,trailer 1050kgs,,even though the towing weight of the car vin plate may be much more .
Old 22 March 2011, 08:29   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Same as my wife ,she only passed her normal car test 2005 so can only drive with a trailer up to 750 kgs unbraked,,but ,,

Any unbraked trailer must weigh less than half the weight of the towing car/vehicle
,eg car weight 1000kgs so an unbraked trailer can weigh 500kgs,
car weight 1500kgs so an unbraked trailer can weigh 750kgs,

also any unbraked trailer must have the gross weight of that trailer marked on the nearside draw bar and be fitted with a safety chain.

Even with brakes fitted with some cars it used to to be only weight for weight ,,,,,,eg ,, car 1050kgs,,,trailer 1050kgs,,even though the towing weight of the car vin plate may be much more .
she can tow with brakes in a very limited set of weight combinations as Kwil and Mark J say.
Old 22 March 2011, 08:39   #7

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
i have the same restrictions on my licence. i called the DVLA to double check what i thought as the consequences are severe should you not be legal.

the max car kerb weight (found on door pillar usually) and GVW of your trailer (this is the plated weight on your trailer chassis) can not exceed 3.5 tonnes.

the plated trailer GVW must also not exceed the unladen weight of the car.

that is my understanding of it and what the DVLA advised when i called to double check.

the actual weight of your entire rig at a weighbridge doesn't matter in this instance as the law use the plated weights. if your exceeding the plated GVW of your trailer then your breaking the law period no matter your licence.

cheers
Old 22 March 2011, 08:43   #8

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
according to google that merc you have is-

unladen- 1886kg
max kerb weight/GVW- 2460

you do not say which trailer your rib is sitting on but i assume it is plated crica 1100-1300KG, to be legal on the new style license the boat would have to be sitting on a trailer with a plated weight of 1040kg-not likely with a 5.8m i'd wager. otherwise you are exceeding the 3.5 tonne limit.

cheers
Old 22 March 2011, 09:07   #9

towing

So anyone know what a RC5.8 +opti weigh?
Old 22 March 2011, 09:10   #10

confusion

given the confusion, i'd wager that if stoped we'd be fine??