Old 13 April 2014, 14:28   #1

Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
Towing

Hi guys,

I have a 340 avon with a 25 on the back, when towing I can't help by find the engine bounces, what do people use to tie it down, I have tried ratcheting to trailer but seems to come un done.

Help would be appreciated
Old 13 April 2014, 18:28   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Where are the trailer wheels-axle set in relation to the boat ,if near the centre the overhang bounce will be more exaggerated causing the engine to bounce more ,
If you can moving the boat forward on the trailer or having the trailer wheels/ axle set more to the rear will help eliminate movement .
Old 14 April 2014, 13:03   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is it just sat on the tiddly little tilt lock?

Are you meaning the engine moving relative to the boat, or just generally bouncing up & down in harrmony with the boat?

See above for the latter. - and I would be very wary of lashing it direct engine to trailer - the boat & traier will move relative to each other - only a little, but enough to slacken any lashings - especuially if it boucnces like you are saying.

Also what are your tyre pressures? Think of your car - you would pump them up for a loaded journey & refduce the pressure for a "solo with no luggage". Same with the trailer tyres - the Max may not be the optimal.

if the engine is bouncing relative to the boat, you need to find a lump of wood and some woodcutting skills! What I did with my old Suz was found an old bit of 4X4 fence post, shaped one end to nestle nicely on the swivel bracket, the other end I drilled to take the tilt pin.

I then used 2 snap shackles and a 4:1 pulley with a cam cleat (a bit like a laser dinghy kiking strap) which I then clipped to the tilt pin, over the top of the leg (with a rag to stop the paint getting chewed) & pulled tight to stop it all moving.
Old 14 April 2014, 13:05   #4

Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Engine: Verado 150
Yeah just the engine, and it is yes! it does my head in! I will give that a go cheers mate, the ratchet worked until it slipped (poor quality ratchet strap I presume.
Old 14 April 2014, 13:41   #5

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude
Many years ago used to have a 11' C-Craft and then Avon S400 with Evinrude 25 with remotes (Oh what fun). On long journey would put the outboard on the back seat and put light luggage in the boat.
Once at the destination boat was set up and we only had two or three miles to trailer it so drove with outboard lashed as in above posts, never had any problems.
Just to make this interesting - when we got a tourer I would not be beat so made a trailer for the S400 that came apart, this could be assembled once on site- baffled quite a few people how I managed to tow the caravan and boat (happy days).