Old 10 September 2018, 15:54   #1

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
Tire Pressure Monitoring for Boat Trailers

Hi everyone. I really need to share this info with anyone trailering their rib longer distances.

I just found these amazing TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitors) which also record Tire Temperature!! They install inside you wheel just like on your car and communicate via blutooth to your cell phone to display and alert on conditions you choose such as temperature over a certain threshold or low tire pressure.

This is a game changer for me because I used to stop, pull over and shoot my hubs with an IR gun to make sure the bearing, brakes were all good. Now I just glance at the phone for peace of mind.

I have a 32ft trailer and I got the range extender / repeater which mounts on trailer and gives extended range from tires to cab or truck.

They have different types of sensors but I got the internal ones, cause you just get them mounted and never worry about them after that.

BLU Technology Products | Home
Old 10 September 2018, 19:04   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
I think I'd still stop and check with a IR gun - it's pretty much habit now.
Old 10 May 2019, 21:20   #3

Town: Otley
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140
IR Gun

Hi NCP

What are you checking with the IR gun .... is it the tyre temps or the wheel temps or are you going in close to the brake drum temps ?

Is there a " normal " operating temp .... or are you just looking for a general similarity in temps between one side and the other ?

cheers

Ian
Old 11 May 2019, 09:19   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post
Hi everyone. I really need to share this info with anyone trailering their rib longer distances.

I just found these amazing TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitors) which also record Tire Temperature!! They install inside you wheel just like on your car and communicate via blutooth to your cell phone to display and alert on conditions you choose such as temperature over a certain threshold or low tire pressure.

This is a game changer for me because I used to stop, pull over and shoot my hubs with an IR gun to make sure the bearing, brakes were all good. Now I just glance at the phone for peace of mind.

I have a 32ft trailer and I got the range extender / repeater which mounts on trailer and gives extended range from tires to cab or truck.

They have different types of sensors but I got the internal ones, cause you just get them mounted and never worry about them after that.

BLU Technology Products | Home
Google for Tiremoni - it does the same .
I have one installed since a couple of years and it works great .
You can set limits for temp & pressure and it will alarm you .
Was just towing from Easdale down to Southampton - works great
Old 11 May 2019, 12:39   #5
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Hi NCP

What are you checking with the IR gun .... is it the tyre temps or the wheel temps or are you going in close to the brake drum temps ?

Is there a " normal " operating temp .... or are you just looking for a general similarity in temps between one side and the other ?

cheers

Ian
I tend to look for consistency and any changes. Trailers are all different, people take the temp in different spots, etc.
Old 11 May 2019, 13:10   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
How people manage to convince themselves that this sort of thing is necessary is beyond me...……. Will work for a while and then pack up.

Just how did we manage before !
Old 11 May 2019, 13:28   #7

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
I do regular stops to check bearing temp but I had on my twin axle trailer 2 flat tires in the past which I did not noticed.
Some drivers gave me signs that I had a flat tire .
The TireMoni is for me not just "nice to have"
Old 11 May 2019, 18:10   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
How people manage to convince themselves that this sort of thing is necessary is beyond me...……. Will work for a while and then pack up.

You ever had a trailer blow out or lost wheel at any meaningful speed? That’s the sort of experience that make people obsessive to avoid. Some go twin axels to mitigate the effect, some check temps manually (anyone who has even touched a borked hub also knows to do it with wet fingers - like an iron!) and some will look for technological solutions. If I was regularly driving Southampton - Easdalae type distances with my trailer I’d probably be more paranoid too. If you only scoot a few miles on quiet roads to launch you can probably get away with totally borked bearings and not care.
Old 11 May 2019, 23:31   #9

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Here we go again out come the Trailer Obsessives..... Before long some puritan will start spouting the rules and regulations
Old 12 May 2019, 08:23   #10

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Quote:
Here we go again out come the Trailer Obsessives..... Before long some puritan will start spouting the rules and regulations
Whilst I am no fan of excessive gizmos I am a fan of those that have the attitude for safety. Running a ply tyre on low pressure (most will be 50 to 65 psi) will cook and blow in as little as an hour on a motorway).

Not obsessive more common sense to me. But then I carry a spare hub/bearings and 2 spare tyres and all the kit to replace on a run as not getting to my destination is not an option.
Old 12 May 2019, 08:54   #11

Length: 3m +
Quote:
There aren't any about tyre pressure monitoring.
Old 12 May 2019, 12:03   #12

Town: plymouth
Boat name: Rivvet
Make: Waveline
Engine: 20HP Tohatsu MFS20E
MMSI: 235916765
Quote:

All new cars have TPMS and are most guaranteed for at least 5 years - had mine for 7 so far and no issues.

Modern tech has a high degree of reliability - I work in RCM (reliability Centred maintenance) and it is generally accepted that items will fail in first 3 months of life and so covered by manufacturers support - if they don't then the MTBF (Mean Time between failures) is used to set maintenance interval. For most items this is measured in years or 10000 miles+.