Old 24 October 2011, 10:54   #1

Length: 7m +
Time to check your trailers

As im planning on doing some work on my Rib I decided to have a trailer service/check carried out as I haven't used my trailer for over a year, I am glad I had this done as all the brakes were shot including the brake lines. While its an expense when I hardly ever use the trailer I am glad I sorted it out as the implications of not sorting out could be extreme. I contacted 'trailerguy'.
Old 24 October 2011, 16:26   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I use my trailer year round, but at random intervals (anywhere from weekly to monthly), so it's *always* time to check it.

jky
Old 08 November 2011, 18:17   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Thank you for the mention Sir, it's much appreciated.

With kind regards, Ben
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 17:09   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Yes , just check the brakes on my trailer today & found them shot at , took them all to bits , give everything a good clean ready for putting back together at the weekend , just need to replace brake cables with new one,s
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 17:22   #5

Town: mansfield
Make: osprey
Engine: yam 130 v4
Handy tip guys , always kept an old pot of used engine oil and an old brush in my trailer repair kit and slap it on the rusty spots as soon as they appear .
Old 15 November 2011, 22:53   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Is there any merit in jacking the trailer up over winter so there's no pressure on the tyres? The boat is in a garage - so not in the elements. Heard or read somewhere you can get flat-spots on the tyres if it's left standing. I probably won't be venturing out again until next March/April.
Old 15 November 2011, 23:22   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Is there any merit in jacking the trailer up over winter so there's no pressure on the tyres? The boat is in a garage - so not in the elements. Heard or read somewhere you can get flat-spots on the tyres if it's left standing. I probably won't be venturing out again until next March/April.
You could do. I used to work as the local Land Rover dealer and a tech bulletin came out years ago about flat-spotting of certain tyres (Goodyears, IIRC) which were parked in the same place for long periods in hot climates - Middle East markets etc. The factory just puts about 60-70psi in the tyres which keeps them round so that's another option

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2011, 03:48   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Cold weather causes rubber to stiffen, so the flat spot stays put. Should even out after the tire friction warms things up. Only an issue if you trailer while it's still cold.

Haven't heard much else, at least with modern tire manufacturing. Then again, I live in a climate where boating year round is an option.

jky
Old 16 November 2011, 05:11   #9

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
All car manufacturers use transit pressures of 50/60 psi when vehicles are to be left standing a while or will be in transit a while on a ship, for instance. By 'a while', I mean greater than one month.

My work-based experience is that tyres, once flat spotted, never recover, and the warranty stats can be littered with claims if the transit pressures aren't set and then checked and maintained through the storage and/or transit process. It's not so much about the rubber taking a set - although this does happen temporarily - it's more about the tyre steel reinforcements taking a set.

Pump then up to 60psi and check monthly. Attach a tie-on label to the wheel or trailer hitch to remind you to lower them to the correct running pressure before you next go out
Old 16 November 2011, 10:53   #10

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 optimax
Doing a job on a friends trailer at the moment which has been neglected over the years. Braking system is completely redundant and backing plates are completely rotten and falling to pieces. He only uses it as a yard trailer so doesn't want/need a braked trailer.
Need to change all the bearings and a couple of the hubs.
Anyone see any problems with fitting new braked hubs (no brakes being fitted) but not replacing the backing plates??
Old 16 November 2011, 12:24   #11

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
None whatsoever, providing the backplates are out of the way and no gnarly bits are going to foul the new drums.

I've got a little 16' open bass fisher, which is on an unbraked roller trailer. I removed the standard unbraked hubs and fitted braked drums instead (obviously without and backplates etc), as this allowed me to fit really wide wheels (because the braked style drum is obviously much deeper than the unbraked type), so I can happily tow across sand and shingle with no fear of sinking.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2011, 15:25   #12

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 optimax
That confirms my thinking on it.
Cheers trailer guy!!
Old 16 November 2011, 19:44   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Pump then up to 60psi and check monthly. Attach a tie-on label to the wheel or trailer hitch to remind you to lower them to the correct running pressure before you next go out
Going to whip off the wheels anyway to replace the bearings and leave the trailer on jack-stands for the winter.