Old 30 July 2015, 09:37   #1

Town: York
Boat name: Rubber Johnny
Make: Avon Supersport 3.45
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2 stroke
Tie Down Ratchet Straps

Next week I'm trailing my little avon s3.45 from York to Southampton for a play on the Solent.

obviously towing on the M1 and so on is boring at best but i wanted to pick peoples brains on where/how you guys attach you tie downs.

i use the towing eye in the bow (there is no winch cos well, i dont need one) and the towing eyes in the transom direct to the trailer with ratchet straps. I don't put a strap over the rib tubes mainly because of the give they have and I don't want the boat to shift on the trailer. the boat sits tight up against the snubber so forward movement is impossible and the forward strap is at and angle so as to remove the chance of rearward movement.

the engine is chocked up on wood (to take stress of the engine bracket and there is no ptt) and the leg is ratchet strapped down compressing the wood slightly direct to the trailer so it cannot move in any direction.

is this how you do it? I just don't want a shifting load on a motorway.
Old 30 July 2015, 10:10   #2

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
I have the same RIB and do exactly as you do, although I do put a ratchet strap over the tubes (not tight) and use old towels where the straps rest on the tubes to stop them rubbing.
Old 30 July 2015, 10:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner View Post
I have the same RIB and do exactly as you do, although I do put a ratchet strap over the tubes (not tight) and use old towels where the straps rest on the tubes to stop them rubbing.
cool. it's only a light boat so it bouncing a bit is expected but just wanted to make sure the trailer and boat don't bounce independently. lol

oh, if you have the same rib, what tyre pressures do you run. my tyres are rated to about 50psi but that's just way too much so i tend to be at about 22-24psi as there is still a little give in the tyre.

what are your thoughts?
Old 30 July 2015, 10:24   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I use soft seat belt covers for going over the tubes, again, not tight. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eatbelt+covers
Old 30 July 2015, 14:23   #5

Town: Oakland CA
I used to do the same as described, with a strap over the tubes (not tight), to keep the boat from flipping backwards should the handle or strap or whatever fail. Could probably do the same with a line from a D-ring to the trailer (it would look better that way, too.)

jky
Old 30 July 2015, 15:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by il corvo View Post
cool. it's only a light boat so it bouncing a bit is expected but just wanted to make sure the trailer and boat don't bounce independently. lol

oh, if you have the same rib, what tyre pressures do you run. my tyres are rated to about 50psi but that's just way too much so i tend to be at about 22-24psi as there is still a little give in the tyre.

what are your thoughts?
I go on 30psi but not for any other reason than its easy to remember!! I do get a bit of uneven bouncing but I have two mis-matched suspension units which doesn't help!

Towing her from Bournemouth to Portsmouth Saturday for the SIB cruise around Portsmouth Canals so hopefully nothing falls off!
Old 30 July 2015, 18:32   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
i use the towing eye in the bow (there is no winch cos well, i dont need one) and the towing eyes in the transom direct to the trailer with ratchet straps.
is this how you do it? I just don't want a shifting load on a motorway.
All you need are the 3 ratchet straps you already have, 1 from the bow eye to trailer, running towards the rear of the trailer, this stops the boat running forwards if you brake hard. The 2 from the transom eyes to trailer need to come towards the front of the trailer to stop the boat disappearing south when going up hills. Simples The boat is held in a triangle, can't go anywhere. If you want to be posh, you can get custom length/configuration stainless ratchet straps made up for around £20 quid each depending on spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner View Post
although I do put a ratchet strap over the tubes
Noooooooo!! utterly pointless & will do more harm than good, it brings a tear to my eye every time I see straps over tubes
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 18:34   #8

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
All you need are the 3 ratchet straps you already have, 1 from the bow eye to trailer, running towards the rear of the trailer, this stops the boat running forwards if you brake hard. The 2 from the transom eyes to trailer need to come towards the front of the trailer to stop the boat disappearing south when going up hills. Simples The boat is held in a triangle, can't go anywhere. If you want to be posh, you can get custom length/configuration stainless ratchet straps made up for around £20 quid each depending on spec.

Noooooooo!! utterly pointless & will do more harm than good, it brings a tear to my eye every time I see straps over tubes

Did you find that sleeving Dave
Old 30 July 2015, 20:10   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Did you find that sleeving Dave
I did ta! it was under the back seats, all fitted now. Gave me something boaty to do whilst waiting for the wind to drop
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 21:20   #10

Town: Fareham
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Everything Pikey said and don't strap the outboard leg to the trailer. Better to strap to the transom eyes to stop it bouncing up and down and keeping your chock in place.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 21:23   #11

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

same setup for me, works great with both the Revenger and the SR4

where did you get your SS ratchets made up PD? I need to get a new set for the SR4, being a tad brain dead these days I've used the set I had for another job before I remembered what they were for
Old 30 July 2015, 22:10   #12

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
same setup for me, works great with both the Revenger and the SR4

where did you get your SS ratchets made up PD? I need to get a new set for the SR4, being a tad brain dead these days I've used the set I had for another job before I remembered what they were for

Here Chris http://www.yachtropes.co.uk/dsm-products/braided-ropes
Old 31 July 2015, 06:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
thanks Mick
Old 31 July 2015, 07:33   #14

I use the winch hook onto the front eye on bow plus two ratchet straps on front to bow eye, plus two ratchet straps on rear eyes, plus two ropes over the tubes but not really tight just to help stop the cover blowing about too much.

Some people make up a block for the engine or you can buy purpose built ones I think which helps secure the outboard in position, I dont but when I have towed the boat it tends not to be too far a journey, one day in future I will make something up as your suppossed to.
Old 31 July 2015, 07:36   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
I do not now own a rib Had a back problem and had to give up boating for some time sold the rib and had nothing for a long time.

Now decided to build another type of boat and the question of ratchet straps came to mind.

How to secure the boat to the trailer without causing any damage to the top sides of the hull and came up with this idea and surprisingly enough it works.

Maybe some time the rib makers will get wise and come up with something similar..
Old 31 July 2015, 08:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Everything Pikey said and don't strap the outboard leg to the trailer. Better to strap to the transom eyes to stop it bouncing up and down and keeping your chock in place.

the only thing is the transom eyes sit very high and strapping the leg to those wont do much to stop any bobbing of the engine as its almost a straight line, the angle of the dangle is all wrong hence the going to a cross beam on the trailer so there is a positive downward force keeping the engine steady. if the boat is lashed down well and can't move the engine should be secure too.

glad i'm right not to run a strap over the tubes. aside from rubbing the tubes it just didn't seem secure enough.
Old 31 July 2015, 11:11   #17

Quote:
the angle of the dangle is all wrong.
haha, I have that problem!
Old 31 July 2015, 12:08   #18

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
thanks Mick
and here :
6m x 35mm Stainless Steel endless RATCHET STRAP | eBay

Jeff
Old 31 July 2015, 15:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
thanks Jeff, I've used them before, good kit, thanks for the reminder
Old 02 August 2015, 23:35   #20

Town: Fareham
Quote:
the only thing is the transom eyes sit very high and strapping the leg to those wont do much to stop any bobbing of the engine as its almost a straight line, the angle of the dangle is all wrong hence the going to a cross beam on the trailer so there is a positive downward force keeping the engine steady. if the boat is lashed down well and can't move the engine should be secure too.
I still wouldn't recommend lashing the outboard leg to the trailer, it's a bad practice IMO. Perhaps get some strong bungees stretched from one side of the lower engine bracket across the leg and back down to the other side of the lower engine bracket. This way there is always tension on the leg when raised, you simply lift the leg, place your chock in and let go. Providing your chock doesn't fall out you're ready for the road.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote