Old 14 August 2009, 13:41   #41

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 044.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	44848   Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 017.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	44849  
Old 14 August 2009, 13:53   #42

Town: worcester
Length: no boat
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.
Old 14 August 2009, 14:44   #43
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
I want one!
Old 14 August 2009, 16:03   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben tye View Post
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.
Totally agree - the V8s are lovely. You can drive around in 4th gear everywhere - almost like having an Auto!!!
Old 14 August 2009, 16:04   #45

Quote:
Big chunky tyres offer very little grip on tarmac - slicks are much better!!!
Old 14 August 2009, 22:01   #46

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
Old 15 August 2009, 00:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
Old 15 August 2009, 22:08   #48

Quote:
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
Old 16 August 2009, 00:00   #49

Quote:
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
no jesting ,,,subaru belonged to the club sec and it was also full up in the back with diving cylinders and a compresser ,,,the brakes had sized on after not been used for a while and we needed it out of its shed ,,it was gravely tarmac though and it did stuggle at times .only problem with the tractor it was too big for 90 % of the boats we launch and a lot of club members were scared to use it so it stood doing nothing for most of its time with us till we sold it ,so we replaced it with a couple of belarus tractors .regards mart
Old 16 August 2009, 00:53   #50

I believe it - as I said the tractor tyres have very little rubber in contact on hard ground. Would have been a different story on mud.

That is why the stupid tyre laws annoy me - slicks have far better grip 90% of the time unless it's standing water.

Try driving a Land Rover on wet roads with seriously chunky mud plugger tyres - it's scary how little grip there is and yet the tyres are fully legal - in fact the tyre depth gauge would get lost..............
Old 16 August 2009, 09:03   #51

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What a load of Bollox.

Any car could do that.
Quite. It's a rolling weight. What's the big deal?
Old 16 August 2009, 19:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I believe it - as I said the tractor tyres have very little rubber in contact on hard ground. Would have been a different story on mud.
Well I'm not going to argue the toss . With this gear,.. experience tells me otherwise.

Tractor tyre technology has no comparison with road going stuff, and you'd be surprised at the grip they get on a variety of hard surfaces. Primarily they are designed to 'lock' a section of soil between the lugs, and its the force taken to 'shear' this compacted section that will give slip, so if that is not overcome, you will keep getting more grip.

But because of the large tyre diameter there is actually a lot of rubber in contact with the ground at any time and they have low working pressures (depending on circumstances) which helps this,.. then there is the weight they exert on that footprint which is considerable, so in actual fact, contact grip isnt large, its massive.

Then there are other types of tyres such as terra tyres which are balloon or LGP tyres, but the grip quotients change with these again , as the bearing pressure is less and although they look larger, dont neccessarily provide more grip because the weight is spread over a greater area which gives greater flotation

What will defeat a tractor tyre the most is a soft plastic wet clay soil, as the tread pattern becomes clogged and cant clean its self or a slippery substance on a hard one .. otherwise known as cow shit !!
Old 16 August 2009, 22:53   #53

You forgot to mention hardness of rubber - the softer the rubber the more grip there is on solid ground.
Old 18 August 2009, 11:50   #54

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:

when I was at college I studied traction and soil engineering at length. we did some drawbar dynamometer tests on tractors, and tractor units on smooth dry tarmac, we used a Ford county as the brake.
the only thing that moved the county with all the wheels locked by putting the brakes on and parking in 4wd and in low bottom was a heavily ballasted AEC militant 6x6 timber tractor.
the data showed that traction was broken and the county moved at a drawbar pull of around 12000lbs, as traction was broken the county wheels could be seen to be breaking traction and jerking around as the energy in the stretched rubber dissipated.
If a subaru could do this then no one would buy tractors!
drawbar pull cant exceed the weight of the vehicle.
The tractor must have had some wheels turning or its just not possible unless the tractor was on pea gravel and the car on dry tarmac.

I once towed an 18 ton 8 wheeler loaded with timber with a fuel problem from hereford to pontrilas saw mills with my rangerover , in this situation its worth reminding the lorry driver to drop the truck into gear to build up air brake pressure when going down hill
ERF front bumper one..... rangerover tailgate nil.
Old 07 September 2009, 14:54   #55

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
pulled of beach !

Hi Just thought i would put my peneth in

i managed to pull 5 ton of motor home of a soft shingle beach a couple of weeks ago and he was well stuck and that was with my 14 year old Mitsi Delica

but to my shame the next day i got stuck and needed a Landcruiser and Hilux to pull me out of the same beach

Andy
Old 16 September 2009, 21:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post

The tractor must have had some wheels turning or its just not possible unless the tractor was on pea gravel and the car on dry tarmac.

I
your right on all 3 counts doggy,, saw the guy who,s subaru it was and i asked if he remembered about it as it was about 7 /8 years ago ,the rear wheels on the tractor were locked up solid ,fronts did turn and he said it was the earlier version subaru which was more low geard than the later models and it was loaded up with diving cylinders and had a compresser in the back . it was on hard gravel infact the whole area is made from very hard slag from the local steel plant its that hard its like ball bearings which would have helped ,,anyhow heres a pic of the road and gravel though it has been cleaned up a bit from those years ago ,,,,,infact he thought the tractor it may have had a boat on the back too,,only joking lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	45837  
Old 16 September 2009, 22:19   #57

Quote:
your right on all 3 counts doggy,, saw the guy who,s subaru it was and i asked if he remembered about it as it was about 7 /8 years ago
Really

So first you said

Quote:
all its wheels locked up solid
Now you say

Quote:
the rear wheels on the tractor were locked up solid ,fronts did turn
then you said

Quote:
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor
But now you say

Quote:
he said it was the earlier version subaru which was more low geard than the later models
You also said

Quote:
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac
But now you say

Quote:
it was on hard gravel infact
Tractors are a special interest of mine .. I restore them, work them and have done every agricultural job you could imagine with them, I also collect them, especially Fords

A Scooby pulling 6 tonnes of locked solid County on 'Tarmac' dream the f*ck on ...
Old 16 September 2009, 23:35   #58

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Really

So first you said

Now you say

then you said

But now you say

You also said

But now you say

Tractors are a special interest of mine .. I restore them, work them and have done every agricultural job you could imagine with them, I also collect them, especially Fords

A Scooby pulling 6 tonnes of locked solid County on 'Tarmac' dream the f*ck on ...
Old 17 September 2009, 06:47   #59

well it was years ago and i have slept since then ,,,, but end of the day it got it from one side of the yard to the other,
Old 17 September 2009, 08:04   #60

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
on the subject of subarus, a mate was trying to pull a caravan(big old static one) with a subaru pickup, (only across the yard) the subaru wouldnt budge it even in low bottom gear the clutch started to smell.
I hooked the landrover up selected low bottom and started to let the clutch in, in low bottom gear at tickover, the strain was taken up, the landrover started to lean over from the propshaft reaction, i was expecting to break traction any second then BANG. Oh shit i think and dip the clutch, thinking ive broken a halfshaft or something. My mate then asks, are we moving the caravan in two halves then
guess the scooby weakened it