Old 14 August 2009, 09:41   #41

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 044.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	44848   Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 017.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	44849  

Old 14 August 2009, 09:53   #42

Town: worcester
Length: no boat
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.

Old 14 August 2009, 10:44   #43
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
I want one!
Old 14 August 2009, 12:03   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben tye View Post
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.
Totally agree - the V8s are lovely. You can drive around in 4th gear everywhere - almost like having an Auto!!!
Old 14 August 2009, 12:04   #45

Quote:
Big chunky tyres offer very little grip on tarmac - slicks are much better!!!
Old 14 August 2009, 18:01   #46

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
Old 14 August 2009, 20:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
Old 15 August 2009, 18:08   #48

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
Old 15 August 2009, 20:00   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
no jesting ,,,subaru belonged to the club sec and it was also full up in the back with diving cylinders and a compresser ,,,the brakes had sized on after not been used for a while and we needed it out of its shed ,,it was gravely tarmac though and it did stuggle at times .only problem with the tractor it was too big for 90 % of the boats we launch and a lot of club members were scared to use it so it stood doing nothing for most of its time with us till we sold it ,so we replaced it with a couple of belarus tractors .regards mart
Old 15 August 2009, 20:53   #50

I believe it - as I said the tractor tyres have very little rubber in contact on hard ground. Would have been a different story on mud.

That is why the stupid tyre laws annoy me - slicks have far better grip 90% of the time unless it's standing water.

Try driving a Land Rover on wet roads with seriously chunky mud plugger tyres - it's scary how little grip there is and yet the tyres are fully legal - in fact the tyre depth gauge would get lost..............