Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 August 2009, 09:41   #41
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 044.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	44848   Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 017.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	44849  
__________________

__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 09:53   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: worcester
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.
__________________

__________________
ben tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 10:44   #43
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
I want one!
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 12:03   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben tye View Post
best car for towing large boats is the old V8 discoveries, no one wants to buy them as they use too much fuel. I used to tow huge RIBS on sand and would not even notice you were towing anything at all. pick up for small change and save the 40K the Touareg V10 diesel would cost you to buy fuel.
Totally agree - the V8s are lovely. You can drive around in 4th gear everywhere - almost like having an Auto!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 12:04   #45
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,wheels spun a bit but it dragged it no problem . ,,,,my young un has to wear a lifejacket even if hes only launching us ....teach them young ,,,,saves getting your feet wet and its good for charicter building ,,,,well wife did say he can do as he likes as long as he has a lifejacket on .lol
Big chunky tyres offer very little grip on tarmac - slicks are much better!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 18:01   #46
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
a normal subaru esate car pulled this tractor 80 yards on tarmac when all its wheels locked up solid ,
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 20:01   #47
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
really ? that I would like to see .. can you give us some photo evidence of a 1 ton car pulling a 2 ton tractor on tarmac with its wheels locked ?
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 18:08   #48
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
no, as it happened about 6/7 years ago ,and we were more intrested in getting the thing out of the way than taking photos even if we had had a camera with us . mart
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 20:00   #49
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Hold on now I've had a chance to look .. that looks like a County 1454 to me, with a Hara cab.. it weighs 6 tons .. you jests me thinks
no jesting ,,,subaru belonged to the club sec and it was also full up in the back with diving cylinders and a compresser ,,,the brakes had sized on after not been used for a while and we needed it out of its shed ,,it was gravely tarmac though and it did stuggle at times .only problem with the tractor it was too big for 90 % of the boats we launch and a lot of club members were scared to use it so it stood doing nothing for most of its time with us till we sold it ,so we replaced it with a couple of belarus tractors .regards mart
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 20:53   #50
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I believe it - as I said the tractor tyres have very little rubber in contact on hard ground. Would have been a different story on mud.

That is why the stupid tyre laws annoy me - slicks have far better grip 90% of the time unless it's standing water.

Try driving a Land Rover on wet roads with seriously chunky mud plugger tyres - it's scary how little grip there is and yet the tyres are fully legal - in fact the tyre depth gauge would get lost..............
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.