Old 20 July 2006, 17:06   #1

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
The Day My Wheel Bearing Broke!

Well it had to happen one day…. And now it has!

Off for a two day trip to Dartmouth from Lymington on Tuesday, Ageing Youth and I got as far as Brockenhurst and stopped in a queue of traffic to hear a knock on the window. The man in the car behind had run forward and said…. “Did you know your wheel was smoking?” And there in the mirror was smoky wheel… but more importantly one at an odd angle!

The entire outer bearing had disappeared and the inner one had welded itself to the axle stub. Only a few minutes earlier we had been travelling at 60 mph on the motorway!!!

It looked like the end of a ribbing break with the prospect of an expensive low-loader to take the boat home…. If it hadn’t been for…. SUPER TRAILER REPAIR MAN!

In among the several phone calls we made, I got the number of Simon Dilland at Hampshire Trailer and Roofrack Centre. As far as I can tell, they are one of the few, (if only) trailer people that will come and do an emergency roadside repair. To cut a long story short, due to the welded inner bearing, it was too difficult to repair at the side of the road so Simon affected a temporary repair and we limped to Lymington. We then launched Prime Rib II and with the weight off the trailer, he took it back to his Southampton base to repair…. While WE went to Dartmouth. Simon and repaired trailer were there waiting for us on our return. Job done and rib trip completed! And considering the amount of to-ing and fro-ing from Southampton… and 2 new bearings etc, for not a bad price!

So, if you tow, take a note of this number… You never know when you will need SUPER TRAILER REPAIR MAN!

Simon Dilland
Hampshire Trailer and Roofrack Centre 02380 333111
www.trailersandtransport.co.uk

Thanks Simon, you saved my bacon!

Mike C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simon.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	21054  
Old 20 July 2006, 19:54   #2

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
good to hear it didnt spoil ur trip, ive had that happen to me, luckly my bro has a car transporter trailer . and i was about 8 miles from home
Old 21 July 2006, 10:58   #3

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Hi All,

I can only reiterate what Mike has said about Simon, Top Bloke. The trip to Dartmouth was excellent 200nm in 2 days in fantastic weather. I can highly recommend The Cherub in Dartmouth for food. The coastline down there is stunning. I am looking forward to going again but taking a bit longer maybe a week. Many thanks Mike, hope you rembered your Anniversary!!!

Cheers