Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 September 2008, 17:40   #11
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
very industrial looking for the fiscally prudent..
__________________

__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2008, 17:45   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
They look industrial 'cos they're made of heavy duty materials, unlike some budget brands. They're keenly priced 'cos the company owner is a decent guy who wants to retain customers.


Oh, they also use taper roller bearings, which are easily maintained and can be changed at the roadside.
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2008, 17:54   #13
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
They look industrial 'cos they're made of heavy duty materials, unlike some budget brands. They're keenly priced 'cos the company owner is a decent guy who wants to retain customers.


Oh, they also use taper roller bearings, which are easily maintained and can be changed at the roadside.
cool, have you weighed in yet?
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2008, 17:56   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
cool, have you weighed in yet?
It will be a long time before it's ready for the scrapyard.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2008, 20:45   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
They look industrial 'cos they're made of heavy duty materials, unlike some budget brands. They're keenly priced 'cos the company owner is a decent guy who wants to retain customers.


Oh, they also use taper roller bearings, which are easily maintained and can be changed at the roadside.
Quite right - it's mainly the brakes that cause trouble now - apparently all the brake shoes you buy these days are bonded instead of rivetted so water causes them to swell.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 03:20   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Malthouse, there is something similar to what you want near the Folly in Cowes. It's used on a slipway to drag boats out for maintenance - pulled up the slip by a winch. It's made by RM, has three axles (I think) which are spread along the length of it.

Hayling trailers will build anything you want. They did a double stacking dinghy trailer for the university sailing club last year that had to fit out existing trolleys. Was so problem at all.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 07:36   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
- apparently all the brake shoes you buy these days are bonded instead of rivetted so water causes them to swell.
How's that then?
Surely, if the lining material were likely to swell, this would happen irrespective of the fixing method to the metal shoe?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 07:55   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
How's that then?
Surely, if the lining material were likely to swell, this would happen irrespective of the fixing method to the metal shoe?
I would have thought so but that's what the trailer people told me - apparently it didn't happen with the old ones.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 07:59   #19
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Hayling trailers will build anything you want. They did a double stacking dinghy trailer for the university sailing club last year that had to fit out existing trolleys. Was so problem at all.
Hi Tim,

We have called Hayling, as like you I thought they would tackle anything but they said no to the weight specs.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 16:10   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Hi Tim,

We have called Hayling, as like you I thought they would tackle anything but they said no to the weight specs.
Call CLH then!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.