Town: Littlehampton
Boat name: Warrior
Make: Wetline
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 30HP Autolube
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to MrHeadsocket
Supporting the tubes or floor of a SIB?

I'm getting ready to sort out my trailer (at long last!) from the single deck that the SIB sits on to a proper set up putting no strain on the transom or floor (the deck of the trailer actually causes the floor to bend due to the weight being on the inflatable keel and having a 50kg engine!) My designs are either supporting the tubes or supporting the join between the floor and tubes. What's best? Obviously I will have transom support (possibly roller bunks to to support and guide the front onto the trailer) but which bit should I support, the seem or tubes or both if I can? I will post some designs tomorrow but have attached a picture of the current trailer. My budget is about 100-150 for materials, I already have the tools cheers in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419546530703.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	101808   Click image for larger version

Name:	1419546569916.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	101809  

Old 26 December 2014, 04:25   #2

Town: gloucestershire
On a budget, I would:
Buy 3 treated 100x50 C16/regularized timbers min 1m longer than the boat and use them to support under the tubes and the third under the keel, make metal brackets to the existing trailer as needed. Bolt or weld on and coach bolts to the timber, cover the three bunks in cheap industrial cord carpet. Remember a metal tie down/winch post at the front center.

With the off cuts of timber: make a profiled piece that fits under the transom and takes all the weight of the motor, cover in carpet, fix to trailer.

I did this to a unsuitable trailer that came with a SIB some years ago, its worked out great and gives good support, 400 mile round trips have been no problem.

Old 26 December 2014, 04:28   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I'd avoid rollers on a sib. They put too much stress on a single point. If you need to guide the boat on, use upright side guide-on bunks

IMO the best support point is, as you mentioned, the tube/floor interface. The hard floor hits the fabric at that point, so you are less likely to stretch anything. If you need more support, a single flat bunk under the front of the keel should do the trick. The back is unlikely to need more support than just the transom.

You will probably want to be able to lock the motor's steering to keep it flapping around in turns. I like triangulating the motor to the trailer to keep the fore-aft pendulum action to a minimum, but that seems to be a hot button issue on here.

Keep updating as you decide your course;

jky
Old 26 December 2014, 13:02   #4

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Once done always remember to strap it down so it cannot bounce as you trailer it, especially the engine/transom.
Old 26 December 2014, 13:31   #5

RIBase
Cheers for all your advice! I had a design on my computer but it crashed before I saved it! -_- so will redo and upload I will have a couple of designs, one supporting the tubes and one supporting the seems between the floor and tubes... it will have tie down points for ratchet straps and a transom saver attachment type thing
Old 26 December 2014, 14:09   #6

RIBase
Below are 2 designs as well as a drawing of the trailer with no modifications once the wooden deck has been removed. The trailer does have a winch post already but the winch could do with replacing (perhaps one job at a time!) which of these designs do you recommend and is it legal to have the supports (of design 2) over the wheels? The boat tubes sit over the wheels anyway and have never had any problems with the Police.

With both designs, the beam of wood across the trailer at the front would have a cut out for the keel (see below, "Cross Section") and Design 1 would obviously be more simple to make whereas Design 2 would be more complex (but not out of my skill zone) but it means that the trailer would have to go further into the water as the supports would be higher due to the extra beam across to support the wider beams. Also, would I have to add anything else? I am usually in the boat for launching and recovery whilst someone is backing the car down the slipway, so would these be stable and strong enough?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer Template.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	101811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Design 1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	101812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Design 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	101813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Section.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	101814  
Old 26 December 2014, 14:55   #7

Town: gloucestershire
I do not like rollers for inflatable keels (support reasons), replace these with a center bunk add a few braces (triangulation) to stiffen it up and I recon your there.
Old 26 December 2014, 16:50   #8

RIBase
Awesome! Will go with design 1 as it is simplest. I will remove the current keel rollers and once I have assembled everything I will add the central bunk
Old 26 December 2014, 20:00   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeadsocket View Post
I will have a couple of designs, one supporting the tubes and one supporting the seems between the floor and tubes...
If your trailer only supports the tubes and you have a tube get cut/scraped/rammed and burst, you may find yourself unable to get the boat home.

In the summer you may find yourself needing to relieve tube pressure when going from cool water to a warm sunny road. Air expands as it heats up, so I typically trailer with just enough air in the tubes to hold their shape (well, in summer, anyway. Cold and rainiy isn't an issue with this.) Yields the same problem as above.

jky
Old 28 December 2014, 11:54   #10

RIBase
After a day of working on my trailer, inflating my SIB and getting the 50kg Yamaha out of it I have a blank canvas. But it does need one hell of a sand! Obviously if I could afford a new trailer I would get one but needs must! So Tuesday I will get the materials, any tools and measurements and commence! Will keep you guys updated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1419785615393.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	101845   Click image for larger version

Name:	1419785623402.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	101846   Click image for larger version

Name:	1419785636613.jpg
Views:	174