Old 04 March 2011, 09:40   #31

Length: 7m +
I use ratchet straps attached to the trailer and the rings on the transom, plus an extra ratchet strap for the ring in the bow plus the winch strap plus a strap across the tubes but this is not under a great deal of tension, just helps keep the cover from blowing around when on the moterway.

Old 25 July 2012, 06:30   #32

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha580 View Post
I've only or one eye on the transom as I have an auxiliary bracket on the other side.. So I ratchet strap fromthe trailer up around the ski pole and then down the opposite side to the trailer.. Works very well.. I then have a lengthy bit of rope from the bow eye down the trailer and doubled back up and then forward and tied just under the winch.. Stops any movement! Deffo don't tie over the tubes.. I did it once when I picked the boat up and by the time I got home.. The tubes were well soft and the strap was really loose.. It can chaff the tubes too and cause a lot of pressure on seals and valves!
I too have the same issue, i.e. one towing eye due to auxiliary engine, do you think the A-frame would take the pressure of two ratchet straps down to the trailer.

I attach a photo for you viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02889-660x480.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	70543   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02895-660x480.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	70544  

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2012, 06:42   #33

7.5M Rib. I use the two rear eyes on the transom with ratchet straps to the trailer. The front eye to the winch ratchet with a further ratchet from the front to another part of the trailer at the front. Usually the boat cover will be on and for short journeys I dont put any straps over the top over the tubes, however for longer journeys I do put straps over the top over the tubes but only tight enough to stop the cover flapping.

Just using straps over the tubes isnt a good idea, you need to ratchet the boat down from front and back, tow at front and two at back recomended as they can break.
Old 25 July 2012, 06:46   #34

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
7.5M Rib. I use the two rear eyes on the transom with ratchet straps to the trailer. The front eye to the winch ratchet with a further ratchet from the front to another part of the trailer at the front. Usually the boat cover will be on and for short journeys I dont put any straps over the top over the tubes, however for longer journeys I do put straps over the top over the tubes but only tight enough to stop the cover flapping.

Just using straps over the tubes isnt a good idea, you need to ratchet the boat down from front and back, tow at front and two at back recomended as they can break.
If you didn't have two rear eyes would your A-frame be strong enough for the ratchet straps to the trailer?

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2012, 06:57   #35

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Hi Will

I strap my Osprey down at the rear with two ratchet straps going 45degs down to two lugs i welded into place when i built the trailer. Obviously if your trailer doesnt have lugs then you can use the crossbeam or suitable stong point to attach to. It clears my auxy with no issues. If its a case of no towing eye existing can you not pass the strap up through the outboard saddle then back down to the trailer frame?

I went a bit OTT with the bow, i trailer it with a 2.5t strap passed through the eye down to two more lugs welded on the crossbeam further aft. I also welded a lug onto the winchpost and shackle through it as a failsafe. I keep the winch strap wound up but not excessively tight.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	70545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	70546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	70547  
Old 25 July 2012, 10:40   #36
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler
Hi Will

I strap my Osprey down at the rear with two ratchet straps going 45degs down to two lugs i welded into place when i built the trailer. Obviously if your trailer doesnt have lugs then you can use the crossbeam or suitable stong point to attach to. It clears my auxy with no issues. If its a case of no towing eye existing can you not pass the strap up through the outboard saddle then back down to the trailer frame?

I went a bit OTT with the bow, i trailer it with a 2.5t strap passed through the eye down to two more lugs welded on the crossbeam further aft. I also welded a lug onto the winchpost and shackle through it as a failsafe. I keep the winch strap wound up but not excessively tight.

Simon
can I ask what the reasoning of the front strap to rear, I though that is pulling Thr boat off the trailer ?

S.
Old 25 July 2012, 11:29   #37

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
can I ask what the reasoning of the front strap to rear, I though that is pulling Thr boat off the trailer ?

S.
Hi SPR

If you think of what would happen in the event of even a minor frontal collision, the boat, because of its inertia will naturally try to continue at the same speed as the trailer was traveling at prior to the sudden deceleration. Gwenn weigs in at just over 1600kgs which a lot of energy to try to stop. Without a front strap i would be concerned she would ride up and over the bow snubber eventually causing the winch strap to 'snap' tight again.
Shock loading any kind of strap or sling can impose a massive increase in the loading it experiences potentially causing a failure. (one of the reasons lifting slings have an inherent safety factor built in)

By pulling back on the bow against the winch strap you are effectively canceling any chance of the boat shooting forwards (obviously only to the UTS of the rear facing ratchet strap) The downward angle of the strap also causes a downward thrust on the bow should she get pushed forwards.

Because Gwenn overhangs the rear of the trailer by approx 500mm, the two rear straps are in effect putting a very slight forward thrust on the boat potentially helping her to ride forward and over the bow snubber. It also helps to reduce the chance of ripping the winch post of the front cross beam (although my winch post is held on quite well with 3x12mm high grade U bolts so in effect 6 1émm nuts to shear off)

I built the trailer with this in mind and for the cost of welding in a couple of pad eyes and a decent ratchet strap it's IMHO, money well spent.

Simon
Old 25 July 2012, 12:14   #38
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
no problem makes sense, I have strap going right angles to trailer pulling the not down to trailer - I have smaller rib
Old 25 July 2012, 15:52   #39
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
oops!

Get it wrong and this happens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	70553  
Old 27 July 2012, 20:32   #40

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Fluffy
Make: Northcraft, Ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: Out 135 Mercuary
That was Beckum in practise for the Olympics.....

Just a point, for safety as well as the nose attached to the ratchet strap, I also rope an inside eyelet to the front of the trailer. A loose ton and a half of boat frightens me.

D