Old 07 September 2010, 20:02   #61

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Yup! I have been known to lurk around the Disco3 forum, that's where the info about the 2.7l commercial came from. Between Ribnet, Disco3 & here http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ I get Bu**er all work done !
Old 07 September 2010, 21:20   #62

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Export spec D3/D4 are still all 2.7L unless you pay an exorbitant amount extra for the option of the 3.0L, so they do still build them. I have a D4 2.7 manual SE that arrived in our vehicle yard about a month ago.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2010, 21:58   #63
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Are you sure? the 2.7 has been replaced by the 3.0l in the commercial here in the UK Some people lucked out & ordered the 2.7 manual & got the 3.0l auto at no extra charge. AFAIK the 2.7l has been discontinued for the 2011my. The commercial comes with the 3.0l 211hp as standard, you can pay about a grand & have it "upgraded" to 246hp as a factory option. Word has it that you will be able to have it re-mapped after market for much less than a grand.
Pikey Dave, you must spend more time on FIBnet! You're the bearer of Good Tidings and Gifts

Regarding the 2.7, the situation may have changed recently. Our Commercial market is in turmoil 'cos the Greens hold the casting vote in our soon to be ousted Coalition. They want to reduce the number of Commercial 4X4s on our roads, the feckers...
I'm not in the market this year anyway so will watch this space. My 110 is 13yo in January and I can't hope for miracles, she'll have to go before too many moons pass.
Old 08 September 2010, 11:01   #64

RIBase
I don't have a problem with the tree huggers, the more people that drive prius's & bike to work leaves more fuel & road space for my planet killing Disco & Etecs :>
Old 08 September 2010, 20:37   #65

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I really fancied a Disco till i spoke to a few folk who have them or had them. They all complained of reliability issues which for me is useless when doing 20,000 miles a year. Shame its a nice car.
Old 08 September 2010, 21:22   #66

RIBase
I'm on my 6th Disco, so i'm either a glutton for punishment or they aint that bad. They have their problems just like any others, usually daft things like trim falling off, the latest one had a new GPS module at 5 weeks old. On the whole I'm prepared to put up with the foibles in exchange for the sheer capability of the thing.
Old 09 September 2010, 00:00   #67

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I don't have a problem with the tree huggers, the more people that drive prius's & bike to work leaves more fuel & road space for my planet killing Disco & Etecs

Man after me own heart, V8 Discovery at this end and Etec on the way

Don't like the D3/D4 though, for the above reasons. My D2 is eight years old and only has 40k miles on the clock so should do me for another eight years with no problem

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2010, 00:30   #68

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
my disco 2 has 172k, we did a liitle egr transplant last week , quite some fuel saveing, makes more sense than trying to burn exhaust gases that contain no oxygen.
does more mpg towing now than it did without a trailer pre-op
Old 28 November 2010, 19:37   #69

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Hi all, just picked up the new boat in the uk and she's in her new home now in Ireland ... Just thought I'd throw in my bit about towing machines.. Bought a Subaru legacy 2litre tdi awd last year, lovely car and very economical... Arrived in Holyhead and had to drive down past Portsmouth, a distance of 550kms or so.. I was by no means hanging around on the journey down and the car averaged 5.2lt per 100 kms.. I think that's around 55mpg.. On the way back.. 5.8m rib,90hp engine , trailer, half tank of juice in the boat.. And a lot of extras.. I cruised back at between 50 to 60 mph on the motorways.. And she averaged around 35mpg for the 550kms back.. All in all pretty good .. It started snowing too on the way back so god bless the all wheel drive.. Handy for the slip ways too!! :-)
cheers
Mark
Old 28 November 2010, 22:23   #70

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I had a Legacy Estate as my last car before I moved over to larger 4x4s.

It was a brilliant vehicle that was a great family car, towed the Flatacraft I had at the time really well, and was fantastic in snow etc.

I was very sorry to see go when it was just costing too much to run, the 2.8TD Shogun I replaced it with was cheaper to run.

I'd driven it hard, it had 120K miles on it, and I would definately have another one.

The big issue was the fuel consumption, it was an imported 2l Twin Turbo GTB(Petrol obviously) that did about 20mpg on the motorway and @ 14MPG when pushed hard on the back roads

I still wish I'd found a way to keep it as a second car.

Nasher.
Old 07 December 2010, 22:49   #71

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Awh I had an impreza wrx years ago and I can honestly say it was one of the best cars I've ever driven.. A real drivers car.. But it too broke my heart with running costs.. You'd need shares in Esso to keep it on the road! But I must say the new legacy is such a fantastic car.. And being diesel there's plenty of torque for towing.. Couldn't believe the economy on the trip.. Next thing now( once the slipway thaws out!!) is to see how it handles launching and recovering.. Shouldn't be much hassle.. Hopefully!! 