Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 October 2012, 13:21   #11
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
I can't tell are the bearings missing??
This is what it should look like in there sir. As you can see, everything's missing, but the brake cables were left in place, so, from the outside, it looked like the brakes were fitted and working.



It's tempting uncle al, but not sure that's my place. Agree with everyone's sentiment though - it's bloody dangerous. This is a big, twin axle Snipe, with a GVW of 2000kg. Only one drum had brakes inside, which didn't work either, as the cable had seized in it's sleeve and the shoes had delaminated, wedging themselves between what was left of the shoe carriers and the drum face.

And you're right PeterM - I see this on a pretty regular basis. I pray for the day that they bring in compulsory MOTs / checks on trailers and caravans. The crazy thing is, if this customer said, "don't worry about it" (which he wouldn't as he's quite plainly smart and aware of the implications) I'd have no choice but to just put the drum back on and let him carry on with the trailer in this state.

One day we'll catch up with the rest of the modern world when it comes to trailers. I'll be long gone by then though!
__________________

Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 13:45   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 766
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
Liability

Ben,
I suspect that if you put it back together in an unroadworthy state you would lay yourself open to a liability claim as the last person to work on it , either insist on rectification or walk away leaving the parts disassembled .
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 14:52   #13
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Hmmm, that's a good point Lurcher. I have to admit, with the way the world isn't the moment, I think you've made a valid statement there. Think I may have to look at drafting out some T&Cs. Not the way I like to do things, I'm rather old fashioned really. A man's handshake is his bond and I invoice people on completion with the expectation they'll do the right thing. Such is life now, I guess, that you have to prepare for the worst!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 06:11   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
Hi T.G.
Seen a wheel come off at speed from a dive club boat trailer due to a failed split pin. Nearside wheel unwinding the nut and the complete wheel and hub (with the dust cap still on and holding all the loose bits inside it) overtake the car, cross both carriageways on a dual carriageway road and bouncing to windscreen level when it left the central reservation. Flew through a rare gap in the traffic and went straight through a thorn hedge on the far side of the road. From a following vehicle the incident all seemed to play out in slow motion...scary stuff!
Whilst it would be difficult to put a case against MoTs for trailers having regard to the safety issues it would only say the trailer was correct at the time of testing and I've seen more than a few dangerously unroadworthy cars with a certificate only a few days old let alone a trailer that is being dunked in salt water. I would rather pray, if I were of that persuasion, for trailer manufacturers to fit parts to boat trailers that are suitable for the purpose and resistant in some way to salt water corrosion. Mild steel (or whatever it is) brake shoes with auto reverse mechs are going to rust and seize when dropped into in salt water. Bonded on linings are going to fall off the metal shoe when rust creeps between them. The back plate rusts causing increased friction as they get pitted, the shoes dont move properly and the adjusters rust up. Cables seize when seawater collects in them(although s/s ones help) and become inoperative.
I know I have towed trailers on which the brakes have seized up and most who use trailers in the sea will have also done so at some time...although maybe unwittingly.
__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 09:18   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
There is also an argument for getting a flush system fitted. I removed my wheel a couple of weeks ago for a check, and the mechanism (now 4 years old) is still operational & remarkably good nick considering the salt water dunks it's had. To makle it even easier, I have arranged the flush hose such that there is a Hoselock connector that feeds both, so as soon as I have finished wioth the engine, I can sewap the hose to the hubs in seconds.

Having said that, I tow every time I launch, so making sure it has a good fresh water flush after each recovery removes the salt, and the resulting dampness inside is dried out on the trip home by the heat generated from stopping.


Interestingly, I also have nylocks on mine instead of the split pin. (as supplied by Knott) Suffice to say I have a stock of them for moments like a couple of weeks ago!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 13:05   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
........Whilst it would be difficult to put a case against MoTs for trailers having regard to the safety issues it would only say the trailer was correct at the time of testing and I've seen more than a few dangerously unroadworthy cars with a certificate only a few days old let alone a trailer that is being dunked in salt water. I would rather pray, if I were of that persuasion, for trailer manufacturers to fit parts to boat trailers that are suitable for the purpose and resistant in some way to salt water corrosion. Mild steel (or whatever it is) brake shoes with auto reverse mechs are going to rust and seize when dropped into in salt water. Bonded on linings are going to fall off the metal shoe when rust creeps between them. The back plate rusts causing increased friction as they get pitted, the shoes dont move properly and the adjusters rust up. Cables seize when seawater collects in them(although s/s ones help) and become inoperative.
I know I have towed trailers on which the brakes have seized up and most who use trailers in the sea will have also done so at some time...although maybe unwittingly.
I agree, the manufacturers are to blame and it's about time they did something about it IMHO. Even when one buys galvanized suspension units, only the outer part, the casing, is galvanized and the rest is left simply painted or cadmium plated, neither of which is much use in salt water.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 13:44   #17
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
Currently mucking around with a retro-fit disc brake system (Bramber brought one out, but it wasn't hugely successful and now trying to get parts for it is a complete pita), on a shoe string budget. It needs to be auto reverse, which causes the headache....

perhaps i should approach dragon's den
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 14:34   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Jeepster
Make: Marina 16 GT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 30
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Currently mucking around with a retro-fit disc brake system (Bramber brought one out, but it wasn't hugely successful and now trying to get parts for it is a complete pita), on a shoe string budget. It needs to be auto reverse, which causes the headache....

perhaps i should approach dragon's den
Not sure if you have found a suitable auto reverse solution yet TG but I would be happy to work on the problem with you as I have also thought about retro fitting disc brakes to my 1100kg capacity Knott caravan axle, but its a fairly daunting task on my own.
__________________
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 15:01   #19
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
... disc brake system (Bramber brought one out, but it wasn't hugely successful and now trying to get parts for it is a complete pita)
Jeez, it was an option when we bought a trailer a couple of years back. Was interested as all the working are visible, but the price:

Glad I didn't
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 15:05   #20
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I would be happy to work on the problem with you as I have also thought about retro fitting disc brakes to my 1100kg capacity Knott caravan axle, but its a fairly daunting task on my own.
Could be, er, interesting
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.