Old 16 April 2013, 07:14   #21

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Probably a numpty question (I am good at those), as I've not messed about with bearings and hubs before (all my dinghies were on combi trailers where the road bases never get dunked so it was just a case of greasing them regularly).

Will the Banbury trailers or eBay bearing / hubs come ready assembled or do I then need to put them together. If the latter do I need special tools?
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 07:16   #22

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Seller has confirmed:
Hubs are 4x4 pcd
Wheels 3.5 bx10h2
Tyres 5.00-10 6 ply
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 07:30   #23

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Should come with races already fitted. All you'll need to do is pack them with grease, fit the bearings in (the one with the seal fitted goes in the back), slide them on and then fit the thrust washer, castellated nut and split pin. Knock the dust cap in and you're good to go
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 10:20   #24

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Take a pair of rubber gloves!! Can get messy.......
Old 17 April 2013, 12:49   #25

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
going back to the recovery service questions (sorry Chris to hi jack the thread ) I contacted the AA and the RAC by the interwistle to see their response to my trailer question should I wish to change providers at renewal time. The AA had an online chat/advisor person who came back straight away with an affirmative that it would be covered subject to certain dimension/weight criteria. The RAC were more long winded and their answer has just come in which is as below-

Thank you for your email.
Under our normal terms of membership your trailer would not be covered for recovery unless the vehicle towing broke down, however, there are ways of avoiding this exclusion.

which is as I thought and as per other's experience. Always pays to check the current situation. I researched this one years ago for a magazine and it does seem to change from time to time with different providers. Daughter's outlaws reckoned they were assured by the guy who sold them their RAC cover that their trailer was covered no matter what-but I reckon that was probably them hearing just what they wanted to hear before they joined up and set off on their trip which became very expensive when a bearing went. I did resist telling 'em "I told ya so".
Old 17 April 2013, 17:32   #26

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
fit the bearings in (the one with the seal fitted goes in the back)
Okay I am confused If the bearing is an L44643 (Which is what my trailer uses) how is there a "seal fitted" to the bearing? Do ye'all in Europe use something different?

BTW here in the USA the seals are a total bugger to locate. No auto parts store stock them. I had to go to a wheel and brake store to get them a couple of weeks ago.
Old 17 April 2013, 20:23   #27

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Have a look Trailer Set (4 brgs) L44643L/L4610 + L44643/L44610 or LM44600LA + 44643/44610 | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Okay I am confused If the bearing is an L44643 (Which is what my trailer uses) how is there a "seal fitted" to the bearing? Do ye'all in Europe use something different?

BTW here in the USA the seals are a total bugger to locate. No auto parts store stock them. I had to go to a wheel and brake store to get them a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	78878  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 22:39   #28

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
To check - grab the wheel at two o'clock and ten o'clock
Is that AM or PM and if PM would it matter if it was a bit earlier because matron says I'm not supposed to be out after dark?
Old 18 April 2013, 07:37   #29

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
going back to the recovery service questions (sorry Chris to hi jack the thread ) I contacted the AA and the RAC by the interwistle to see their response to my trailer question should I wish to change providers at renewal time. The AA had an online chat/advisor person who came back straight away with an affirmative that it would be covered subject to certain dimension/weight criteria. The RAC were more long winded and their answer has just come in which is as below-

Thank you for your email.
Under our normal terms of membership your trailer would not be covered for recovery unless the vehicle towing broke down, however, there are ways of avoiding this exclusion.

which is as I thought and as per other's experience. Always pays to check the current situation. I researched this one years ago for a magazine and it does seem to change from time to time with different providers. Daughter's outlaws reckoned they were assured by the guy who sold them their RAC cover that their trailer was covered no matter what-but I reckon that was probably them hearing just what they wanted to hear before they joined up and set off on their trip which became very expensive when a bearing went. I did resist telling 'em "I told ya so".

Green Flag every time They recovered my 1st RIB yonks ago, 6.4m Osprey, inboard engine, on a Roller Coaster 4 wheel trailer, big heavy bugger it was. Had to call them out a few times over the years, works vans, minor accident etc. Never had a problem, always quick & no arguing about recovery back home.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 09:01   #30

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Green Flag every time They recovered my 1st RIB yonks ago, 6.4m Osprey, inboard engine, on a Roller Coaster 4 wheel trailer, big heavy bugger it was. Had to call them out a few times over the years, works vans, minor accident etc. Never had a problem, always quick & no arguing about recovery back home.
yep!! green flag are good
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 22:09   #31

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd View Post
yep!! green flag are good
No there no they are well good. I got toed with a trailer all the way from Woolyback in Pertshire to Southampton on my policy which had trailer cover.

They got me back in about 2 hours longer than it wouldhave cost me and I saved 170 quid ob fuel costs

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote