Old 28 July 2019, 02:33   #1

Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp
Small utility to SIB trailer conversion

After I've realized how much of a pain in the rear it's going to be to assemble my 3.3 m SIB at the launch, I'm looking at small utility trailers to haul my boat. What do people think about something like this?

It's 40" x 48" and costs about $380. It would clearly need a hitch extension. But what about building up that center section to lay the boat on? I was thinking just framing it up to the top of the wheel covers and then laying some scrap carpet down. I figure that should be enough to balance a small SIB (strapped down tightly of course) for a short and slow speed trip down to the marina. Once there I'd use the transom wheels to get it down to the water. Thoughts?
Old 28 July 2019, 16:35   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Yep lengthen the draw bar to Suit 4 uprights with bunks on top job done look in my threads new trailer for ideas I had one made Roy
Old 28 July 2019, 17:17   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Wouldnt it just be easier to buy a boat trailer in the first place? I can see the sense in altering if you already own a trailer but surely the time effort and money would equal the extra cost of buying the correct trailer in the first place
Old 28 July 2019, 17:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Wouldnt it just be easier to buy a boat trailer in the first place? I can see the sense in altering if you already own a trailer but surely the time effort and money would equal the extra cost of buying the correct trailer in the first place

A "proper" boat trailer is more than I want to spend right now, and I'd have nowhere to store it. I live in an HOA with no street parking and room for only one car in my driveway. A small trailer like this I could just turn on its side in the garage for storage.
Old 28 July 2019, 17:53   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
At the start you said you had no room for a trailer so needed to daily setup. Have you tried this yet.. it may not be as bad as you think and save the trailer storage hassle??
Old 28 July 2019, 17:57   #6

Yeah, that's what I said in one of my early threads on this boat, but then I realized how heavy it was and how much of a pain it was going to be to assemble at the marina, I realized a small trailer like this might be doable. I definitely don't have room for a full size boat trailer.
Old 28 July 2019, 18:23   #7

But surely once converted to successfully and safely carry a boat then it will be as big and cumbersome as a boat trailer?
Just cos you convert a small trailer to carry a boat doesnt make it any smaller than a small boat trailer. I take the point about the cost but its likely the bits you have to buy to carry a boat mount up to close to what a boat trailer would cost.
Theres also the whole type approval thing (I assume you have something similar in the US) if your altering the structure it loses its type approval. I know its being pedantic but put it all together and a good used small boat trailer becomes more appealing. Presumably jet ski trailers are available in the us which are not far off the size for a sib
Old 28 July 2019, 19:55   #8

RIBase
If not traveling far what about a side loading roof rack for the boat
Old 29 July 2019, 00:17   #9

Quote:
But surely once converted to successfully and safely carry a boat then it will be as big and cumbersome as a boat trailer?
Just cos you convert a small trailer to carry a boat doesnt make it any smaller than a small boat trailer. I take the point about the cost but its likely the bits you have to buy to carry a boat mount up to close to what a boat trailer would cost.
Theres also the whole type approval thing (I assume you have something similar in the US) if your altering the structure it loses its type approval. I know its being pedantic but put it all together and a good used small boat trailer becomes more appealing. Presumably jet ski trailers are available in the us which are not far off the size for a sib

The cost and size are of equal importance, 50/50. I absolutely have no room for an 8' trailer, and I've not seen anything in the realm of a "proper" boat trailer less than that size. Cost wise, I can't find anything locally (even used) for less than $650.

I estimate the cost to upgrade this utility trailer to haul my SIB will be about $30 in lumber. Perhaps another $60 for a trailer tongue extension, if needed. I've gone ahead and ordered the original trailer I posted. Perhaps I'll post some photos of what it looks like after I fix it up for pulling my boat. Also, my state doesn't have a "type" approval/licensing thing. It doesn't matter whether the trailer hauls dirt, a boat, or a homemade camper. It's all determined by weight and how often it's used.
Old 29 July 2019, 07:55   #10

The modified trailer will need to be at least 8ft long to carry a 10ft boat & probably more if you want to trail with engine fitted and supported . If you don't have room for a custom built trailer how do you expect to store a modified trailer? it will be the same length!
I hear you can save a couple of hundred dollars but really don't think you've thought this through with the whole storage thing
Old 29 July 2019, 21:55   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The modified trailer will need to be at least 8ft long to carry a 10ft boat & probably more if you want to trail with engine fitted and supported . If you don't have room for a custom built trailer how do you expect to store a modified trailer? it will be the same length!
I hear you can save a couple of hundred dollars but really don't think you've thought this through with the whole storage thing

Perhaps he is going to drill holes in it to lighten it! (You were around long enough ago to remember that?)

Ignoring all of beamish’s valid points - if you have to take the boat on/off each time and manipulate a trailer into a very small space each time, is it really easier than using the sub the way it was designed?
Old 30 July 2019, 07:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Perhaps he is going to drill holes in it to lighten it! (You were around long enough ago to remember that?)

Yeh good idea maybe link the thread loads of good trailer building tips
(Cant remember the poster now)

Quote:
Ignoring all of beamish’s valid points - if you have to take the boat on/off each time and manipulate a trailer into a very small space each time, is it really easier than using the sub the way it was designed?
Silly idea it'll never catch on[emoji848]
Old 02 August 2019, 07:49   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Yeh good idea maybe link the thread loads of good trailer building tips
(Cant remember the poster now)
its here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f49/buildin...eap-50607.html
Old 26 August 2019, 23:55   #14

Town: Furlong
Boat name: Denjon
Make: Newportvessels
Engine: Outboard, 8hp
I like this thread and the question was straight forward. Roykirk wants to save some money (who doesn’t ), do some DIY work to make a trailer best fitted to his boat expectations and needs.
So, why nobody helped him to accomplish his dream. I went though all this thread and found only “advising” to change Roykirk’s motivation of building something he wants.
Unfortunately i can’t help him because I carry my inflatable boat deflated inside my car but eventually I want to have a small and might be a foldable trailer and why I have to pay at least two times more for the trailer instead of buying cheap one and modify it for my needs.
So far I found two cheap trailers. One is 40 x 48 and another is foldable 4 ft x 8 ft, locally at Freight Harbor store and I would like to modify the smallest one. In addition of savings, no needs to pay for shipping.
I hope that someone will give the proper advice to many boaters who want have a trailer but not so expensive.
By the way, I have no idea why trailers for the boats so expensive even a small basic one.
Old 27 August 2019, 08:48   #15

Quote:
I like this thread and the question was straight forward. Roykirk wants to save some money (who doesn’t ), do some DIY work to make a trailer best fitted to his boat expectations and needs
Modifying the trailer is fine. But probably only makes sense of he already owned it or could get it dirt cheap. I own a vaguely similar trailer bought on eBay from 2 miles from my house for <£100.

Trailing is easier than setting up at marina but only if you can store the boat on the trailer.

Once practiced most sibbers say they can set up / break down in half an hour.

Lower trailer off side. Manouvre boat onto trailer. Secure it. Tow it. Remove from trailer, attach engine (trailer won't support transom well enough), put gear in boat (fuel, anchor, etc). Park up trailer. Gotta be close to 30mins.

So the reason no-one is helping is we haven't yet invented a machine to teleport the SIB to the slipway... Because the wants are about as realistic...

Boat trailer price:
1. It says boat on it - add 25%
2. It needs to be drinkable. Not just reasonably rust proof
3. Electrics need to be removable or waterproof
4. Scale of production. Not that many boats
5. Custom fit. Everyone wants to tweak to their hull compared with a tent that gets chucked in a box trailer...

Second hand serviceable trailers that do what the OP wants (except self shrink into no space) come up in the UK second hand for <£300 I can't see why they wouldn't in the US... But you need to be patient.
Old 27 August 2019, 08:51   #16

BTW. If I was converting a flat trailer like that, I'd spend some time looking at sailing dinghy trailers and roadbases... It should be possible to have a flat base that serves multiple functions and multiple top sections...
Old 27 August 2019, 08:54   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch63 View Post
I like this thread and the question was straight forward. Roykirk wants to save some money (who doesn’t ), do some DIY work to make a trailer best fitted to his boat expectations and needs.
So, why nobody helped him to accomplish his dream. I went though all this thread and found only “advising” to change Roykirk’s motivation of building something he wants.
Unfortunately i can’t help him because I carry my inflatable boat deflated inside my car but eventually I want to have a small and might be a foldable trailer and why I have to pay at least two times more for the trailer instead of buying cheap one and modify it for my needs.
So far I found two cheap trailers. One is 40 x 48 and another is foldable 4 ft x 8 ft, locally at Freight Harbor store and I would like to modify the smallest one. In addition of savings, no needs to pay for shipping.
I hope that someone will give the proper advice to many boaters who want have a trailer but not so expensive.
By the way, I have no idea why trailers for the boats so expensive even a small basic one.
so post 2 wasn't helpful?
Old 27 August 2019, 09:03   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch63 View Post
I like this thread and the question was straight forward. Roykirk wants to save some money (who doesn’t ), do some DIY work
great

Quote:
because some dreams are just that - not reality

Quote:
to make a trailer best fitted to his boat expectations and needs.
that will come from a purpose made boat trailer - not a bodge of a utility trailer never intended to see salt water, or a trailer that poorly fits his prized boat and leads to its damage. He's come looking for the wisdom of the crowd and been offered it. He can choose to ignore it and prove us all wrong - but there's plenty of miserly buggers here who have learned the hard way that buying cheap and modifying is rarely the bargain you think it will be.

Quote:
... eventually I want to have a small and might be a foldable trailer and why I have to pay at least two times more for the trailer instead of buying cheap one and modify it for my needs.
- market forces (very few people want what you do, so it is a niche product with high design overhead)
- forgotten value of your own time
- cheap trailers aren't necessarily a good starting point for a project.
- 2x a small number is still quite a small number
- skill and expertise comes either with experience or a value - so getting it right first time rarely happens to novices; remember to factor in the failed attempts to your true cost.
- if you had the skill and expertise to do this you wouldn't be looking on the internet for it.

Quote:
Sounds like you have found your market niche to set up building low cost boat trailers, disrupting and undercutting the whole market and become rich beyond your wildest dreams...

...unless of course:
  • boat trailers need to cope with (salt) water immersion and you don't have the ability to galvanise trailers
  • boat trailers need to come in a wide range of sized, configurations etc which means you need many designs and different stock
  • loaded boat trailers are likely to be designed for at least 0.5 tonnes travelling at 60 mph and have the potential to cause serious harm or death to people caught in their path so have various regulatory requirements, design expectations, certifications, and insurances
  • many boat trailers are left at least 6 months of the year heavily laden; whilst most garden utility trailers are only laden for about 6 hours a year.
Old 27 August 2019, 10:02   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum Crunch63... in truth you make a fair point. But one that's really been answered already in that many have tried this and that to find out which ideas need discarding so we just tend to offer best advice based on experience.

Hence my reply early on to try a few more times to practice the SIB assembly at the launch point. We have been doing that for about ten years and find it a small hassle compared with the convenience of not needing a trailer with all the associated storage/towing/maintenance issues.

To me the main advantage of sub 4m SIBs is the ability to store them packed away and transport in the car boot.

Tags
sib