Old 22 March 2017, 00:26   #101

Word of warning, the santa fe and sorentos of newer vintage seem to suffer clutch slip whilst towing, assuming you get a manual and diesel, you may have different specs there though?
Old 23 March 2017, 02:40   #102

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Word of warning, the santa fe and sorentos of newer vintage seem to suffer clutch slip whilst towing, assuming you get a manual and diesel, you may have different specs there though?
Most cars sold here are autos as they perform better on seriouse off-road.

This guy does some pretty good reviews and doesn't hold back, click onto his list of dozens of reviews.

Old 23 March 2017, 08:10   #103

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Most cars sold here are autos as they perform better on seriouse off-road.

This guy does some pretty good reviews and doesn't hold back, click onto his list of dozens of reviews.

I like him[emoji106] where was he when they gave Chris Evans the Top Gear gig?[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:20   #104
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I like him
Me too - he scored the Isuzu above the VW! Luckily for buyers here D-Max come with a six speed box and 400Nm - I wonder how that would have left his decision?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	118616  
Old 23 March 2017, 11:01   #105

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Me too - he scored the Isuzu above the VW! Luckily for buyers here D-Max come with a six speed box and 400Nm - I wonder how that would have left his decision?

I'm guessing that's so it doesn't compete with the home grown Holden clone.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 March 2017, 22:51   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The D-max now comes with 440 Nm.

Watch some of his other videos, there are some great tips on buying and when to buy.

As for the Holden it's only the latest version that gets the thumbs up, the earlier ones were bagged to bits by him. By the way they aren't home grown and more a product of Thailand.

Personally I'm probably going to buy a Hyundai after a lifetime of Ford, Holden (Vauxhall) and Toyota. Simple reason is they now give 7 year 999000 unlimited warranty where most of the others are three years or 1000000.

The Hyundai are extremely popular in the rental business simply for their reliability and ability to do extremely high km (something we do here, 500km to the shops!!).

I have also considered a land rover Freelander as they are extremely cheap secondhand with low km, not sure if cheap and reliable go together though. The hyundai hold their money far better and are much harder to find secondhand ( in the model I want).
Old 24 March 2017, 08:05   #107

RIBase
Quote:
The D-max now comes with 440 Nm.

Watch some of his other videos, there are some great tips on buying and when to buy.

As for the Holden it's only the latest version that gets the thumbs up, the earlier ones were bagged to bits by him. By the way they aren't home grown and more a product of Thailand.

Personally I'm probably going to buy a Hyundai after a lifetime of Ford, Holden (Vauxhall) and Toyota. Simple reason is they now give 7 year 999000 unlimited warranty where most of the others are three years or 1000000.

The Hyundai are extremely popular in the rental business simply for their reliability and ability to do extremely high km (something we do here, 500km to the shops!!).

I have also considered a land rover Freelander as they are extremely cheap secondhand with low km, not sure if cheap and reliable go together though. The hyundai hold their money far better and are much harder to find secondhand ( in the model I want).

The mk1 Freelander was a dog, the Freelander 2 is a much better vehicle. Never owned/driven a Hyundai, but their small vans are highly regarded over here mechanically. The bodies are only made of tinfoil though.
Old 24 March 2017, 22:22   #108

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:

Hmm we only get 5 years here (not sure on mileage) Kia do 7 if you get them (santa fe and sportage are same car?)
Old 19 April 2017, 09:50   #109

Bought the Hyundai and now done a few thousand km, have to say it tows extremely well with great economy and plenty of power.

Old 19 April 2017, 15:53   #110

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
Bought the Hyundai and now done a few thousand km, have to say it tows extremely well with great economy and plenty of power.
What is your economy? I just came back from a week long trip and the average is 23mpg with a 6m rib and Ford Kuga.
Old 19 April 2017, 23:07   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
What is your economy? I just came back from a week long trip and the average is 23mpg with a 6m rib and Ford Kuga.
We don't do the gallons thing so you will need to convert these figures.

Driving it back from Sydney 350km it averaged 6.1 lt per 100 km.

Driving locally mainly short trips I'm getting 7.3 lt per 100km

Towing the boat at around the 1 ton fully fuelled and loaded with gear it's been sitting on 8.4 lt but this is to my local ramp which has a max speed limit of 80kmh, I'm expecting it to be closer to 10 lt per 100 on big trips up north (4500km each way).

Just to add this is the automatic model which most people use in this part of the world. My Toyota landcrusier almost doubled these figures.

Just checked an online converter.

6.1 not towing 46.31 mpg (British)
8.4 towing 33.63 mpg
Old 21 July 2017, 19:38   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
So I will be getting a company car soon

Really want an XC60 or maybe a cx-5 ( cx-5 might be an option) but pushes budget too far and adds a chunk of BIK
Update for anyone who wants to know

So after much consideration (had to serve a probationary period with new job) and driving an A4 saloon (not amazing but nice on the motorway) for the last 7 months and figuring out my mileage I decided to opt out and rather than pay tax on a car I didn't really want (nothing in budget really appealed and had an Alfa Guilia turned down) to have a car I did want and pay for the privilege .......

Drove the new CX-5 and it's lovely and I probably should have gone for it but have managed to get what I hope is a good deal on the older shape Xc60 should be great towing and everyone I asked who has one absolutely loves it so for the first time in my life I am buying a new car will loose a nice RIB worth of value in the first couple of years but employer is covering that with allowance and I can keep it till 7 years old and keep claiming the allowance so hoping to start putting some into the toy fund after a couple of years!
Old 22 July 2017, 23:58   #113

Just returned from my first decent tow test with a the Hyundai. Towed my 550 zodiac pro on a heavy duty trailer 3900km up the coast for some remote island hoping.

The car had a large roof pod, 4 passengers and enough fishing and diving gear to last most people a life time!!!! The boat had a 100 lt underfloor fuel tank + another 100 lt in Jerry cans and 80lt of drinking water, so quite well loaded. Our best fuel for the trip worked out at 9.1lt per 100km on a tank full of fuel and our worst was 10.4lt per hundred.

Must admit I'm thrilled with the comfort level and sheer get up and go when I need to overtake a triple trailer truck. I'm now fully converted from the Toyota landcruser.
Old 02 September 2017, 09:27   #114

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Interesting thread.....I've decided it willbe soon time to change my aging (09) plate 1.9D X-trail which now got nearly 200,000k miles on the clock.

Apart from an ongoing issues with DPF sensors, it's been a great car - only had change the original clutch 6 months ago, on 2nd set of brake disks everything else still original. However not so taken with new model X-trail

So requirements:
I'm opted out of company car scheme it will be my car (unlikey to get PCP on my mileage)
Comfortable - regularly spend 5-6 hours a day in it
Fuel efficient - I do 25,000 miles per year mainly motorway business need
4x4 for towing / slipway work
Well built - I will expect it to last 8+ years and 200,000+ miles
Would like petrol / hybrid ideally but don't think there are many 4x4 options
Decent boot space for boat kit / family stuff when we and dog go away
Good bluetooth / voice techologhy for 'phone
Budget as little as possible but realisically £25-27K + trade in of X-trail

Need to weigh up estate car 4x4 variant e.g. Skoda Octavia 4x4 type v. SUV X-trail type - I've go used to the higher driving position and clearance on slips / rough ground in boatyards etc and ability to go of the tarmac, so incling towards the SUV type but not absolute on that yet.

On the list:
Skoda Kodiaq
Skoda Octavia 4x4estate
Seat Alteca
Hyundi Santa Fe / Tucson
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi Outlander

Anything else within budget / requirement that I should consider - Disco or XC60 would be nice but way over budget and outside fuel economy I need.

not having looked at any cars for 8 years (focussed on boats!!) I'm not really up to speed on the best things on the market.

Thanks,
LT
Old 02 September 2017, 09:36   #115

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Skoda Kodiaq
Skoda Octavia 4x4estate
Seat Alteca
Hyundi Santa Fe / Tucson
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi Outlander
Consider Kuga 4x4. We've (2+2 family) driven all the way to Port Grimaud with a 6m RIB and no problems. Ticks all your boxes, but you want to make sure that boot space is enough. It is enough for us, but it's a bit smaller than Mondeo (and probably X-trail).
Another option I'm considering is a Ford Edge, but I've not pulled the trigger yet (Mondeo still works, only 160k miles).
Old 02 September 2017, 10:51   #116

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Interesting thread.....I've decided it willbe soon time to change my aging (09) plate 1.9D X-trail which now got nearly 200,000k miles on the clock.

Apart from an ongoing issues with DPF sensors, it's been a great car - only had change the original clutch 6 months ago, on 2nd set of brake disks everything else still original. However not so taken with new model X-trail

So requirements:
I'm opted out of company car scheme it will be my car (unlikey to get PCP on my mileage)
Comfortable - regularly spend 5-6 hours a day in it
Fuel efficient - I do 25,000 miles per year mainly motorway business need
4x4 for towing / slipway work
Well built - I will expect it to last 8+ years and 200,000+ miles
Would like petrol / hybrid ideally but don't think there are many 4x4 options
Decent boot space for boat kit / family stuff when we and dog go away
Good bluetooth / voice techologhy for 'phone
Budget as little as possible but realisically £25-27K + trade in of X-trail

Need to weigh up estate car 4x4 variant e.g. Skoda Octavia 4x4 type v. SUV X-trail type - I've go used to the higher driving position and clearance on slips / rough ground in boatyards etc and ability to go of the tarmac, so incling towards the SUV type but not absolute on that yet.

On the list:
Skoda Kodiaq
Skoda Octavia 4x4estate
Seat Alteca
Hyundi Santa Fe / Tucson
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi Outlander

Anything else within budget / requirement that I should consider - Disco or XC60 would be nice but way over budget and outside fuel economy I need.

not having looked at any cars for 8 years (focussed on boats!!) I'm not really up to speed on the best things on the market.

Thanks,
LT
I do similar work mileages and took the cash option in Feb.
I had already bought a t30 xtrail for wifey to use ( and for me to use on the beach at the weekends) and so i bought a mazda 6 for work / personal use.
However i am tempted to p/x mine for the newer xtrail or subaru outback.
Old 02 September 2017, 11:41   #117

Thought I should Update this as I started it. Have opted out and ordered a 2wd XC60 plenty to tow my current trailer and anything I am likely to own in the next 10 years

Nothing I wanted to drive in company budget that would tow really fingers crossed I haven't made a huge mistake got a bit carried away with the spec.........

Good deals on old model xc60 if you an find one I went for 2 years 0% PCP as I needed finance and would rather pay 2 years 0% then 3 at % than 5 at %

Company limit is 7 years old so looking at that as minimum

Plenty of auto awd still around just have to phone every dealer and ask
Old 02 September 2017, 17:46   #118

Town: Nottingham
RIBase
Quote:
On the list:
Skoda Kodiaq
Skoda Octavia 4x4estate
Seat Alteca
Hyundi Santa Fe / Tucson
Subaru Forester
Mitsubishi Outlander
Of those I'd go with the Forester or either Skoda. I haven't towed with a new-shape forester but the old ones were amazing. The Octavia is a good towcar but the hitch is quite low - depends which slips you need to use.
Old 02 September 2017, 20:13   #119

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 25
How about a Toyota?
Old 02 September 2017, 20:35   #120

Town: Dublin
Mazda CX5?